DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread

Go down 
+110
rgillies
jdc
bakerfall
DaleCooper
White Man In Hammersmith
acousticbandit
thomas94
Hanswurst
saltandburn1967
Erik Drost
IFeelBlue
songs like a comfort
bringiton_ty
Fic21
azlisa
Breanne
ghosttocoast
bobbyjames
Zapuda
Blueatnight22
Prisoner
03aarm
A_Regular
StitchesOnTheRadio
thecosmickid
madsmom
kirstyt
crutchfield
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Kosburn59
Jack
Jeff
LuceroDiehard
Velocity
miked331
ifieverstray
SirBrad
JJW319
fullcollapse
RobertODonnell
rumham
mercyandaminute
nebraska
marcsnitz
Don Carlo
jeffrey2
ral
riversedge
Labhras
enola
JasonTateAPnet
DavyGrolton
El Jefe
brucesboots
AmSlang59
A lazy old tomcat
TheEmptyBones
Harbortown
heartlikeatomb
jonnyz83
nico0493
Klown
Shrewsbury_Stars
big blue
Tom1911
Bea
Pridevsprose
Red_Heels
EveryLittleSecret
steady now steady now
CasanovaBaby90
holdonnow
gaslightfan89
Casey
Jay
The Angry Johnny Revue
'49mercury
Forum Owner
theBasemen
AngryJohnnyN1930
TGAFAN25
YouCanCallMeSally
Holland
bringiton
Camus
vamike
ksupilot
stephendgaf
Jerseyrain
NeverTrustAJunkie
jzancan
DannySmith
simo
JimmyB
J_Bizness
njguy99
TGAforLIFE
Steve70s
luckysparks
Christophe
randomhero78
HorribleCrowe
loazis
Van Der Twix
DeathoftheCool
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Debonair
eagles1139
plugga
steph
114 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Sorry for any typos, I may or may not be half distracted by Take Me Out.

'Tom Petty Songs Played By Pearl Jam'

Fresh out of the studio, Brian Fallon reveals the heavy truth about the next GASLIGHT ANTHEM album.

Brian Fallon is in a van when Uncut calls, just leaving Nashville, on his way home to New Jersey. About fourteen hours he reckons, but with two of his bandmates sharing the driving, nothing too onerous and nothing The Gaslight Anthem haven't endured umpteen variations on before.

The band have spent five weeks at Nashville's Blackbird Studio, recording Handwritten, their fourth LP- and first for new label Mercury. It is produced by Brendan O'Brien, producer of a run of 21st century LPs for Bruce Springsteen. It will not, evidently, mark the point at which the Anthem distance themselves from their inspiration and mentor.

"Yeah," says Fallon. "I did think of that, that everyone's gonna bring up the Bruce thing again, but I've always said let's just do what works. And who better to make it sound like us and not like Bruce than the guy who did Bruce? He knows all of Bruce's tricks, right? And anyway, he said he didn't think we sounded like Bruce."

Really? "Yeah I said 'Really?', too" laughs Fallon. "But it's a much heavier sound than before. It's a realguitar rock record, loud and heavy. We normally have kind of jangly indie guitars, and it's not like that. If I have to compare it to anything, it sounds like Tom Petty songs played by Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters."

This is something of a surprise. Last summer, while promoting the debut LP The Horrible Crowes- a side project he established with Gaslight Anthem roadie Ian Perkins- Fallon told New York Magazine he was just bored and didn't want to write any more rock 'n' roll songs.

"Which was true at the time," he says."So I immersed myself in non rock 'n' roll things, did that acoustic Revival Tour in Europe [with Dan Andriano, Chuck Ragan and Dave Hause]. After six weeks of that there's nothing you want to hear more than a Marshall stack turned all the way up."

Fallon reveals Handwritten will contain 11 tracks, and parts with the titles of three- 'Here Comes My Man', '45' and 'Handwritten'. For all that Fallon suggests it's a raucous rock 'n' roll, he admits he learnt from the more measured approach taken on the Horrible Crowes' (terrific) album, Elsie. "That really affected how I was writing," he explains. "The reason for the title of Handwritten is that everything was written almost as journals- the songs are real stories about my life and things that my friend's have gone through. I just trimmed all the fat, made it as direct as it could be.

Fallon refers, with heartening guilessness, to Bruce's progression from the impressionistic lyrical jumbles of Greetings From Asbury Park, to the more straight forward writing in his later work. "He's helped deal with the changes as they come," says Fallon. "He's good at reminding you it's only a rock 'n' roll band. Even if you get rich, it's just a house, it's just a car, you're just a guy."

Fallon has shared the stage with Bruce more than once, most famously at Hyde Park in 2010. Did that endless sea of faces not look at all daunting from behind the microphone? "I'll take it," say Fallon. "I want it. I'm still a kid in a candy store with this stuff."

Handwritten will be released by Mercury Records in June. The Gaslight Anthem play London's Koko on June 11.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:25 pm

thanks for posting dude.
Back to top Go down
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:27 pm

No problem Smile
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 7:56 pm

Thank you for taking the time to type up that article, Luckysparks. Smile

Okay, so there will only be 11 songs, meaning that we still don't know the titles to five of them. And Tom Petty songs played by Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters sounds perfect. Just perfect! I will lose my mind waiting for this record. I just will. geek
Back to top Go down
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 8:07 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
I will lose my mind waiting for this record. I just will. geek

It's easily done, I know I'm halfway there!!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 pm

thanks for sharing, luckysparks!

i get excited about this record if i think about it. maybe that's why i haven't been listening to Gaslight as much lately. i have absolutely no patience whatsoever, so if i thought about it, it might drive me crazy.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 10:25 pm

I feel like we're REALLY close to getting a release date / tracklisting / possibly first single announcement
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 10:29 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
I feel like we're REALLY close to getting a release date / tracklisting / possibly first single announcement

oh shit, when the first single comes out, then i'm gonna lose all my patience! Mad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:55 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:

I REALLY HOPE SO!!! Oh that would be exciting! So....It's gonna be out in June?!! Sweet!!!

Anyone wanna take a guess at what day in June? Maybe like RIGHT BEFORE THEIR SHOW IN KOKO??? Very Happy

Oh, and I also think I'm gonna lose my mind waiting for this record...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 6:48 am

"If I have to compare it to anything, it sounds like Tom Petty songs played by Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters."

So...the record will sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkiLR5Ehys&ob=av2e Very Happy . Okay...
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 am

thanks for typing, Luckysparks...

I'm also wondering what "Tom Petty songs played by Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters" sounds like!

It's either going to be exactly what we'd expect from TGA (hard guitar lines, beautiful lyrics) or something way out there...
Back to top Go down
J_Bizness
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 pm

It's probably going to sound more like Springsteen than 59 Sound... hahahah. Though Here Comes My Man is a similar title to Here Comes My Girl..
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 pm

I would be okay with a Springsteen flavor. After all Springsteen's song "we take care of our own" has the Gaslight style of intro.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:25 pm

I think We Take Care of Our Own sounds like an Arcade Fire song. Not that that's bad.
Back to top Go down
DannySmith
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 am

Words cannot describe my excitement for the new album Very Happy I like the sound of a 12 string rickenbacker.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 pm

simo wrote:
I think We Take Care of Our Own sounds like an Arcade Fire song. Not that that's bad.

My sentiments exactly. A buddy of mine and I were having that exact same discussion the other day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:56 pm

It's funny, someone said to me recently that the only people who associate Gaslight with NJ and even Bruce are people from around here. But I didn't agree. Articles mention him in conjunction with Gaslight constantly so how can people not be beginning to associate them with Jersey.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Great post. So we have a release month. I hope its before Koko then we get chance to know the new stuff first. Either way its excited. I knida knew it would be early summer. Junes gonna be a hell of a month with Gaslight Pearl Jam and Bruce all playing. And now this too!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
DannySmith
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:17 am

Just like the 59 sound in 08, I have something to make my Summer!
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 pm

american slang didn't make your summer?
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:49 pm

and i know we can never really trust what brian says things will sound like but tom petty songs played by foo fighters sounds right up my alley.
Back to top Go down
ksupilot
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:46 am

Haven't posted in awhile but I cant wait for the new album!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 am

stephendgaf wrote:
and i know we can never really trust what brian says things will sound like but tom petty songs played by foo fighters sounds right up my alley.

That sounds not up my alley at all haha but I'm sure I'll like it.
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:19 am

simo wrote:
stephendgaf wrote:

That sounds not up my alley at all haha but I'm sure I'll like it.

yup, Foo Fighters are BS

I love the bands I love because they don't sound like the Foo Fighters
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 am

I still bet that somebody from the bands lurks around on this forums once or twice a week!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread   Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handwritten - the 2012 new album thread
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next