DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?

Go down 
+21
enola
Shrewsbury_Stars
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Debonair
Jerseyrain
Matilda Noir
Kilgore Trout
IrishNameAndAnInjury
loazis
plugga
Holland
steady now steady now
Bea
steph
CluckyB
RobertODonnell
JimmyB
TGAFAN25
simo
Harbortown
rumham
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Talk about an unfriendly topic on this board since people are on both sides about the topic. But rather than focusing on the knee jerk "I feel betrayed" or "you can't fault them for signing opinion", let's discuss what really is relevant. Do you think Gaslight finds major success at the next level? Does the sound of the gaslight anthem change to find mass appeal? Do they burn out and return to Side1?

Pick the direction you go with it...

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:44 pm

This is EXACTLY what will happen:

Benny Horowitz has a nervous breakdown from being on the same record company as Justin Bieber. It's permanent and doctors find no cure. In a fit of confusion he quits the band and goes to live with tigers in south India.
Alex Levine signs a deal with a publisher to star in erotic novels about himself to sell to the lonely housewives market. His first release is "Plucking a different kind of string" which sells three hundred thousand copies.

Alex R, Brian and Ian are corrupted with the glamours and temptations of corporate luxury and agree to start a rap metal band, The Horrible G's, cracking out smash hits like "The homies of lower Compton", "I witnessed a crime (But didn't tell 'cuz I ain't a snitch)", "Copkiller" and "Gold bling and white t-shirts".

Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:02 pm

And Brian will get a tear drop tattoo.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 pm

I think if the band continues to write songs with the caliber they currently have, then they will become very popular as a result of the increased exposure and radio airplay that come with a major label.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:00 pm

While I got a laugh from harbor. (Thanks btw, you made my day a bit better), I personally think it is a crap shot...next record probably decides it.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:20 am

They'll keep being awesome. All previous evidence supports it.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 4:58 am

Who knows. Who really cares. As long as they continue to make awesome songs I'll be happy. I think they hope to finally reach the upper echalons of rock stardom by doing it, but I also think they are smart enough not to count on it. Against me didn't go much further by signing to a major label. Neither did Lucero. But look what happened to Rise Against.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 7:27 am

Harbortown wrote:
This is EXACTLY what will happen:

Benny Horowitz has a nervous breakdown from being on the same record company as Justin Bieber. It's permanent and doctors find no cure. In a fit of confusion he quits the band and goes to live with tigers in south India.
Alex Levine signs a deal with a publisher to star in erotic novels about himself to sell to the lonely housewives market. His first release is "Plucking a different kind of string" which sells three hundred thousand copies.

Alex R, Brian and Ian are corrupted with the glamours and temptations of corporate luxury and agree to start a rap metal band, The Horrible G's, cracking out smash hits like "The homies of lower Compton", "I witnessed a crime (But didn't tell 'cuz I ain't a snitch)", "Copkiller" and "Gold bling and white t-shirts".

i know this is wrong, but i kind of want this happen...
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 7:37 am

no disrespect to anybody, but am i the only one who's getting kind of tired of this subject?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 am

Bea wrote:
no disrespect to anybody, but am i the only one who's getting kind of tired of this subject?

not if it produces great satire
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:20 am

I think what will happen is they will totally overproduce the backing vocals of Alex R who will then become the frontman and Brian will go and join the Killers because he sounds exactly like Brandon Flowers.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:55 am

this forum is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 am

I wanted to write something funny but I figured I cannot compete with "The Horrible G's" right now so I'll let let slide.

They will get big. BIG.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Personally, I see Benny saying they are bigger than Jesus, Finding a girl which tears apart the fabric of the band, and recording a bunch of Track number nine stuff... 9Whoever gets this, gets an internet cookie
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:36 pm

JimmyB wrote:
Personally, I see Benny saying they are bigger than Jesus, Finding a girl which tears apart the fabric of the band, and recording a bunch of Track number nine stuff... 9Whoever gets this, gets an internet cookie

AAAHHHHHH! No Yoko! Wink
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Harbortown, you are hilarious! I almost choked on my breakfast this morning when I read about The Horrible GS.

Seriously though, I think the guys will make it big with this next record, at least I hope they do, and I don't see their music drastically changing, regardless of what label they are with. Brian's writing is just getting better and although they may evolve over time (which they should to some extent), they will remain the same hardworking, down to earth rockers that we all know and love. I think they have too much integrity to change who they are or what they do just to get more fans. I have high hopes for them.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:20 pm

If we can disregard my own unpopular reaction, here's what I think. I'm guessing at some point we'll have a chart-topping band that continues to be thought of as "alternative," like the National or The Decemberists. Remember when the Arcade Fire won a Grammy and all those angry Beiber fans went "WHO ARE THE SUBURBS?!"....I'm thinking it'll be like that. Lots of local alt-radio play and probably exposure from National Public Radio; somebody you've heard of, but not the next Foo Fighters or Green Day.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Yes. Then brian will be a guest judge on American Idol, 'songs from the disco era' night.
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Eff it, I'd watch. And love it.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:
Eff it, I'd watch. And love it.

me too Neutral I eagerly await his acoustic rendition of "I Will Survive."
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Everyone would watch, even though not everybody would admit it. Come to think of it, Brian and Steven Tyler on the same judging panel could be really entertaining! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 3:49 pm

This thread needs a "like" button.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 4:42 pm

I can't see why they wont go from strength to strength providing the song writing retains its quality. I think a few records on a big label and they may create their own label to avoid the pressures that a big label provides but this band definitely will grow in popularity and be around for years to come.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 4:43 pm

jerseyrain wrote:
I think a few records on a big label and they may create their own label to avoid the pressures that a big label provides but this band definitely will grow in popularity and be around for years to come.

so basically do what Against Me! did ?
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:58 pm

I just think that, no matter how big they are, they will never be rock stars in the traditional sense of the word. I think they simply came up too late for that to happen. I'm thinking the last true contemporary stars for people in their twenties (for the next several years anyway) are Dave Grohl, Thom Yorke, Billie Joe Armstrong, Rivers Cuomo, maybe a few others. The internet as a tool for building your fan base doesn't really gibe with the traditional methods of getting famous (waiting to be "discovered") and I think that at least as long as indie roots are the new way to get noticed, Gaslight will enjoy huge record sales, ample exposure, etc---but never really attain celebrity status. Nor am I positive they want to, even if they plan on making a lucrative career out of their work. I could be wrong there though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?   Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you think Gaslight propels into stardom after signing with Mercury?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next