DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem

Go down 
+15
Prisoner
mingus
Gumption
Down by the Mersey
chickenman
CluckyB
Harbortown
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Daire
Jerseyrain
TGAFAN25
steady now steady now
loazis
simo
LuceroDiehard
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Empty
PostSubject: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:32 pm

http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/david-massey-123.htm

DK: Who are the other artists & bands that you've signed to Mercury?

Massey: We just signed a great rock band called The Gaslight Anthem; they're from New Jersey. The lead singer & writer is Brian Fallon, who some people say has the charisma of a young Bruce Springsteen. In fact, Springsteen has performed onstage with the band. Their two albums (on independent labels) have already combined to sell an impressive 200,000. The Gaslight Anthem's first album on Mercury will be released next summer.

President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Th_1271ea7e55fde5ae36657d5682db20df

Last edited by bobbyw24 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 pm

I guess he hasn't even heard Sink or Swim.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:38 pm

simo wrote:

Ha--good point.

My daughter would be very sad without SoS
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Funny and typical how he speaks not of how good the (two... Razz) albums were but how much copies they sold.

Ah well, I have faith in the boys.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:46 pm

simo wrote:

oh well; he is clearly a man who thinks 'sales', so maybe SoS doesn't figure
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 4:02 pm

True - I just find it funny because it seems like there is a good chunk of people that think that The '59 Sound was their debut.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm

If I signed a band to my record label, you bet your ass I'd know how many albums they have...

Interesting....
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Seems a bit of a joke to me. What must the band think reading that. Its already clear that such a big label cant give them the same attention and respect that S1D gave them. Better for their careers yes but S1D cared enough to know everything! Disappointing this
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:49 pm

He's the President of the record company; THE PRESIDENT! It's not his job to know the back catalogue of every single band on his label. Particularly a small, new signing. It's his job to make sure the board are doing their job.

Anyway, I'd bet every last cent I have they weren't signed off of how good SoS but rather the marketability value from the 59 Sound/American Slang nostalgia thing they have going on. And the Springsteen thing.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Of course. All of that is true. But it still doesn't look good to not know the facts about a band, although we are the only ones that would even catch that.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 6:09 pm

The president's ignorance put to the side, I'm quite impressed by that number. I would've guessed around 30 to 40 thousand sales an album, no more than that.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 6:10 pm

As the big fans maybe we're just over reacting coz we care so much I guess. Even the President should do his research though...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 6:15 pm

You guys are overreacting.

Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 7:04 pm

While it isn't the president's job to do all the research on all the bands they sign, there are people's whose job it is to properly inform him. Mecury needs to realize they have to tread fairly carefully with Gaslight - there are a ton of people out there who are already fans and are suspicious whether or not this whole Mercury thing is going to work out -- and getting basic facts about them wrong won't help any perceptions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 9:58 pm

hmm......maybe TGA should have talked to Tom Gabel about his experience with the major label.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:26 am

Like it or not, the record industry, and Gaslight as well, depends on this kind of people. And I don't think the band will be too dissapointed to learn that the president of their new label, probably a person they won't be talking to much anyway, sees a huge potential in the them.
Back to top Go down
Down by the Mersey
Wooderson
Wooderson
Down by the Mersey

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:58 am

There will be a guy or girl in the Mercury office who helped signed the band slapping their head at their President's words! Probably shouting at their screen "I told him about SoS!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/bosshugo
Gumption
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 am

I don't think he said anything wrong. My guess is Sink or Swim did not sell a ton of copies, so he is referencing the two with sales worth noting. Regardless, you spazzes need to calm down.
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:20 am

Harbortown wrote:

quoted for truth!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:53 pm

mingus wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

quoted for truth!

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Sink Or Swim got TGA a big solid fanbase within the punk community, even within the Netherlands.
An important record in the career of TGA.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 6:54 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
mingus wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

quoted for truth!

Yep.

Yeah, I mean he's the head of a company that has hundreds of artists, he's not going to know every little detail about every band on the label. Basically if i had to guess he gets briefed by someone and goes off what he's told. If i also had to guess, I bet gaslight doesn't speak to him. They probly report to some under manager who knows them.

To be fair though yes being on a major label means your not going to know everyone, and everyone's not going to know you. But hey that's what you sacrifice for more sucess
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:38 am

here is more from http://clizbeats.com/the-gaslight-anthem-signs-with-mercury-records10211101/ but I am not sure where they got these statements/quotes, though the site is very legit, as I can't find this news anywhere else

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM SIGNS WITH MERCURY RECORDS!
October 21, 2011
The Gaslight Anthem

New York, NY- Ending weeks of speculation, The Gaslight Anthem, the red-hot New Jersey-based indie band has signed with Mercury Records, it was announced today by David Massey, president of Mercury Records, a division of Island Def Jam Music Group. The band will release its long-awaited fourth album in early 2012. “The Mercury team is so proud and excited to work with The Gaslight Anthem,” said David Massey. “They are one of the most important and respected young bands in the world today. As recording artists and live performers, The Gaslight Anthem are destined for a very long and extraordinary career.”

The Gaslight Anthem – Brian Fallon (lead vocals, guitar), Alex Rosamilia (guitar, vocals), Alex Levine (bass, vocals), and Benny Horowitz(drums, percussion) – has released three full-length indie albums to date: Sink Or Swim (2007, XOXO Records), The ’59 Sound (2008, SideOneDummy Records), and American Slang (June 2010, SideOneDummy).

“We are pleased to announce that we’ve signed to Mercury Records US and Vertigo Records in the UK, it’s been a long road for us.” Said Brian Fallon. “We’ve always had a goal in mind and we’ve always tried to take things one step at a time. We waited to move to each step as we felt we were ready as a band, regardless of what people told us we were ready for, we waited until we felt it in our hearts. Now we feel it’s time for the next step, we look forward to the future… now let’s write the best record we’ve ever done.”

With tons of critical raves for their down-to earth roots music sound, The Gaslight Anthem has won strong and loyal followings across the U.S., Japan, and especially in the UK. They’ve played UK’s prestigious Glastonbury Festival as well rocking in front of hundreds of thousands of festival goers in the U.S. on the stages of Lollapalooza, Bonaroo and Coachella.

Most recently on late-night television, American audiences caught The Gaslight Anthem when they appeared (for the second time!) on CBS’sThe Late Show with David Letterman in the spring 2011. They performed “Bring It On,” a track from American Slang. Gaslight Anthem has also appeared on NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Conan, and ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 12:44 pm

We have known for the last 3-4 years how good they are , looks like our secret is out.
good luck to them they deserve it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 am

CluckyB wrote:
While it isn't the president's job to do all the research on all the bands they sign, there are people's whose job it is to properly inform him. Mecury needs to realize they have to tread fairly carefully with Gaslight - there are a ton of people out there who are already fans and are suspicious whether or not this whole Mercury thing is going to work out -- and getting basic facts about them wrong won't help any perceptions.
Tons of suspicous fans? More like a few people on here! Most Gaslight fans I know don't know/care about the label change and don't see it as even worth discussing.

Lets wait to see how good the album is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem   President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President of Mercury Records Discusses Signing The Gaslight Anthem
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next