DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen

Go down 
+6
Gaslight23
loazis
BuddyHolly
enola
plugga
LuceroDiehard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Empty
PostSubject: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Brian Fallon, front man for New Jersey nostalgia punks the Gaslight Anthem, is dipping a toe into gentler waters: His new band, the Horrible Crowes — influenced by somber sounds from the likes of Greg Dulli, PJ Harvey, and the National — drops their hymn-esque Elsie on September 6. Fallon recently called up Vulture, while on the deck of a fishing boat in Sandy Hook, to talk about forming his new band, sticking by his old crew, and his trademark awkward stage moves.
 NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen A_250x375

The Horrible Crowes’ stuff is darker and slower than Gaslight. How come?
I was bored. After the last record for Gaslight Anthem, I was just bored. I still had the desire to write, but I didn’t want to write anymore rock n roll songs. I was in this weird mood; I had just gotten this PJ Harvey record, and this was right around the time that High Violet came out from the National, too. So there’s all these records that were slower and moodier, and I couldn’t get away from it. I wondered, If I wrote a couple songs like this, what would it sound like? And then [Horrible Crowes bandmate] Ian [Perkins] and I started talking and I said, "Well, I’m gonna try and write some songs, and then you write some bass lines and guitar lines over them and we’ll see what it sounds like." And it ended up sounding really good.

Ian Perkins was your guitar tech for Gaslight. Had you ever written with him before?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/the_gaslight_anthems_brian_fal.html
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Empty
PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Quote :
"Look, you took from me, and now my son’s taking from you. It all comes full circle." That’s how he says it. I do impressions on the weekends.

AHAHAHHAHA
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Great interview! I can nearlypiture Brian in this little boat fishing. I love the part about Ian. Does that mean Ian's gonnabe in TGA now that he's been writing songs with Brian?
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender
BuddyHolly

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 5:51 pm

I know. So who’s Elsie?
See, that’s a secret, I can’t you tell that. But I can tell you this: The name came from a quote. There was this certain person and he asked another certain person, “Hey, while you were in there … and I won’t tell you where ‘there’ is … did you dance with Elsie?” And he goes: “Of course you did, we all did.” And he goes: “That was a bad time for you, wasn’t it, boy?” It’s about all those crazy, messed up relationships that people have that they should learn from and they don’t. [Ed note: Sorry, Brian. It's from the Mighty Boosh!]

It would be really funny if the albumtitle actually has been taken from that quote of The Mighty Boosh.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Awesome interview Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:14 pm

This interview is brilliant! I can just imagine Brian doing the impressions haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Quote :
We’ve written more songs for Gaslight Anthem now — we just started writing two weeks ago and there’s four songs — and he’s shown up on every one of them. So I don’t know what’s going on with him

So Ian is going to be on the new TGA record also
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 am

Mighty Boosh! Very Happy That's hilarious. He should've named the album Old Greg and used a water color picture of Bailey's as the cover art.
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:43 am

This was an excellent interview.......definitely one of my favorite TGA related interviews in a while.

I can't stop thinking about what's going to become of Ian and TGA. What if they make him an official member. Do you think they would do that and if so, how would that impact the band.......positively and/or negatively?

Also, in regards to the new album, I love the idea of somewhat revisting the sound of "The 59 Sound"/"Senor and the Queen", as Brian stated. Sonically, those are my favorite TGA albums, in terms of my musical preferences. With that said, while I'm super excited to hear Brian say that (I'm sure most fans will be stoked to hear that as well), I'm not getting my hopes up, as Brian appears very conflicted about revisiting the sounds of those albums. Plus, it's early in the process of creating the new album, with lots of time to implement changes; not to mention Brian's album descriptions (pre-release) do not always match the actual sound of the album(s) once released, so when it's all said and done, who knows if the new album will sound anything like '59S/SATQ. I personally would like to see TGA achieve a balance, where they remain true to various elements of the sound that made them who they are, without having to re-do the same album, but instead making a slow, gradual, and natural progression (as oppossed to trying to force a certain sound). Whether it is or isn't in the direction of '59S/SATQ, I'm just excited and grateful for a new TGA album!!!

Back to top Go down
Tamery
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 am

good info thanks
Back to top Go down
http://perfectresume.org/how-to-write-a-cover-letter.php
FrimFramable
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
FrimFramable

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 am

Loved it! Smile

I also love how his favorite things (artists, bands, series etc.) are referenced to a lot in his music. Smile
It makes the music very personal and sincere.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/FrimFramable
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen    NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band,  the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NY Mag: Brian Fallon on His New Band, the Horrible Crowes, and His Pal Bruce Springsteen
Page 1 of 1