DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time to get ahead of ourselves...

Go down 
+18
rem999
jzancan
amberfoyd
RobertODonnell
clashcityrocker
carryon820
MKULTRA
Shrewsbury_Stars
steph
mbtshoes
Jay
loazis
Daire
DeathoftheCool
IKeeptheDiner
DaveSavedTheDay
Holland
Casey
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
clashcityrocker

Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Brian to try his hand at taking on some more socially conscience lyrics
No Dislike

I can't imagine anything more soul-crushingly not fun as Brian getting political on us.

Listen, I do NOT want them to be like Anti-Flag or anything, Brian is a talented songwriter and I'm sure he would be able to work it in. We're living in some really screwed up times. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to be socialy conscience in his lyrics.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 am

Harry Lime wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Brian to try his hand at taking on some more socially conscience lyrics
No Dislike

I can't imagine anything more soul-crushingly not fun as Brian getting political on us.

When I think of socially conscious lyrics from Gaslight, I think along the lines of Italian Lightning: "While the political lions and tigers and bears decide which of the cubs they'll be crucifying" and "My country what have you done to your girls" Also, We Came to Dance: "And in the sun-stabled arena/Of what's left or what's become of my America"

Its noticeable, while not being the main subject, making it relevant without being preachy. And if you haven't noticed, those songs rock. I'd be down for it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:06 pm

When I first heard Old Haunts, I assumed the chorus was about the depression.
Back to top Go down
rem999
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
rem999

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:23 am

carryon820 wrote:
Personally, this thought has been running through my head as well. I know it was just released, but for those of us who obtained the leaked version, we've been listening to American Slang for a bit longer it seems. Don't misinterpret, I'm in no way sick of it or anything, just more excited to hear what's in store for their next album.....and it'd be cool if they released a new one in late 2011 or early 2012.

As for the sound, sorry guys, not in to classic rock or guitar solos! I really respect and approve of Alex's guitar playing the way it is right now!

Now, as for piano, I would love to see piano used sporadically throughout an album or at least 2-3 tracks.

Harmonica.........I would absolutely LOVE! I heard the interview where Brian genuinely appeared interested in incorporating this in a song, but quickly backed off and replied that people would assume they were copying Bruce. I hate that shit!

But, my biggest change or addition that I would like to see TGA utilize would be better backing vocals! I'm sorry, but the Alex's playing abilities are great, but there vocals are definitely lacking! You don't notice this on the album much, but seeing them live, you can really see that improvement is needed. Personally, I would love backing vocals along the lines of Against Me! (Searching for a former clarity).

Overall, since I love the music so much I'm honestly not looking forward to dramatic changes. I would like to see them continue on the path that they've been on, progressing a little and slightly altering/developing their sound with each album that they release. Damn........I can't wait for another release!

the backing vocals on the album in my opinion were great, but thats because it wasn't the alexs singing. they brought in people from other bands for that. i agree though that live, both alex r and alex l should have their microphones taken away. leave the backing vocals to the crowd like at brians solo show in philly last january
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 5:11 am

rem999 wrote:
carryon820 wrote:
Personally, this thought has been running through my head as well. I know it was just released, but for those of us who obtained the leaked version, we've been listening to American Slang for a bit longer it seems. Don't misinterpret, I'm in no way sick of it or anything, just more excited to hear what's in store for their next album.....and it'd be cool if they released a new one in late 2011 or early 2012.

As for the sound, sorry guys, not in to classic rock or guitar solos! I really respect and approve of Alex's guitar playing the way it is right now!

Now, as for piano, I would love to see piano used sporadically throughout an album or at least 2-3 tracks.

Harmonica.........I would absolutely LOVE! I heard the interview where Brian genuinely appeared interested in incorporating this in a song, but quickly backed off and replied that people would assume they were copying Bruce. I hate that shit!

But, my biggest change or addition that I would like to see TGA utilize would be better backing vocals! I'm sorry, but the Alex's playing abilities are great, but there vocals are definitely lacking! You don't notice this on the album much, but seeing them live, you can really see that improvement is needed. Personally, I would love backing vocals along the lines of Against Me! (Searching for a former clarity).

Overall, since I love the music so much I'm honestly not looking forward to dramatic changes. I would like to see them continue on the path that they've been on, progressing a little and slightly altering/developing their sound with each album that they release. Damn........I can't wait for another release!

the backing vocals on the album in my opinion were great, but thats because it wasn't the alexs singing. they brought in people from other bands for that. i agree though that live, both alex r and alex l should have their microphones taken away. leave the backing vocals to the crowd like at brians solo show in philly last january

ouch!
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Personally I think it'd be cool if they added a few backup singers. Most of the songs have them on so how could it hurt?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Jay wrote:
Personally I think it'd be cool if they added a few backup singers. Most of the songs have them on so how could it hurt?

i dunno. they're a band. they do the music, not the hired help.

their backing vocals do suck though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:55 pm

i say leave the backing vocals the way they are. i dont like the idea of getting a hired gun to sing some stuff

Last edited by oldgospelchoir on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 12:09 am

in one of the videos of the making of american slang alex r is seen tracking some vox. i remember cause it was the first time i heard TSoJ cause i didnt have the leak haha.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:52 am

WingsForWheels wrote:
Jay wrote:

Well there are plenty of great bands who use backup singers. Like Springsteen to name one.

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 11:42 am

Jay wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:
Jay wrote:

Well there are plenty of great bands who use backup singers. Like Springsteen to name one.

yeah but the difference is Springsteen's band is a goddamn rock and roll orchestra, TGA are a four-piece. I don't know what the situation should be regarding backup singers, I think maybe just leave it to the fans.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Shockingly, Alex L. did address this topic in an interview:

Quote :
For now, I'm not into the idea of hiring new people just to fill out the sound. I feel like it may take away from the band dynamic. Maybe fifteen years from now, we'll add a couple background singers or something. But I think bands sometimes add those players a little prematurely.

I think background singers are generally a kind of ridiculous idea, especially for TGA.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 1:22 pm

im a springsteen fan, but really are there anyone else that's not along the lines of bruce, billy joel, elton john, you know big rock acts, that have back up singers? just bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:54 am

I'm not sure why using a harmonica immediately means a comparison to Bruce over Dylan or Neil Young. Bruce isn't the foremost harmonica player in rock (although he does an excellent job with it). I guess anything they do which bears any resemblence to anything Bruce has done will invoke comparison - is that really a bad thing?

Piano would be good but I'd prefer it in slower, stripped back songs.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 2:13 pm

All I ever wanted to hear was trumpet in the second chorus of Miles Davis & The Cool...
Back to top Go down
Better Sense
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Better Sense

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm

To be honest i just hope they still retain some of the raw punk sound from their earlier songs. I would love to see a few faster songs on the next album as Orphans really stood out for me on AS.
Back to top Go down
IFeelBlue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IFeelBlue

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Yeah man...Gaslight Anthem's songs are simply beautiful but I'm sure that even if they decide, one day, only to clap their hands for a whole song...there will be awesome music in any case Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 6:25 pm

IFeelBlue wrote:
Yeah man...Gaslight Anthem's songs are simply beautiful but I'm sure that even if they decide, one day, only to clap their hands for a whole song...there will be awesome music in any case Very Happy
haha yea, if they farted into a microphone we'd probably all still buy it!

not sure how that would work live though... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 6:45 pm

markbarlow wrote:
IFeelBlue wrote:
haha yea, if they farted into a microphone we'd probably all still buy it!

not sure how that would work live though... Twisted Evil

let's not get ahead of ourselves with that one Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time to get ahead of ourselves...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2