DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time to get ahead of ourselves...

Go down 
+18
rem999
jzancan
amberfoyd
RobertODonnell
clashcityrocker
carryon820
MKULTRA
Shrewsbury_Stars
steph
mbtshoes
Jay
loazis
Daire
DeathoftheCool
IKeeptheDiner
DaveSavedTheDay
Holland
Casey
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

Time to get ahead of ourselves... Empty
PostSubject: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 am

I was waiting at the bus stop today and listening to American Slang and it got me thinking about their next album.
I'm hoping Alex R. gets some longer solos after hearing all the great intros and riffs he came up with on American Slang. I hope if TGA does decide to go into a new direction again, that it's a more classic rock feel, sounding like The Who or Led Zeppelin. I think Alex could pull off the longer solos, and Brian could definitely contribute to it - his intro to Film Noir at Pinkpop (2009) was incredible. That intro is actually a great example of what a TGA solo might sound like, and I love it.

It would also be interesting to hear a piano being played on the next album, I think it would compliment their style very well.

Do you guys have anything on your minds that you want on the next album?
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:22 am

I would like it to sound really big like The Who which would mean more solos and stuff, Piano is a bad idea i think, maybe harmonica and or lap steel would be good .
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:46 am

Gaslight should work with Kanye West.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:52 pm

DaveSavedTheDay wrote:
Gaslight should work with Kanye West.

nice.....
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Well, you know, there was the piano in Old Haunts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 6:20 pm

No Piano. Harmonica would be awesome but that might bring up more Springsteen comparison.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 6:48 pm

There was piano on Sink or Swim too.

Don't ask where but it's on there somewhere!
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Daire wrote:
Don't ask where but it's on there somewhere!

I really got a chuckle out of this line. Maybe more than a chuckle. It's pretty much my thoughts about the piano exactly haha.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Brian said in an interview that he was, at that time, trying to combine the minor feel or Neill Young's Heart of Gold with the grand sound of The Who.

I'm hoping for a sound simulating Sam Cooke meeting up with Eric Clapton and Josh Homme to jam with Led Zep.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:17 pm

I'd totally dig some piano on the next album, if only to slow down some of the songs and allow brians singing to really shine through. Like a Navesinks banks or Here's Looking at you kid feel to it.
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:15 am

Jay wrote:
I'd totally dig some piano on the next album, if only to slow down some of the songs and allow brians singing to really shine through. Like a Navesinks banks or Here's Looking at you kid feel to it.

Agreed, and maybe the conclusion to an epic build up (like WDIWWWY).
Back to top Go down
mbtshoes
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 am

there was the piano in Old Haunts
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 6:13 am

personally, i dont know how "classic rock"" i want Gaslight to go. as far as guitar solos...i'm not big on solos in general...sometimes they work...but i'd rather they just fit in with the flow of the song...basically i like things as is! but i am sure i will love whatever Gaslight comes up with next.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm

In one of Brian's recent interviews (in Toronto, I believe) he said the current idea he had for the next record was a sound like Neil Young's Heart of Gold "but really, really big."

He also said that he'd probably change his mind by tomorrow or something to that effect. He also made a comment that if the new album had harmonica then everyone would probably say he's copying Springsteen.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:31 pm

I don't get why they're even thinking about another album yet.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Daire wrote:

The creative process never ends. Springsteen released Greetings from asbury park only only nine months apart from The Wild the Innocent The E Street shuffle back in 1973.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Jay wrote:
Daire wrote:

The creative process never ends. Springsteen released Greetings from asbury park only only nine months apart from The Wild the Innocent The E Street shuffle back in 1973.

yeah but back in the day, bands released Albums a lot more frequently than they do now. I think the Who released like three albums in three years. Compare that to bands in our generation such as Social D and Metallica who release an album like every five years.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 am

i just don't think that TGA is a soloing type of band. they aren't virtuosos or anything close to it; i'm not sure if the solos would be that great. they still have punk roots, and i think punk works best when everyone's just driving forward together with the pedal down.

and the idea that harmonicas aren't allowed because bruce springsteen plays one sometimes is kinda sad. i know now is the time to shed springsteen comparisons, since the publicity has already lined their pockets, but not being able to make the music you want because of what other people might say... that kinda sucks. not saying that harmonica is really a big deal at all, but it probably sucks to have something like that hanging over your shoulder.

the $$ ponied up by anyone who heard of them through springsteen is still green though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:53 am

i am not saying that they shouldn't use harmonicas. I remember the Toronto interview where Brian said he wanted the next album kinda like the Heart of Gold from Neil Young which has harmonica in it but he also stated that if they did that then people would think of more comparisons with Bruce and all.

As for solo's I wouldn't mind if they solo is something that sounds kinda like Lucero's I can get us out of here. The solo in that song just flows well and at the same time, its not like too insane also and still kinda original.
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 am

Personally, this thought has been running through my head as well. I know it was just released, but for those of us who obtained the leaked version, we've been listening to American Slang for a bit longer it seems. Don't misinterpret, I'm in no way sick of it or anything, just more excited to hear what's in store for their next album.....and it'd be cool if they released a new one in late 2011 or early 2012.

As for the sound, sorry guys, not in to classic rock or guitar solos! I really respect and approve of Alex's guitar playing the way it is right now!

Now, as for piano, I would love to see piano used sporadically throughout an album or at least 2-3 tracks.

Harmonica.........I would absolutely LOVE! I heard the interview where Brian genuinely appeared interested in incorporating this in a song, but quickly backed off and replied that people would assume they were copying Bruce. I hate that shit!

But, my biggest change or addition that I would like to see TGA utilize would be better backing vocals! I'm sorry, but the Alex's playing abilities are great, but there vocals are definitely lacking! You don't notice this on the album much, but seeing them live, you can really see that improvement is needed. Personally, I would love backing vocals along the lines of Against Me! (Searching for a former clarity).

Overall, since I love the music so much I'm honestly not looking forward to dramatic changes. I would like to see them continue on the path that they've been on, progressing a little and slightly altering/developing their sound with each album that they release. Damn........I can't wait for another release!
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 1:32 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Jay wrote:
Daire wrote:

yeah but back in the day, bands released Albums a lot more frequently than they do now. I think the Who released like three albums in three years. Compare that to bands in our generation such as Social D and Metallica who release an album like every five years.

Well bands like metallic don't really need to release any more albums; they're set and don't need more money. Social D is probably just because so many of the bands members have died during their time it's hard to get the right group together to record something. I'm just saying it's not unheard of now and would probably benefit Gaslight if they released a new album within a year or maybe even just an EP like Senor. Something Small but it keeps their name in the news.

Anyway, piano. I guess I still consider Gaslight a punk band to an extent, and I've never really noticed to many punk bands using piano on their songs. Here's a cool Loved Ones song that uses piano effectively and really gels with the punkiness of the song.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmYXIlIIzY">Last Call</a>

Not really sure whats wrong with the link.
Back to top Go down
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
clashcityrocker

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 1:45 am

I want two things.

Brian to try his hand at taking on some more socially conscience lyrics
&
Alex to just tear into at least one killer Chuck Berry riff.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 am

clashcityrocker wrote:
No Dislike

I can't imagine anything more soul-crushingly not fun as Brian getting political on us.
Back to top Go down
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:18 pm

i like the ep idea!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
No Dislike

I can't imagine anything more soul-crushingly not fun as Brian getting political on us.

Well with a good-enough writer something socially conscious can be woven into anything. Listen to Springsteen's "Gypsy Biker" for one of the best example. It's a character driven song but has political undertones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to get ahead of ourselves...   Time to get ahead of ourselves... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time to get ahead of ourselves...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next