DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Spirit of Jazz

Go down 
+22
TGAFAN25
StitchesOnTheRadio
Holland
Christophe
The Cool
luckysparks
Ghost
Jerseyrain
Matilda Noir
DeathoftheCool
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Bea
steady now steady now
onlinesongs
loazis
imfinney
sidekicksuicide
Johnny99
Jack
DaveSavedTheDay
ral
talley
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 4:44 pm

To it seems like Spirit of Jazz is a bookend to Bring It On. I don't know why, just seems like a continuation of that story somehow. Happy ending of sorts. Probably not what was intended, but I just think the two compliment each other.
Back to top Go down
The Cool
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
The Cool

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Meet Me By the River's Edge talks about being 28, and Spirit of Jazz is 29 years. Do you think he'll talk about how he's 31 or 32 on the next album?

Good call! (31 on Keepsake)
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Just while this thread has been revived does anyone know the last time they played TSOJ live? It is one of their best live songs and I hope they bring it back soon.
Back to top Go down
The Cool
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
The Cool

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Christophe wrote:
Just while this thread has been revived does anyone know the last time they played TSOJ live? It is one of their best live songs and I hope they bring it back soon.

May 16 2012 - Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 pm

The recent set lists don't have a lot of American Slang, which is disappointing. Especially seeing as they seem to play QOLC and Diamond Church Street a lot and they are probably my least favourite songs on that album. Stay Lucky, Bring it On, Spirit of Jazz, Orphans, Boxer, Old haunts are rarely played. Its a shame as they are great songs but maybe they are a bit sick of playing them.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 2:42 am

Holland wrote:
The recent set lists don't have a lot of American Slang, which is disappointing. Especially seeing as they seem to play QOLC and Diamond Church Street a lot and they are probably my least favourite songs on that album. Stay Lucky, Bring it On, Spirit of Jazz, Orphans, Boxer, Old haunts are rarely played. Its a shame as they are great songs but maybe they are a bit sick of playing them.

I love those two songs but they're quickly becoming my least favorite because it's so predictable that they'll get played at every show. I've accepted the fact that only 3 songs off the album are going to get played this tour but I wish they'd switch up which 3. I hope this is just a temporary thing. The Spirit of Jazz is one of my least favorites on the record but I'd be thrilled if it appeared periodically in the setlist. I'm really missing Boxer and Bring it On though.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:09 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Holland wrote:

I love those two songs but they're quickly becoming my least favorite because it's so predictable that they'll get played at every show. I've accepted the fact that only 3 songs off the album are going to get played this tour but I wish they'd switch up which 3. I hope this is just a temporary thing. The Spirit of Jazz is one of my least favorites on the record but I'd be thrilled if it appeared periodically in the setlist. I'm really missing Boxer and Bring it On though.

Yeah American Slang has some good songs to offer and to be honest Im a bit sick of hearing American Slang and QOLC. Spirit of Jazz is one of my faves on the record. That and Boxer were regulars on the AS tour but now theyve got so many new songs to play, its a matter of what the band thinks the crowd want and maybe they feel American Slang is the least favourite album of the fans...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm shocked they're not playing Bring It On... It had a video for it and everything, plus it's my favorite Gaslight Anthem song
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 2:07 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
Holland wrote:

Yeah American Slang has some good songs to offer and to be honest Im a bit sick of hearing American Slang and QOLC. Spirit of Jazz is one of my faves on the record. That and Boxer were regulars on the AS tour but now theyve got so many new songs to play, its a matter of what the band thinks the crowd want and maybe they feel American Slang is the least favourite album of the fans...

Well, I think it is the least favorite album for most fans, but more than that I'd guess it's the least favorite of the guys in the band. None of them look back on the recording too fondly and they don't generally bring it up as a high water mark for the band. In fact Brian seems to do the opposite in a couple interviews.

That being said, play The Spirit Of Jazz and Bring It On way way more. Old Haunts too. And Orphans.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 2:52 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
Holland wrote:

Well, I think it is the least favorite album for most fans, but more than that I'd guess it's the least favorite of the guys in the band. None of them look back on the recording too fondly and they don't generally bring it up as a high water mark for the band. In fact Brian seems to do the opposite in a couple interviews.

That being said, play The Spirit Of Jazz and Bring It On way way more. Old Haunts too. And Orphans.

I don't know that I'd say it's the least favorite album for most fans. That's not what I've observed anyway but who knows the actual numbers. I was getting the impression that it's the guys' least favorite but I've heard a few interviews lately where they've made it clear that they just didn't like the experience not that they didn't like the album itself. It might just be that last tour they obviously played those songs soo much so they're mixing it up this tour and favoring SOS instead.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 3:15 pm

weren't ppl giving out that there wasn't enough SOS on the last tour? can't please everyone!

how many gigs have you guys who say your sick of hearing DCSC and QOLC been to? i think they're arguably the 2 best songs on the album. much and all as i like it alot of the songs on the album are lyrically sketchy in parts. i think in terms of being the kind of songs they're trying to be those are the 2 that achieve that (if you follow me)
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Labhras wrote:
weren't ppl giving out that there wasn't enough SOS on the last tour? can't please everyone!

how many gigs have you guys who say your sick of hearing DCSC and QOLC been to? i think they're arguably the 2 best songs on the album. much and all as i like it alot of the songs on the album are lyrically sketchy in parts. i think in terms of being the kind of songs they're trying to be those are the 2 that achieve that (if you follow me)

Haha, I think that complaining about not enough SOS is what led to the current set list. Personally I'm cool with it as long as AS isn't practically gone from the setlist on every future tour. Taking it's turn in the background though is okay.

I've been to 3 shows, the letterman thing, the 45 shoot, and Bamboozle so basically 6ish total this year and I'm not sick of them in the sense that I don't wanna hear them. I just want to hear other songs off AS and if we have to limit it to 3, I wish they'd be swapped out periodically that's all. Still love those songs. The title track is one of my top 5 favorite songs by them ever and I'd be willing to see it go in favor of Boxer or Bring it On.

What do you mean by "lyrically sketchy"? I'm just asking because I think AS is the best album in terms of lyrical style. It combines straight forward and abstract pretty well which in my opinion is the thing to shoot for.

Honestly, I'm being picky. They could play their "worst" 25 songs and I'd still walk away with a smile on my face. Also this has turned into the American Slang thread instead of just SOJ, haha.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 am

This is one of my favorite songs. I even made it my ringtone! They don't play much of anything off of AS Sad Maybe on a headlining tour next year (crossing fingers.)
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 am

Labhras wrote:

Haha, I think that complaining about not enough SOS is what led to the current set list. Personally I'm cool with it as long as AS isn't practically gone from the setlist on every future tour. Taking it's turn in the background though is okay.

I've been to 3 shows, the letterman thing, the 45 shoot, and Bamboozle so basically 6ish total this year and I'm not sick of them in the sense that I don't wanna hear them. I just want to hear other songs off AS and if we have to limit it to 3, I wish they'd be swapped out periodically that's all. Still love those songs. The title track is one of my top 5 favorite songs by them ever and I'd be willing to see it go in favor of Boxer or Bring it On.

What do you mean by "lyrically sketchy"? I'm just asking because I think AS is the best album in terms of lyrical style. It combines straight forward and abstract pretty well which in my opinion is the thing to shoot for.

Honestly, I'm being picky. They could play their "worst" 25 songs and I'd still walk away with a smile on my face. Also this has turned into the American Slang thread instead of just SOJ, haha.
ssshhh! i was hoping no-one would notice. Rolling Eyes

i just think some of the lyrics are a bit forced. "when we were young we were diamond sinatras like something i saw in a dream. we kept our secrets and wounds locked up tight like a tomb where the ballerinas lay". - that's a lot of metaphors that, put together, don't really make sense. i'm not saying it doesn't mean anything, but it doesn't articulate whatever it means very well. it's just a bunch of strong words thrown together and after you hear it you just think "what do ballerina's have to do with diamond sinatras? and what is a diamond sinatra anyway?"

now i interpret those lines to mean, when we were young we were confident and charming on the outside but on the inside we hid all our pain. and "the ballerinas" is a metaphor for old loves, and we keep our the depth of feeling for them locked up on the inside too. and that's all well good but why use ballerina as a metaphor? are they often in tombs? and we've heard the tomb metaphor already.

"not another soul can love you like my rotten bones do"- again they're strong words but it feels like they're just throwing strong words together to say what they mean without thinking about how they sound together. "soul" "rotten" "bones" the first and last words especially get used a lot by not just by the band but by everyone so they're already bordering on cliche. it's the kind of thing that someone listening might think "oh that's poetic" but really they're just responding to how strong those words are in themselves.

it's really hard to describe these things without writing big long paragraphs and sounding like a dick and of course one man's coffee is another man's hot chocolate. also i'm not saying i don't like the album or even the songs i mentioned and when the album came out i was pleased to see that the band was taking a step forward. it's just that some of the songs are, well, "lyrically sketchy in parts". Razz

oh i almost forgot IMHO
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 am

Quote :
So what now lover, with that long black hair
If I cut you up, maybe I can repair
And bandage your wounds
With the salt on my tongue
And I'm the only one round here

that's there some fine lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:37 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:
Quote :
And bandage your wounds

how can you bandage something with salt? Neutral
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Labhras wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:
Quote :
And bandage your wounds

maybe 'heal' would have been a better word. but the vibe remains.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:
Labhras wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:
Quote :
And bandage your wounds

why is there salt on his tongue?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Labhras wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:
Labhras wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:

it's an expression of his thirst, or that is how i took it. like in "For You."

BUT! after further research, salt only makes you thirsty after it is absorbed into the bloodstream. but brian fallon probably wan't thinking about that.

i'm fairly certain it's a great line, but do you have any other objections?
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:
Labhras wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:
Labhras wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:

it's an expression of his thirst, or that is how i took it. like in "For You."

BUT! after further research, salt only makes you thirsty after it is absorbed into the bloodstream. but brian fallon probably wan't thinking about that.

i'm fairly certain it's a great line, but do you have any other objections?

hmm i always thought it would be somehow an antithesis:
i don't know if that's a common saying in the US, but in germany we say "you strew salt in someones wounds " if you hurt him even more after he got hurt by something before.

so it expresses the feeling of the lyrical I: he doesn't know if he should bandage her wounds or if he should hurt her. that's what lovesickness is all about Wink
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm

you're probably right! and i'm probably wrong! i thought that salt was actually could be used for disinfecting and stuff, but after looking it up i guess it just hurts real bad.

when you have all those metaphors flying around i guess i was bound to mess up one of them. thanks Hanswurst!

still, great line Laughing Laughing

elephant

Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 pm

The saying rub salt in the wound?
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 pm

yeah, i did not know how to translate it correct Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Spirit of Jazz
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2