DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jazz in Gaslight

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 am

Hey All,

Im enrolled in a American Musical class at my college that is primarily focused around jazz. Now I wouldn't say I'm a huge jazz fan but I do enjoy some John Coltrane every once in a while. ANYWAY as I'm becoming more interested in the genre my gaslight fandom kicks in and I think of "Miles Davis and the Cool" and "The Spirit of Jazz" since they are the obvious ones to think of.

The reason Im posting this is can anyone help me out with the connections between the sound of the songs themselves, the lyrics, lyrical meaning/interpretation, or any other reason that connects either of those songs with jazz. Im sincerely hoping its not just song titles. Also if anyone can think of other references with jazz and Gaslight I'd be more than happy to hear what you think.

This isn't for a grade or a project or anything, just my own curiosity and to hear what you guys and gals think the songs mean.

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 3:33 am

As far as I know, the only song that lyrically is an homage to anyone/band is I'da Called You Woody (Joe Strummer/The Clash). I am really curious about MIles Davis and The Cool, I think that may be your best shot at finding anything else.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 am

Well in Miles Davis you also have the reference to Otis Reading - Mr Pitiful, who is really more of a soul artist. I believe the 59 sound album cover is loosely based on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album. Spirit of Jazz is a Mighty Boosh reference.

I think that the song Miles Davis is Brian's version of what romance may have been like in the 50's. He is kind of saying 'this it what it would be like if we were together' and Miles Davis would be the soundtrack. And then it fits in with the 50's vibe of the album.

Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 am

in terms of music there's no element of jazz in gaslight. there may be more lyrical allusions to it then those stated but i can't think of any.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Holland wrote:
Well in Miles Davis you also have the reference to Otis Reading - Mr Pitiful, who is really more of a soul artist. I believe the 59 sound album cover is loosely based on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album. Spirit of Jazz is a Mighty Boosh reference.

I think that the song Miles Davis is Brian's version of what romance may have been like in the 50's. He is kind of saying 'this it what it would be like if we were together' and Miles Davis would be the soundtrack. And then it fits in with the 50's vibe of the album.

thats a really good analogy Smile really good! Wish it was that way, not just someone poking you on facebook haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 3:23 pm

haha thanks. I agree it would be better that way, although throwing stones at peoples windows to get their attention may be frowned upon these days.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah true, but having the dad chase you away down the street would be classic haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks for entertaining this little idea that kept popping up in my head. Holland hell of a dissection of Miles Davis. Makes more sense now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jazz in Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz in Gaslight   Jazz in Gaslight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jazz in Gaslight
Page 1 of 1