DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Spirit of Jazz

Go down 
+22
TGAFAN25
StitchesOnTheRadio
Holland
Christophe
The Cool
luckysparks
Ghost
Jerseyrain
Matilda Noir
DeathoftheCool
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Bea
steady now steady now
onlinesongs
loazis
imfinney
sidekicksuicide
Johnny99
Jack
DaveSavedTheDay
ral
talley
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:34 am

Thought Id give these lyrics a shot.

The Spirit of Jazz

Cool is dead, baby, go on to sleep
Rest your weary head and lover bury me
And in the morning we’ll start over again,
That’s how they do it up on the screen
See me and my baby, we would dance all night,
But I don’t know the steps in my baby’s time
To do it like they do it for the girls uptown,
I heard they light ‘em up like the blues

So I’m waiting (so I’m waiting)
And she’s waiting (and she’s waiting)
For us to remember
And was I good to you, the wife of my youth,
Not another soul could love you like my rotten bones do
So I will wait on the edges in between these New York streets
Where you and I would meet

29 years we loved that line
And I would take it easy if I had your mind
But I’m a cannonball to a house on fire
And you slow like Motown soul
So what now lover with your long black hair
If I cut you open baby I can repair
Bandage your wounds with the salt on my tongue
And I’m the only one ‘round here

So I’m waiting (so I’m waiting)
And she’s waiting (and she’s waiting)
For us to recover
So was I good to you my wife of my youth,
So I will wait on the edges in between these New York streets
Where you and I would meet
And only I can heal your wounds
Only I can heal your wounds
When you can’t go on,
When you can’t go on,
When you can’t go on,
Baby you know, hold on

And was I good to you my wife of my youth,
Not another soul could love you like my…
And was I good to you my wife of my youth,
So I will wait on the edges in between
And I will wait on the edges in between

Last edited by talley on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

just hearing a couple things different

talley wrote:

Rest your weary head ???
Rest your weary head and lover bury me
Quote :

We do it like we do it for the girls uptown,
To do it like they do it for the girls uptown
Quote :

This line sounds like bones the second/third time but the first sounds more like points to me. Definitely hard to tell.
Back to top Go down
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks, I made the first two changes, but the third one Im not sure of, its tough to tell
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 pm

I definitely thingk it's just "like my rotten bones do" the whole time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Yeah, rotten bones for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 4:43 pm

the intro to this sounds like it is straight out of a springsteen song, just faster.
Back to top Go down
sidekicksuicide
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sidekicksuicide

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 am

very similar lyrics and themes to Stay Lucky.
Back to top Go down
imfinney
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 4:03 pm

hey guys, new here but i've been lurking around for a while. this is one of my favorites off of the new album. i remember watching a video of Brian talking about his favorite albums and The National's Boxer was on there. do you think the 29 years line is a reference to their song "Slow Show" or am i just overthinking?
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 8:21 am

imfinney wrote:
hey guys, new here but i've been lurking around for a while. this is one of my favorites off of the new album. i remember watching a video of Brian talking about his favorite albums and The National's Boxer was on there. do you think the 29 years line is a reference to their song "Slow Show" or am i just overthinking?
Could be, but I think it's just because he's 29 =P
Back to top Go down
onlinesongs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 12:40 pm

i get the impression that the track is kind of a love song-type thing to his wife. since this record's a little more personal for him, and he's writing in a more direct way, it's inevitable a song about his significant other would appear. right?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:25 pm

loazis wrote:
imfinney wrote:

although he is now 30 The Spirit of Jazz Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:30 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
loazis wrote:
imfinney wrote:

Haha, I did a short google session but couldn't come up with anything reliable so I decided to take the gamble The Spirit of Jazz Lol
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:01 pm

loazis wrote:
steady now steady now wrote:
loazis wrote:
imfinney wrote:

Haha, I did a short google session but couldn't come up with anything reliable so I decided to take the gamble The Spirit of Jazz Lol
in an interview from mid-2009 he said he was 29, so that makes him 30 today Wink
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 2:29 pm

onlinesongs wrote:
i get the impression that the track is kind of a love song-type thing to his wife. since this record's a little more personal for him, and he's writing in a more direct way, it's inevitable a song about his significant other would appear. right?

His wife had black hair as well ("So what now lover, with your long black hair?"), so I guess it must be about her. He's sung about raven hair before too.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
onlinesongs wrote:

His wife had black hair as well ("So what now lover, with your long black hair?"), so I guess it must be about her. He's sung about raven hair before too.
there's more women with black hair you know? Razz like in great expectations, "her hair was raven and her heart was..." i mean, we can all assume things but it doesn't mean we're right, at the end of the day we can't know who's he's really refering to, we can just make guesses and assumptions. so yeah he can easily be talking about his wife in this song, or maybe not. maybe this song comes from a past story, kind of like Miles Davis or Old White Lincoln
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Bea wrote:
onlinesongs wrote:

there's more women with black hair you know? Razz like in great expectations, "her hair was raven and her heart was..." i mean, we can all assume things but it doesn't mean we're right, at the end of the day we can't know who's he's really refering to, we can just make guesses and assumptions. so yeah he can easily be talking about his wife in this song, or maybe not. maybe this song comes from a past story, kind of like Miles Davis or Old White Lincoln

So true, I should stop over-analysing. I'm surprised that his wife doesn't mind him singing about how much he loved his exes though, that would really piss me off.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Meet Me By the River's Edge talks about being 28, and Spirit of Jazz is 29 years. Do you think he'll talk about how he's 31 or 32 on the next album?
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Meet Me By the River's Edge talks about being 28, and Spirit of Jazz is 29 years. Do you think he'll talk about how he's 31 or 32 on the next album?
yes Razz
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:37 pm

So true, I should stop over-analysing.
haha i think we all do Wink funny, i was just reading this today:

Quote :
From "Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits":

"The stories behind most songs are less interesting than the songs themselves," he said to me in Santa Rosa. "I mean, that's my opinion. So you tell somebody, 'Hey, this is about Jackie Kennedy.' And they go, 'Oh wow.' Then you say, 'No, I was just kidding, it's about Nancy Reagan.' Well it's a different song now. In fact, all my songs are about Nancy Reagan."

Waits should be right when he sais this. What difference should it make to our love of his music if we know that this song is about Rickie Lee Jones, or that one about Nancy Reagan? It shouldn't and ultimately it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Bea wrote:
So true, I should stop over-analysing.
haha i think we all do Wink funny, i was just reading this today:

Quote :
From "Lowside of the Road: A Life of Tom Waits":

"The stories behind most songs are less interesting than the songs themselves," he said to me in Santa Rosa. "I mean, that's my opinion. So you tell somebody, 'Hey, this is about Jackie Kennedy.' And they go, 'Oh wow.' Then you say, 'No, I was just kidding, it's about Nancy Reagan.' Well it's a different song now. In fact, all my songs are about Nancy Reagan."

Waits should be right when he sais this. What difference should it make to our love of his music if we know that this song is about Rickie Lee Jones, or that one about Nancy Reagan? It shouldn't and ultimately it doesn't.

Well firstly I find it interesting to know what inspires my inspiration, and secondly I think it sets a backdrop to the songs, gives them more depth. The fact that 1930 is about Brian's Grandmother makes it hit me twice as hard, even though I relate to the song in a different way.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Well firstly I find it interesting to know what inspires my inspiration, and secondly I think it sets a backdrop to the songs, gives them more depth. The fact that 1930 is about Brian's Grandmother makes it hit me twice as hard, even though I relate to the song in a different way.
i agree with you. i just randomly ran into this passage today and immediatly thought of this thread. but yeah of course i'd love to know the "real" story behind all my favourite songs, but at the same time i wouldn't... it's hard to explain... like... here goes an exaggerated example: there's this song by this Spanish singer-songrwriter that talks about how she lost her blue unicorn; now this is a song i remember from when i was little, from when i would be sitting in the backseat of the car while my dad drove and my mom sang along to every word; this is one of those childhood-memories sort of songs for me; and then one day, many many years later, my mom goes and tells me "hey you know what? this song is actually about a blue pen cap, not an unicorn", and well.. that kinda ruined the song for me.

i'm not saying Brian is talking about the ant that was walking on his kitchen counter in The Spirit of Jazz or about how he'd wish for his dead fish to come back in Miles Davis. all i'm saying is, i understand what you're saying cause i'm the same way with songs, but at the same time i get the point Tom Waits is making... does any of that make any sense at all? Razz
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Bea wrote:
i agree with you. i just randomly ran into this passage today and immediatly thought of this thread. but yeah of course i'd love to know the "real" story behind all my favourite songs, but at the same time i wouldn't... it's hard to explain... like... here goes an exaggerated example: there's this song by this Spanish singer-songrwriter that talks about how she lost her blue unicorn; now this is a song i remember from when i was little, from when i would be sitting in the backseat of the car while my dad drove and my mom sang along to every word; this is one of those childhood-memories sort of songs for me; and then one day, many many years later, my mom goes and tells me "hey you know what? this song is actually about a blue pen cap, not an unicorn", and well.. that kinda ruined the song for me.

i'm not saying Brian is talking about the ant that was walking on his kitchen counter in The Spirit of Jazz or about how he'd wish for his dead fish to come back in Miles Davis. all i'm saying is, i understand what you're saying cause i'm the same way with songs, but at the same time i get the point Tom Waits is making... does any of that make any sense at all? Razz

I totally get you and agree on all levels. That unicorn experience reminds me of great expectations. God I'm a loser, relating everything to Gaslight songs. So true though, you want to know, but you want it to keep the personal story you find in it. If that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:47 pm

onlinesongs wrote:

I agree, that was my first thought as well, what a sweet song, if so.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Bea wrote:
onlinesongs wrote:

Brian contradicts himself all the time on stories about his songs. I heard him say in an interview that the girl in the old white lincoln is his wife. I think Brian himself doesn't really want u to know all the details. He likes you to make your own mind up, which is maybe why he contradicts himself, he doesn't want to give a definitve answer ya know?
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 7:03 am

Isn't there a video somewhere of them playing at Pinkpop Festival or something, and Brian says 'this song is about a cat', so obviously expecting Great Expectations. And then he plays something completely different that doesn't appear to be about a cat at all! I'll try and dig it out later if no one knows what I'm on about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Spirit of Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Spirit of Jazz   The Spirit of Jazz Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Spirit of Jazz
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next