DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi from another Brit!

Go down 
+6
Daire
Emyr
steady now steady now
tdawg
Jukebox Romeo
KittyKat
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Emyr
A Contender
A Contender
Emyr

Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 pm

We have better taste in music. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://emmaprew.blogspot.com
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Sad, but true.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 pm

i hate to say it, but i kinda gotta agree that British people have better taste in music. alternative stuff is so much more popular over there, which is obviously better than (c)rap and pop
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 pm

haha, alright then. im trying to think of some crap band you gave the world to counter your argument that you have better taste in music, but nothing comes to mind off the top of my head.
spice girls? but we countered with many, many boy bands...
and we threw in nickelback, no wait, thats canada...
hmm. guess you win!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm

well they did give us the Ting Tings...
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Oh, the Brits have their fair share of crap bands too, law of averages dictates it.
But on the other hand, the US can go crazy over good UK stuff. I mean, the Beatles thought we were insane over how much we loved them vs their home country.
Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
KittyKat

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey

I really have a problem with British bands that sing in their accents...Oasis, Elbow.....you can hear the Manchester in there. Give me a Def Leppard none-accent rock band any day!

Do American bands have that? Do TGA sing in a Jersey accent?
He he
Back to top Go down
Emyr
A Contender
A Contender
Emyr

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 3:28 pm

KittyKat wrote:
Do American bands have that? Do TGA sing in a Jersey accent?
He he

Never thought about that before.. I don't know what a New Jersey accent sounds like so I can't comment.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 4:27 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
i hate to say it, but i kinda gotta agree that British people have better taste in music. alternative stuff is so much more popular over there, which is obviously better than (c)rap and pop

maybe alternative stuff is more popular here, but when I think 'rock' and 'blues' and 'folk', I think 'America', and the bands and singers I really like are all either American or British ones inspired by American music; the Beatles and the Stones and the Who may have been British, but their music was rooted in American music
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 4:54 pm

hey folks, you don't need to discuss on what i said

i meant: people in uk tend to have a better taste of music than people over here, which means austria. i know it so i can say that.

i think both uk and us had a lot of bands who influenced their type of music a lot.

but in relation good bands / country's inhabitants, i think sweden would totally win the race, even though most of them bands are metal or hardrock...
Back to top Go down
Deeper Shade of Blue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Deeper Shade of Blue

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Hey KittyKat - hello from another Brit!

Emyr - try and watch the Sopranos and that will give you a New Jersey accent sample!
Back to top Go down
Emyr
A Contender
A Contender
Emyr

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 5:25 pm

english anthem wrote:
Emyr - try and watch the Sopranos and that will give you a New Jersey accent sample!

Haha. okay.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:35 pm

nah, TGA doesn't sing with much of an accent, IMO. Talking, though, it comes out but not real strong. It's more the words they use than the pronunciation. Also, it's not as strong as a New York or Boston accent.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 pm

TGA doesn't use much of an accent. New Jersey accents are usually pretty strong but Brian's actually isn't that noticeable compared to a lot.

And I don't know if the UK has a better taste in music...I think it's just that in America we don't hear as many of their crappy bands so we think they only listen to good ones. Just my opinion...there's crap on the radio everywhere you go.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:09 pm

haha. i know there are plenty of great bands from the US...
maybe we just let too many crap wannabe pop singers on the airwaves, but there's good stuff if you dig just below the surface.

i always thought it was funny you couldnt tell if a singer was british by their singing, the accent usually doesnt come out.

speaking of jersey accents though, i have a friend that grew up there and some words come out with a real strong accent- "cawwfee" instead of coffee, etc., moreso when she's angry or just loud. i never noticed a strong accent when talking to the guys, but then again, it wasnt for a long conversation or anything.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 5:20 am

steph wrote:
i always thought it was funny you couldnt tell if a singer was british by their singing, the accent usually doesnt come out.

That's because sung English often has to end up sounding American. Try singing/saying the line 'we came to dance' with an English accent and it sounds just daft. You've got to go all nasal on the 'daaaance' bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:44 am

When watching Springsteen's Glasto set I found it strange how the accent of bloke with the Headscarf (name escapes me) from the E-Street Band was much more noticeable than that of the Boss when the shared the mic for a bit.

I think accent singing can work: Oasis and the Courteeners are two example- but can also get annoying- I have trouble listening execessivley to a band like the Kooks.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 11:01 am

Tomaldo wrote:
bloke with the Headscarf (name escapes me) from the E-Street Band

oh my, shame on you

(Miami) Steve van Zandt / Little Steven / Stevie

also the guy in the Sopranos, whose name escapes me

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Tomaldo wrote:
bloke with the Headscarf (name escapes me) from the E-Street Band

oh my, shame on you

(Miami) Steve van Zandt / Little Steven / Stieve

also the guy in the Sopranos, whose name escapes me
Silvio!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 2:03 pm

That's because sung English often has to end up sounding American. Try singing/saying the line 'we came to dance' with an English accent and it sounds just daft. You've got to go all nasal on the 'daaaance' bit.
funny you should mention that...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_JSeTDe3aU
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

oh dear

one person's comment was: "The accent really made it seem like a whole new song, it takes the New Jersey folk sorta vibe out of it and adds something new, you've got a cool voice, and your playing was great. I dig."

well, I don't - the song has so many American references, it just doesn't work any other way
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Haha, nice. I think a big part of it is that to many of us, a classic English accent sounds more "cultured" vs an American one. When you add it to a TGA song, you suddenly sound like you're trying to make a blue-collar New Jersey song into something posh... doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
KittyKat

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

That just doesn't sound right! Would probably go down well with a lot of people over here that don't know the TGA version though.
Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
KittyKat

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
When watching Springsteen's Glasto set I found it strange how the accent of bloke with the Headscarf (name escapes me) from the E-Street Band was much more noticeable than that of the Boss when the shared the mic for a bit.

I think accent singing can work: Oasis and the Courteeners are two example- but can also get annoying- I have trouble listening execessivley to a band like the Kooks.

I'm with you 100% on the Kooks...and can we add Lily Allen to the list?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:34 pm

I despise Lily Allen. I can stand the Kooks in small amounts, and actually enjoy them if this is the case. But I'm sure their lead singer is putting on his accent, and he can sound so pathetic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from another Brit!   Hi from another Brit! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from another Brit!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next