DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?

Go down 
+15
Palmer89
lynchyeatspizza
e7c
liveit
Stalls_Standing
CluckyB
Jukebox Romeo
stephendgaf
Snap
ktp
steady now steady now
steph
koolmcr
andy.mac
Refused
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 6:55 am

So, in this new fangled digital age I was just wondering how you people bought your music?
Personally, I always buy mine on CD - or vinyl if it's afforable enough! I don't like the idea of paying for music and not actually getting a physical product. I find the artwork/booklet etc all give you a better sort of feel for the band, and I enjoy the music more that way. Better than looking at the artwork on a tiny square on a PC screen.
I've heard predictions from some that CDs will become obsolete in the near future, but I seriously hope this doesn't happen - at least not in my time! I'm nearing 1000 albums now I think, as well as several boxes rammed full of singles/promos/CDs from magazine.
So - how do you lot prefer your music? Where do you buy it from? What would convince you to actually go out and buy more CDs? Discuss everything here! Post some pictures of your collections too if you fancy showing off - I may do later.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:11 am

I'll buy bits and pieces from iTunes - I got the acoustic Gaslght songs that were released on the Old White Lincoln Single (The '59 Sound) and the Great Expectations EP (Miles Davis & the Cool and Great Expectations) from there.

Other than it's all CDs. Ive got one vinyl record (Bouncing Souls - Manacial Laughter).

I agree with you on the idea of paying for music and actually wanting to receive something physical. But to be honest I'm finding that bands these days are really just putting in lyrics and thank you's in their booklet.

Probably some of the coolest booklets for me have been the Social D ones. It's just lyrics and thank you's etc all the normal stuff but they've always got awesome photos of them in the studio or in a bad ass car or whatever.
Back to top Go down
koolmcr
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
koolmcr

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:11 am

I buy nearly everything on CD. Though, if it's a digital only release, I'll break down and download it (Like Dustin Kensrue had a Christmas album out this past Christmas that was digital only), or if it's demos or something that won't be roaming around my shops or Ebay. I just like having something physical to own. Plus, if the computer crashes and you lose all that music you downloaded, well I feel sorry for you. I can still listen to my CDs and put them in the computer as much as I need.

Speaking of stores, the Mom and Pop CD shops are really becoming a rarity. There's probably only one or two I know of outside of Philadelphia, and they're going down fast because of the big retail crap with Walmart and FYE among others. But the city shops are still going strong, which is a good thing (Repo Records is probably the best one in business. Every time I go it's crowded in both the CD and Vinyl sections.).

Also, there's a huge CD gold mine on Ebay. My Step Dad starting buying and selling a few months ago and it's become like a personal CD store. When he buys bundles of CDs at a time, I usually find some CDs to keep (Like he had Fitzcarraldo by the Frames floating by a few months ago by chance. I was looking for it for a year), or if he has to sell something I listened to and liked, I usually rip it in my computer. That window of opportunity opened me up to alot of bands as well.

As for Vinyl, I never really had any, considering I have a broken beyond repair player in the garage, so there's never really been a point to get any records. There are a few 7"s floating around the house, though. I've always liked cassettes, actually. But they've become obsolete :/
Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 am

There's a romance to having CDs (and the physical copy, artwork, booklet etc) over digital purchses which I like, even more so with vinyl records which I started buying a couple of months ago. I only buy albums I really, really like on vinyl otherwise it's too expensive, and it has cost me a lot upto now, even though I ressurected an old LP player for the total cost of £14.95.

I think I've had iTunes about 6 years, and in that time I have only bought about 10 songs from it, and at least half of those were free using a promotion Coca Cola did a while back.

CD prices have dropped rapidly in the past few years- I can remember saving up £10 worth of dinner money to buy one off the internet, which was considered cheap in about 2004. Now I rarely pay over about £7, usually can pick up new stuff for about £5. Saying this, the drop in price has just encouraged me to buy more, only now I probably get 2 CDs for £10 rather than 1! I don't see realisitcally how prices for new CDs can get any lower though...
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 am

Yeah, cheap CD prices has probably made me buy more! Especially as most of the time I can get a physical copy for the same price or cheaper than it is on itunes.

I miss having a decent paying job, I used to hop on a train every payday to go to an independent record store. It's a little bit more expensive, but was always worth it as you could chat to the people working there, listen to CDs before you bought them etc. I usually end up buying online now with the little income I have, but I still try and use independent online stores where possible!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 2:17 pm

i used to always buy cd's. never got into itunes much, for the same reasnos- i like to have a physical copy. this last year i found my old record player that i got in high school and was inspired to clean it and start buying vinyl again. theres a few decent record stores in my area, so its fun to spend a day going to all the stores and searching thru all the bins for various records. although at least half the ones i want, they never seem to have in stock, and its tempting to buy them on cd when i know they have those in stock! i like that a lot of bands that are still putting out vinyl are including a digital download or cd copy with the vinyl.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 2:31 pm

I have NEVER bought a download.

I only buy CDs now, as I don't have a record player anymore, but I have bought TGA vinyls where no CD has been released (and subsequently downloaded a rip of the vinyl).

I have not yet been tempted to buy vinyl where I already have the CD (but I probably will for TGA stuff).

The artwork/booklet/lyrics are really important to me, as is knowing that I have a physical copy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 4:57 pm

i'm with the cd's as well, nice to have something to look at and also helps me to remember what music i have!! when it's all on my ipod i forget what i have but when i see the side of the cd it reminds me of bands i haven't listened to for a while!

got a few downloads and one vinyl but cds all the way!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
Snap
A Contender
A Contender
Snap

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 5:17 pm

Same, I love buying CDs as well and I've begun to get some vinyl but until the record player's fixed I cant listen to them. I love looking through the booklet and at the artwork, and you'll just never get that from downloads.

I've bought some stuff off iTunes in the past if someone's given me a voucher, but that was only for the odd song as I never know what to buy off there- I'd rather have the physical copy of a whole album. That said, if there's something off iTunes that I can only get on there (like some sessions) and I have an old voucher, then i'll use it.
Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 6:21 pm

well mp3 are good for listening to music while being outside or not being at home and because you do not need a lot of space for a lot of music.

to me it is a rly great feeling, coming home with your new bought cd, then putting it into your music player and listening to it for the very first time. while listening to it you can go through the booklet and sing along with the lyrics.
i nearly can not describe it, but to it is something special. the feeling gets even stronger when i do the same with vinyl.

and it is a great eyecatcher having a whole cd or vinyl collection in your room with all your favourite albums and artists.

i would not give that up for anything in this world. music and books, those are the only two things i spend my money on and i am happy with it.
Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 6:27 pm

It's a shame there aren't many independent record stores now. I get all of my stuff from Internet Megastores like HMV and Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Bit of a boring night tonight, so I think I'll treat you to some pictures of my CD collection. Unfortunately I don't really have anything decent to store all my albums in, so they're all over my room at the moment in various racks.

First up, in my cupboard, is A - I (as well as quite a few books)
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00080-2

Then we've got J-L
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00081-1

Then up to M
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00082-1

M - R
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00083-1

R - Z
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00084-1

Various albums that won't fit in CD racks, like boxsets etc so they've all been put in here!
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00086

A few more CDs that won't fit anywhere else
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00087

And the pile of CDs next to my computer waiting to be put into my alphabatised collection!
CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? DSC00088

I hope you enjoyed it. If anyone gets a chance, I wouldn't mind taking a peek at your collections. I love going through peoples CDs when I'm at their houses, and as I probably won't be invited to any of your houses it's the next best thing!
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 8:42 pm

etid, nice.

i dont buy cds anymore.
so vinyl or some good ol' fashioned illegal mp3s.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 12:45 am

question for Refused: when you get a new cd, do you have to move like 500 albums one slot down? what if it's like a new Against Me! album or something and you have to move everything down one slot? that must suck
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 2:36 am

I tend to do most of my music purchasing when amazon has the MP3 album on sale (so like, $1-3 for older stuff, sometimes $5 for something that just came out), picking up songs I like that I don't want to buy the whole album for (though I've kinda regretted this, probably won't again) and emusic. I do most of my music listening on my mp3 player and so really only need the MP3s, and don't really see the benefit of a pretty CD and booklet.

Buying used CDs seems a little... sketchy? Like, how is that different from illegally downloading music, except that I'm actually paying for it. The artists behind the music sure aren't going to get anything for the music sale and whoever sold it back probably copied the music off first. I havn't actually looked that much into new CDs, but judging from the prices off amazon they are like $10-$15.

So why should I bother paying more for CDs? Given that most people who are actually into music either buy CDs or go as far as viynl, I must be missing something...
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
question for Refused: when you get a new cd, do you have to move like 500 albums one slot down? what if it's like a new Against Me! album or something and you have to move everything down one slot? that must suck

Yeah, that's why I usually let a big pile of CDs build up then do them all at once! Some of them are just stacked on top of a bookshelf though, so that makes it a bit easier - especially as the CDs are right in the middle of the alphabet! I enjoy it to some degree anyway, means I pull out a few CDs I haven't listened to in a while.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 4:55 pm

I've only bought a download once and that was cause someone gave me an iTunes gift card. But I hate paying for music that's not gonna be in my hands like Cd/Vinyl.

A lot of the time I'll illegally download the record, if I like it, I'll go see them, buy a t-shirt or something. And definately buy the vinyl.

Vinyl with download codes are the way forward!
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 5:56 pm

hahahaha, I'll go against everyone and say buying digital is just too easy- one click on iTunes and I got music- I do it way way way too often- it almost feels like you're not even buying it. One click, a password and poof, you got music!! I do really like to have the CD but honestly, I haven't done that in a long time.......oh well.

Refused, here's an idea. Leave room on the front end, and some in the middle- prepare for additions!! I used to do that with my tapes, yes tapse- I had tons and tons and tons of them- I was so mad when everything went to CD!!!
Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm

That's an amazing collection Refused, though I don't evny you putting in new addition alphabetically! I've got nowhere near as many as you and I've got a stack on my PC table where I've run out of shelf room!

As Stalls mentioned, I've noticed quite a few vinyl records coming with download codes as well!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 pm

VINYL VINYL VINYL!

I do think cds are on the way out. The quality can be matched with downloaded mp3s and the art is cool... but vinyl does sound better (I am not just be pretensious, it really does sound better)... the art is bigger and better (sometimes)

HOWEVER, I do hate it when I buy a modern record and it does not come with a digital download coupon. Paying 15 bucks for a record and then another 10 for the mp3s really irks me (TGA, I am looking at you)
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:25 am

Someone got me one of those record players that can convert records to MP3s, I haven't even taken it out of the box yet- do you know if they work well?
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 am

my dad's got one and he's done all his old vinyls. they work really well just make sure the volume levels are all ok 1st cos he got thrugh half of his records to find they were all wrong and had to start again! i didn't think it would work as well as it did. the only trouble with his you have to sit with the record as it copies and put in the breaks between the tracks otherwise it records as one long track so can take a while but makes you listen to all your old records again. win some loose some!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 5:47 am

Yeah I have also heard that the vinyl to MP3 recorders work fine but that is get tedious to sit there watching it do it's thing!
Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:33 pm

@ refused

wow seeing all those records i just fell in love with you :O

Very Happy
that is like my target, having my room full of records... and books of course Smile
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks- That would have been me- mp3s with low volume and one long track.....thanks so much for the advise!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Empty
PostSubject: Re: CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?   CDs/Vinyl or MP3s? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CDs/Vinyl or MP3s?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next