DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions

Go down 
+46
Palmer89
vamike
BKO5950505
jc198
mingus
MKULTRA
bt211
Stejza
NeverTrustAJunkie
BereasaTGA
Rose1991
CapedAvenger
Rock bus
Jack
Keele
ivienco
miked331
Jerseyrain
stephendgaf
howkflakegirl1
Christophe
zombietime
The_River
jonnyz83
pleasepassthesoup
Attax
kjakm
nebraska
Jaws
ProMayhem
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Vibes
moosicmaniac
whiskeytab
Ambulance_Called
cowgirlwiththeblues
pepperedham
HorribleCrowe
StateOfMind
Prisoner
eagles1139
riversedge
Anya_TGA
HolyBreakOfDay
mja271
steady now steady now
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Attax
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 6:19 am

kjakm wrote:
I'm blown away by this record. I think it's the first since '59 Sound which doesn't have a song I would skip, I really really like all of them. I think Mojo Hand is the weakest track but only in comparison to the rest of the record which sets the bar so high.

Anyone know what's happening the The Blues, Mary? It's not one of the three songs on Georgia. I thought it might be one of the two released from that Spotify Playlist thing but unless I missed it we never heard about that again did we?

What are the 3 songs Georgia?

Back to top Go down
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: temp   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 6:20 am

Attax wrote:
kjakm wrote:
I'm blown away by this record. I think it's the first since '59 Sound which doesn't have a song I would skip, I really really like all of them. I think Mojo Hand is the weakest track but only in comparison to the rest of the record which sets the bar so high.

Anyone know what's happening the The Blues, Mary? It's not one of the three songs on Georgia. I thought it might be one of the two released from that Spotify Playlist thing but unless I missed it we never heard about that again did we?

What are the 3 songs Georgia?

Tin Pan, Georgia, and Low Love.
Back to top Go down
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:02 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
moosicmaniac wrote:
First impression is that it's incredible.  I really can't get into Mojo Pin, but hoping that will grow on me.

Also can't get over the changes in Long Drives.  The MATZ version was perfect.  One of my favorite songs Brian has ever done.  There's nothing wrong with this one, but I just feel like it doesn't flow as well.  Maybe Brian will let me steal and record the old one?  Very Happy

That said, it's my ONLY critique.  The rest is amazing.

I prefer both "Red Lights" and "Long Drives" as originally done by MATZ, and also the stripped down versions of "Steve McQueen" and "Honey Magnolia" done at folk festivals, but oh well.  "Low Love" didn't make the album either, the world's an imperfect place, lol.  Still a very good album.

Interesting - I really didn't like Steve McQueen and Honey Magnolia after hearing the stripped down versions. Didn't think there was anyway I'd ever like them but the album versions won me over instantly.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:11 am

First impressions: Wow!

Ok, I’m going to elaborate a bit on that. Maybe I’m a bit emotional after a high-stress week of 13-hour days, but on first listen it had me simultaneously in tears and grinning like a loon. Was kind of glad to be on my own in my car! With the big hooks, harmonies and catchy choruses it already feels like an old friend after a couple of listens, and the simple arrangements really let the beauty of the songs shine through. The big advantage of not having e regular band is there’s no ‘OK, what’s the lead guitar going to do here’; if it doesn’t need a lead guitar then you just don’t put one on it. ATM, it kind of seems like he asked himself ‘what would cowgirlwiththeblues want in a record’ before making it. (I don’t actually think I’m the centre of the universe BTW!)

Lyrically, it’s just stunning, but then that’s no departure from everything else he’s ever done. He’s got that wonderful knack of being able to write things that everyone can understand and relate to whilst also sounding incredibly personal (Rosemary seems particularly close to the bone), and his vocal delivery really contributes to that. There’s a line in Rosemary that really struck me: “Everybody's hurt, and mine ain't the worst, but it's mine and I'm feeling it now”.

Of the re-recorded songs, Red Lights is possibly even more utterly perfect than the original version. I particularly love that section at the end where the lead and backing vocals are switched so you just get the lead part at the edge of your hearing. Undecided on which version of Long Drives I like best, but I’m definitely loving the choruses on this version – very similar, but just bigger and better produced. I’m completely in love with Honey Magnolia, but I expected that because I’ve played the Newport version to death (despite its best R2D2 impersonations).

The new songs that really struck me were Rosemary and Mojo Hand. Mojo Hand kind of reminds me of Mama’s Boys which was my favourite track on Get Hurt; it’s got that bluesy, swaggery kind of sound and a groove that you’d have to try really hard not to enjoy (THAT’s how to play the bass!). Rosemary was definitely the one that grabbed me the most lyrically, but I also love that it’s another Bryan Adams-y sounding tune (that guitar in the bridge is straight off Reckless) and it’s good to get the odd upbeat track in there.

And I will say it again: Butch Walker is completely awesome. The production is flawless throughout, everything has room to breathe and nothing sounds overproduced. Those two are about the best in the business for harmonies, and it definitely shows in the BVs throughout the record – absolutely sublime. Cat Popper’s a really valuable addition as a backing singer, and I’m gutted she’s not going to be on the UK leg of the tour.

My one complaint is that it poses me a problem. We have a pice of artwork which is made up of miniature versions of the sleeves of our 15 favourite records. There are no more spaces, so I think I'm now going to have to decide which one to bump!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:19 am

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
First impressions: Wow!

Ok, I’m going to elaborate a bit on that. [...]

Thank you for that detailed review.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm absolutely loving this album the first few times through. I honestly think it's the best thing he's done since '59 Sound. Most of the songs feel like they could be "the single" for me. Just jam after jam. I'm hoping it will get him some recognition outside of simply people who were already fans of his.

I agree with others that the MATZ version of Long Drives was better, but I think it might just be more that I related more closely to the old lyrics and also that I've heard that version hundreds of times. It's difficult to give a fair evaluation of such a vastly different version of a song that you love.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 2:38 pm

pleasepassthesoup wrote:
I'm absolutely loving this album the first few times through. I honestly think it's the best thing he's done since '59 Sound. Most of the songs feel like they could be "the single" for me. Just jam after jam. I'm hoping it will get him some recognition outside of simply people who were already fans of his.

I agree with others that the MATZ version of Long Drives was better, but I think it might just be more that I related more closely to the old lyrics and also that I've heard that version hundreds of times. It's difficult to give a fair evaluation of such a vastly different version of a song that you love.

Whoa whoa whoa....

I love the enthusiasm. But the best thing Brian has done since '59 Sound is Elsie (IMO, of course music is subjective lol). I'd put this right under Elsie.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 pm

I waited until midnight to listen to the record on spotify and it was totally worth it...I love Mojo Hand and Rosemary...so amazing...and I really enjoy the new version of Red Lights
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 3:12 pm

jonnyz83 wrote:
pleasepassthesoup wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa....

I love the enthusiasm. But the best thing Brian has done since '59 Sound is Elsie (IMO, of course music is subjective lol). I'd put this right under Elsie.

I disagree, personally. But I also tend to prefer this more heartland rock/americana/folk genre of music in general, so I'm sort of predisposed to like this more.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Low Love = Blue Dalhia = Have Mercy.

Dude writes the best songs, leave them all out of the record. It's ok, still like him a whole lot.

But yeah, I can get that Low Love don't sit well with the whole groove of the record.

Rosemary is the most TGA song on the whole record to me. Legit you all like it so much.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 4:12 pm

She Loves You, another B-Side gem. It isn't a Brian Fallon album without something epic being left off lol
Back to top Go down
zombietime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
zombietime

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 4:21 pm

this album is making me feel ALIVE. really really love rosemary and honey magnolia is really pretty.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:44 pm

After listening to the album all the way through once I can say that I loved it straight away. Listening to this album just made me feel good, a little bit like the way I felt when I first heard The '59 Sound.

Rosemary is really great and yeah I guess that could be a Gaslight song. A lot of energy in that song. I really love the album version of Honey Magnolia too. I was wondering how that was going to sound after heating the live versions but it was even better than I expected. Othe highlights for me are a couple of songs already released Nobody Wins and Steve McQueen.

I love the whole album though and Brian never disappoints. Great lyrics as always and his music always seems to come at exactly the right time in my life. Get Hurt came exactly when I needed it and now Painkillers is the same. I cannot wait to listen to the album again tomorrow when I'm driving. One month to go until I see him live too!
Back to top Go down
howkflakegirl1
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Hey, are there versions of Low Love and The Blues, Mary floating about? Also, loving the album, however I vastly prefer the Molly and the Zombies version of Long Drives. It sounds too happy now.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Its okay. Played it a little too safe, as usual. Mojo Hand is the best song.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:02 pm

I've played Painkillers four times through so am basing my opinions on that. This may sound a little daft but it makes me feel kind of liberated. I feel like this is a return to how Brian wrote songs prior to Handwritten. Its very nostalgic and very romantic, two of the reasons why I'm such a big fan of Gaslight and Brian so I feel like my expectations have been exceeded. That is following yesterdays comments on having heard decent versions of 2 thirds of the songs which I suggested had taken my excitement down a notch. Maybe thats why I feel liberated but part of it is also that so many of the songs are relatable to me.

Anyway... Rosemary is the highlight so far for me. The lyrics are beautiful, it is upbeat and anthemic. I guess like my favourite Gaslight songs. Among Other Foolish Things, Nobody Wins, Among Other Foolish Things are also fantastic. I think the recorded versions of Steve McQueen and Honey Magnolia really do the songs justice. Particularly the latter which was the one I was least impressed with from the Newport videos. Mojo Hand is one that I still have mixed feelings about. I like it but I'm not sure if the lyrics just go over and over the same subject matter without really telling enough of a story. The low points on the record are Smoke and Long Drives. This is well voiced by now so I won't dwell too long but Smoke is simply too slow and Long Drives is so changed and the order has been altered too much. I found the first version of Long Drives relatable, loved the lyrics and the story being told and the song was pretty much a complete one. I don't dislike the new one but it just feels a bit disjointed now. If Im honest the first verse tells my exact feelings for a girl I know but the rest of it just doesn't flow as well for me.

My advice to those of you feeling the same about those songs is to see them (particularly Long Drives) as new and different songs that stand apart from their previous versions. We still have those versions to listen to at the end of the day, pretty good ones at that so just treat them as new ones and maybe you will see them differently as I do.

Anyway thats my two cents. Im chuffed to bits with it, if only I could sort my download of the 2 bonus tracks out...

9/10
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Oh and I think Mojo Hand is a really cool track too.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 pm

A few beers in, a few spins in... I really love the record.
It sounds familiar and it sounds like home. I really think Open All Night is one of the best songs Brian has ever written. It's honest but not bitter, nostalgic but not saccharine, intelligently written, well-produced and everything just sounds "nice".
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I think it's interesting to ask, although if not appropriate then say, but how much do you guys think that the album's songwriting (especially the tracks we haven't heard previous to the record) is influenced by Brian's personal life like Get Hurt was.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:12 pm

stephendgaf wrote:

I can see what you mean apart from the 'as usual' part. I think he really experimented with new sounds and styles on Get Hurt and think Elsie also had elements of different and risk to it. Neither were a 'safe' album and Get Hurt wasn't well received. I'd say Fallon's at his best when keeping it safe.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:30 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
stephendgaf wrote:

I can see what you mean apart from the 'as usual' part. I think he really experimented with new sounds and styles on Get Hurt and think Elsie also had elements of different and risk to it. Neither were a 'safe' album and Get Hurt wasn't well received. I'd say Fallon's at his best when keeping it safe.

I mean, sure there has been some experimentation here and there, I've just been waiting for him/them to finally go all the way with it and not be..scared to fully go for it, if that's fair to say?

Get wacky with it, give me an album full of Mojo Hands, Mary Anns, I Witnessed A Crime, Underneath the Grounds. Hah.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 9:03 pm

stephendgaf wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
stephendgaf wrote:

I mean, sure there has been some experimentation here and there, I've just been waiting for him/them to finally go all the way with it and not be..scared to fully go for it, if that's fair to say?

Get wacky with it, give me an album full of Mojo Hands, Mary Anns, I Witnessed A Crime, Underneath the Grounds. Hah.

But who would buy that apart from us? haha
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 pm

riversedge wrote:
stephendgaf wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
stephendgaf wrote:

But who would buy that apart from us? haha

I just care about me, I'm selfish with this music stuff. Ooops haha
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 9:58 pm

Yeah, I got you. Was just considering the financial implications of it. Read an interview with Fallon today for HMV today and he discussed the fact he can't see himself doing anything other than touring for a while. He fully acknowledged that touring and the income it brought is his bread and butter. I think that the financial implications of a record are dampening at times, yet realistic in this kind of music industry world we live in. Smile
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 9:59 pm

P.S. 600th post from me. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next