DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions

Go down 
+46
Palmer89
vamike
BKO5950505
jc198
mingus
MKULTRA
bt211
Stejza
NeverTrustAJunkie
BereasaTGA
Rose1991
CapedAvenger
Rock bus
Jack
Keele
ivienco
miked331
Jerseyrain
stephendgaf
howkflakegirl1
Christophe
zombietime
The_River
jonnyz83
pleasepassthesoup
Attax
kjakm
nebraska
Jaws
ProMayhem
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Vibes
moosicmaniac
whiskeytab
Ambulance_Called
cowgirlwiththeblues
pepperedham
HorribleCrowe
StateOfMind
Prisoner
eagles1139
riversedge
Anya_TGA
HolyBreakOfDay
mja271
steady now steady now
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 7:41 am

The_River wrote:
Because it's not a silly song. It's a great song. And it pass as the silly song because of that. Like at 2:10 when it goes only acoustic, you can clearly hear that it's the drum pattern and the arrangements that make the song sound goofy, but the core of the song is totally not.

true!
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 11:09 am

mja271 wrote:
Well speaking of changes, after watching a live video of The Blues, Mary it seems like Brian tinkered with that as well. The essence is the same, but in addition to adding drums it seems like he cut the third verse "learned how to swagger...", and flipped the last lines of verse 1 and 2.

Can you share a link? Only one I've seen is a 1:24 second clip from Toronto show.
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 11:25 am

After initially really disliking/not getting on board with Steve McQueen, I've actually grown to like it.

Still not my favourite but I activly disliked it at first, now I actually enjoy listening to it.

Honey Magnolia, Rosemary, Mojo Hand, Open All Night, Among Other Foolish Things, Smoke

Love them all, almost named the whole album but had to leave some out I guess. Laughing
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I have a paid Spotify account but--after learning how little artists earn per spin--I buy the albums I love and then listen on Spotify anyway so they get paid (at least something) twice.

Can't get a download autographed either!

Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 2:40 pm

mja271 wrote:
Well speaking of changes, after watching a live video of The Blues, Mary it seems like Brian tinkered with that as well. The essence is the same, but in addition to adding drums it seems like he cut the third verse "learned how to swagger...", and flipped the last lines of verse 1 and 2.

Oh good. I asked him about changes to that song and he told me he cut the 2nd verse. He probably was remembering wrong. I'd much rather it be the learned how to swagger verse if one has to go.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 am

The_River wrote:
Because it's not a silly song. It's a great song.

Yes, silly was entirely the wrong word! It is great, but it's definitely the wildcard track on the album, different in style and much lighter in tone musically. Thematically it's quite dark, but the way the lyrics are written makes it sound less serious - kind of like Mama's Boys, which was really dark but just sounded fun, and also very bluesy.
Back to top Go down
Brother Beck
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Brother Beck

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Album is absolutely incredible.  INCREDIBLE.  It took me a few listens to get used to the new versions of the MATZ songs, but I feel like I have now and appreciate each one for what they have become.  Smoke is probably my favorite of new versions of the three, but it is also the one I have had the most time with so far.  I really didn’t like the new version of Long Drives on the album at first - it seemed slow and flat and a little boring - but I have since come around on it big time and find it to be glorious and mellow with some beautiful musical touches to it.    

This album is absolutely stacked with great songs.  Rosemary is definitely a standout for me, and I have to say I am really surprised at the reaction to Mojo Hand - yeah it is a little bit different but it is an absolute JAM.  I love it.  Easily one of my favorites and definitely the one I find myself singing the most so far.  It sticks out a little bit on the album but I love that Brian branched out and just went for it.  It is really refreshing to hear his voice so raw and un-processed and not drowned in reverb and echo, and I think he sounds fantastic.  I will give people that it is definitely in an odd place on the track list.  If it was placed somewhere else earlier in the album - like possibly between Among Other Foolish Things and Smoke ;-) - I don’t think as many people would have a problem with it.  Listening to the album as a whole it doesn’t really work as the second-to-last song, especially coming between Honey Magnolia and Open All Night, but that really is a minor quibble.  With other artists I find myself wondering why they can’t even put out an album with ten good songs…  if my biggest beef with a Brian Fallon album is what order he puts his absolutely kick-ass and amazing songs in, I think I’m in a good spot as a fan.  

My only other complaint would be that I think it’s too short, especially after hearing tracks like Georgia, Low Love and the new version of Tin Pan Alley.  I say this as a massive fan who can’t get enough of his music and not as an actual criticism - I’m sure he had in mind to put out a good solid album that doesn't drag and doesn’t come off as self-indulgent.  12 songs is a good number, especially when all 12 are awesome - but I really can’t wait to get my hands on those bonus tracks.  Brian has a tricky habit of leaving some of his absolute best songs off of the album.  With the last few Gaslight albums this really bothered me, as there have been a couple songs on each album - in my humble opinion of course - that are clearly vastly inferior to some of those b-sides.  It seems like this time he really did have an overabundance of good songs and had to cherry pick which ones made the cut.
Back to top Go down
CariMae
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 2:35 pm

I saw an article that there would be bonus tracks to download for those who preordered.
I did and I haven't seen where to get them, any ideas?

this album is great, i love it. and I love the spin of painkillers, that love is actually the painkiller, not that someone needs them.

b-sides are going to be GREAT!!
Back to top Go down
zombietime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
zombietime

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Upon first few listens i wasn't that keen on Open All Night but my god, the more i listen to it the more magical it gets... especially the last few lines.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 7:55 am

'Steve McQueen Steve McQueen
When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up to be
Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen
The coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen'

Just heard this song. Interesting parallell with Brian's song
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6