DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FaceCulture Interview with Brian

Go down 
+11
StitchesOnTheRadio
NeverTrustAJunkie
BuddyHolly
Harbortown
Jack
Shrewsbury_Stars
shredderrrrrr
DeathoftheCool
LizCollinsNY
The_River
michaelphillips
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
michaelphillips
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
michaelphillips

FaceCulture Interview with Brian Empty
PostSubject: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Part 1

Part 2

Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 5:14 am

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been discussed yet. Brian speaks about really interesting stuff in here.
Back to top Go down
LizCollinsNY
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing, this was really cool! I liked also I could see his reactions to some of the questions.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Jesus he's so guarded in this interview
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 12:05 am

Sometimes he talks like 60's interview Bob Dylan like in No Direction Home
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 1:04 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:

I feel like Brian is either an absolute delight to interview or an absolute chore and there is little in between. Don't know what it is, but some interviews he just seems to want nothing to do with it (which is completely understandable as much as he has to do stuff like this being asked the same questions).
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 1:08 am

Am I the only one that is confused how Brian can say Get Hurt is NOT a divorce album a la Blood on the Tracks? I mean, I get his whole argument that many of these songs are years in the making and not just a response to the divorce, but how the hell is this not a divorce-based album? Is there even a song on the album that doesn't explicitly speak to that general theme? This, to me, is Gaslight's Elsie.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 5:18 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Am I the only one that is confused how Brian can say Get Hurt is NOT a divorce album a la Blood on the Tracks? I mean, I get his whole argument that many of these songs are years in the making and not just a response to the divorce, but how the hell is this not a divorce-based album? Is there even a song on the album that doesn't explicitly speak to that general theme? This, to me, is Gaslight's Elsie.

Yeah I found it odd as well. It's definitely a presence in every song. I think he's just not interested in talking about the subject matter and getting into specifics which adds some mystery and ambiguity to the songs. It's a tough thing, deciding what to talk about in regards to your songs.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 3:37 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

I feel like Brian is either an absolute delight to interview or an absolute chore and there is little in between. Don't know what it is, but some interviews he just seems to want nothing to do with it (which is completely understandable as much as he has to do stuff like this being asked the same questions).

I agree with everything you said with the exception of it being "completely understandable."
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I felt really bad for the interviewer here. Brian really shat on a lot of his questions for no apparent reason. Like this exchange:

Interviewer - "Do you know why you picked that title?"
Brian - "Why did you wear that shirt this morning?"

Seriously? You expect us to believe that the band put as much effort into the naming of their new album as someone deciding on what to wear? And even if that's the case it's still a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Jack wrote:
I felt really bad for the interviewer here. Brian really shat on a lot of his questions for no apparent reason. Like this exchange:

Interviewer - "Do you know why you picked that title?"
Brian - "Why did you wear that shirt this morning?"

Seriously? You expect us to believe that the band put as much effort into the naming of their new album as someone deciding on what to wear? And even if that's the case it's still a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer.

yeah seriously. these are the types of questions i would have asked if i had the chance to interview brian and it sucks that he's not willing to answer them
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Wow. He's kind of a dick in that interview.
Back to top Go down
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender
BuddyHolly

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 9:10 pm

If you thought Brian was in a bad mood during that interview, you haven't seen this one yet.

Apperantly they flew in early, but still...
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I honestly don't see where he was being a dick. With the shirt comment I thought he was trying to make an analogy. Like it was just an innate choice he couldn't explain.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 10:38 pm

BuddyHolly wrote:
If you thought Brian was in a bad mood during that interview, you haven't seen this one yet.

Yeah, this was one of the other interviews that immediately came to mind.
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 10:39 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I honestly don't see where he was being a dick. With the shirt comment I thought he was trying to make an analogy. Like it was just an innate choice he couldn't explain.

I wouldn't say "dick" as much as "guarded" or "annoyed." He wasn't being mean or anything--he just seemed as though he had no interest in actually having a conversation.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 11:20 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

I wouldn't say "dick" as much as "guarded" or "annoyed." He wasn't being mean or anything--he just seemed as though he had no interest in actually having a conversation.

I would describe his attitude here as "petulant teen."
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 3:56 am

I only listened to the audio. Maybe if I watched it would come off different. But I didn't detect any kind of bad attitude.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 6:19 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
BuddyHolly wrote:

He barely says 5 words in that ^^ interview scratch And it kinda looks like his throat was bothering him (just speculating). Which might explain why he was trying to deflect the questions to Alex a bit and could lead to a less than perfect mood.

I don't know, I think he just gets a bit snarky sometimes but I don't think that makes him a dick. Personally, I like snarky people. I trust them more than people who are overly pleasant Suspect
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 7:42 am

I wouldn't say he was a dick in the interview, he just doesn't seem that into it, perhaps he's tired and could have done without it on this particular day. I think he's quite awkward in this one and i put that down to having a camera stuck in his face. It looks like its quite close and therefore may have been off putting, I also think the way the guy asks the questions and his voice is quite creepy.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender
BuddyHolly

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 11:30 am

Anyone can have a bad day, being tired and stuff... But maybe he should've let someone else handle the interview and not get in front of a camera.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 12:25 pm

BuddyHolly wrote:
Anyone can have a bad day.

Definitely and I think that everyone commenting understands that. If I had a camera crew recording me do my job, it would definitely capture some attitude on certain days.
Back to top Go down
BuddyHolly
A Contender
A Contender
BuddyHolly

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
BuddyHolly wrote:
Anyone can have a bad day.

Definitely and I think that everyone commenting understands that. If I had a camera crew recording me do my job, it would definitely capture some attitude on certain days.

Well this (doing interviews in front of a camera) kinda is part of his job now Wink
Back to top Go down
cms35
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 7:34 pm

FaceCulture interview: I think he probably just doesn't want to talk about it anymore. It seems like that's all that's discussed about that record and frankly it's a disservice to it IMO. Whatever inspired it, I think it's their best record so far. It's my favorite set of lyrics, that's for sure. I didn't think he was so much dick-ish as being cautious (ok….maybe a little defensive… Wink ) because this guy did his homework and Brian probably wanted to prevent an uncomfortable situation. If he opens up that bag of worms by answering certain questions, he could wind up with an interviewer that starts digging where he shouldn't. This is a personal situation. But at the same time you cannot have revisionist history. Every flipping interview when that record came out talked about its inspiration (whether it be all or just in part related to the break up). So how do you mitigate that? Delicately answering questions in a way that avoids the details of a personal event but doesn't completely backpedal one way or another. And minimizing certain pieces that maybe you were more apt to discuss a year ago that you aren't now. Because he's also in a different place, I would imagine. Actually, I would hope he is. I think we all do.

Pinkpop interview: I can't say that I blame his responses (or Alex's). Could he have been a little more into it? Probably. But the interviewer was asking some kind of stupid questions. Should have been more prepared. Asking whether or not you are playing a mix of songs from both records was just lazy…I don't know…I think after a while it's just like, "My job is to be in a band and make music and perform." The rest gets tedious, even though it's part of the deal they signed up for…I do 20 things a day that aren't part of my job that I don't like. And some days, I get snarky about it cuz I just don't feel like it…(not an excuse, but just saying'…)...
Back to top Go down
shredderrrrrr
A Contender
A Contender
shredderrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
BuddyHolly wrote:

He barely says 5 words in that ^^ interview scratch And it kinda looks like his throat was bothering him (just speculating). Which might explain why he was trying to deflect the questions to Alex a bit and could lead to a less than perfect mood.

I don't know, I think he just gets a bit snarky sometimes but I don't think that makes him a dick. Personally, I like snarky people. I trust them more than people who are overly pleasant Suspect

Oh no doubt--I don't think he was being a dick in any of the interviews at question. I just said he looked in a bad mood and/or guarded. And I think it's understandable. I know how pissy I get when traveling even for a week. Imagining doing that for months on end, being tried and grumpy as hell, and having to put on a smile and answer the same generic questions over and over sounds awful. I just don't think Brian does as well as others hiding his annoyance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FaceCulture Interview with Brian   FaceCulture Interview with Brian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FaceCulture Interview with Brian
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next