DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer

Go down 
+2
jzancan
steady now steady now
6 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Empty
PostSubject: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 2:38 pm

So this is what this reviewer of Get Hurt makes of us fans:

"The Gaslight Anthem seem to have two types of fans: regular fans, who carry a respect and an appreciation for the band and their catalogue, and those who doggedly compare singer Brian Fallon’s every lyric and each of guitarist Alex Rosamilia’s melodies on the fretboard to the twangy, vintage Americana-punk nostalgia sound honed on the 2008 release The ’59 Sound.
Despite that 2010’s American Slang and 2012’s ambitious Handwritten, fanboys of The ’59 Sound decried the band’s ever-growing distance from the record, while appreciators of the band found the same passion and excellence in new releases. [...]
It only takes looking at comments on the band’s Facebook page to understand the distinct divide between fans; for every piece of praise directed at the new tunes, there’s a comment longing for Gaslight circa-2008, lamenting their ways.
The band is jumping into a new pond with both feet on Get Hurt, committing to a new sound and a new presentation of The Gaslight Anthem. If fans do the same, they’re sure to enjoy a bombastic and radical record. If you’re praying for another ’59 Sound, stop. Your prayers were answered six years ago."

from http://aestheticmagazinetoronto.com/2014/08/08/album-review-the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt/
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Dude might not be totally correct, but he's on to something else.  The regular fans who carry a respect and appreciation for the bands catalog certainly exist, and yes, the latter group he mentioned - who long for TGA circa 2008 - are around as well, albeit in much fewer numbers, I believe.  

But he left out two types of fans.  One is the fan who has the ability to not like a record for reasons having nothing to do with T59S.  The other is the type of fan who assumes that if you don't like a TGA release, it means you just can't get over the past and only dislike it because it's not T59S, and are thus making an unfair judgment and HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ILL OF THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM.  This fan always considers his or herself to be a regular fan, but everybody else knows that they're...extraordinary (that's the polite way to say that, right?).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 6:39 pm

I think all the songs that sound like Gaslight are the problem, minus Dark Places.

I like when they finally try something new.

Handwritten's first half was absolute radio trash, and there's more of that on Get Hurt, but there is also moments where they take risks.

Those moments are worth it.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 pm

This gave me a headache.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 7:12 pm

I like 59 Sound. It's probably my favourite record. But i haven't for one second wanted another record that sounded similar. Why would anyone? How fuckin boring would that be.
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:57 pm

The_River wrote:
This gave me a headache.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer   what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what we fans are like according to a GH reviewer
Page 1 of 1