DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

 

 magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'

Go down 
+31
enola
Prisoner
ral
mingus
MKULTRA
RobertODonnell
Harbortown
bringiton_ty
NeverTrustAJunkie
JimmyB
ivienco
zerb012345
The_M23
magnificentdreamer
Jaws
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
pepperedham
njguy99
mja271
angryjohnny27
DeathoftheCool
jzancan
riversedge
eagles1139
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Yozzy
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Hanswurst
The_River
The Last Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola


Posts : 1901
Join date : 2010-08-24
Location : London, UK / Vienna, Austria

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 am

http://www.underthegunreview.net/2014/08/12/review-the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt/

If you spend too much time attempting to vivisect the songs that make up The Gaslight Anthem’s fifth album, Get Hurt, you may very well miss it entirely. As listeners, we are used to the blue collar, Americana themes presented by the act, traversing through narratives of Saturday nights, lost loves, heartbreak, and a consistent theme of lessening within our lives. Attempting to deduce each track individually, grouping each experience with past Gaslight albums such as Handwritten, American Slang, and The ’59 Sound, will only drift you farther away from the experience that the band has consciously constructed during their time creating Get Hurt. This isn’t your normal Gaslight Anthem album, and it surely shouldn’t be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws


Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-08-04
Age : 32

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:49 am

enola wrote:
http://www.underthegunreview.net/2014/08/12/review-the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt/

If you spend too much time attempting to vivisect the songs that make up The Gaslight Anthem’s fifth album, Get Hurt, you may very well miss it entirely. As listeners, we are used to the blue collar, Americana themes presented by the act, traversing through narratives of Saturday nights, lost loves, heartbreak, and a consistent theme of lessening within our lives. Attempting to deduce each track individually, grouping each experience with past Gaslight albums such as Handwritten, American Slang, and The ’59 Sound, will only drift you farther away from the experience that the band has consciously constructed during their time creating Get Hurt. This isn’t your normal Gaslight Anthem album, and it surely shouldn’t be.

I sat next to this guy in a class for a semester last year. Nice to see he's a fan.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner


Posts : 577
Join date : 2009-02-06
Age : 35
Location : The Netherlands

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:24 am

http://www.allmusic.com/album/get-hurt-mw0002693389

Allmusic Review by Gregory Heaney

"There's always been something a little nostalgic about the earnest, rust belt rock of the Gaslight Anthem, and it wouldn't be unfair to say that the band has been looking to the past with a laser focus on the rugged songwriting of New Jersey's favorite son, Bruce Springsteen. On Get Hurt, the fifth studio album from the Garden State rockers, the band expand their influences to create what might be their most unique album to date."
Back to top Go down
Leigh
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Leigh


Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-08-06
Age : 29
Location : Princeton

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:40 am

I always imagine, what if the negative reviewers were members of the band? Would their opinion change if they had been a part of it, or would they have shot it down anyway?
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender



Posts : 116
Join date : 2014-01-05

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 am

Pitchfork gave it a 3 lol
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc


Posts : 184
Join date : 2012-05-25

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 pm

mja271 wrote:
Pitchfork gave it a 3 lol

It's unduly harsh, grade-wise, but the review itself is actually hilariously targeted snark. If you can step back and pretend it's not a band you love, there's some killer lines.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender



Posts : 116
Join date : 2014-01-05

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Yea I laughed at the review itself. It was kind of hilarious
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell


Posts : 330
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 33
Location : Georgia, USA

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:00 pm

mja271 wrote:
Pitchfork gave it a 3 lol

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like the album has been completely validated.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan


Posts : 197
Join date : 2010-04-19
Location : Crofton, Maryland

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
mja271 wrote:
Pitchfork gave it a 3 lol

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like the album has been completely validated.

Pitchfork might be a site of pretentious pricks and I might often disagree with their tastes, but I can't ignore the fact that they do well-written reviews that are knowledgeable and compelling.  A bad Pitchfork review never automatically means a good album.  Regardless of how much I disagree with them, they know their stuff.  Some of my favorite albums have been rated a 10 on Pitchfork, as well as some of my most hated albums, and likewise with their low ratings - some of them I love, some of them I hate.  Unfortunately, as much they piss me off sometimes, it's a great music site.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
mja271
A Contender
A Contender



Posts : 116
Join date : 2014-01-05

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm

I don't inherently disagree with a lot of the points in the Get Hurt review to be honest. They go about it in the snarkiest possible way, but there are some valid criticisms.
Back to top Go down
matkins
A Contender
A Contender
matkins


Posts : 188
Join date : 2012-07-29
Location : Georgia

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:35 pm

I do have to give Pitchfork credit for mentioning the Afghan Whigs in comparison to Stray Paper. I thought I ws the only one. However, unlike Pitchfork, I love SP and think it's worthy to compare it to the Whigs.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws


Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-08-04
Age : 32

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Ian Cohen is Pitchfork's worst writer, and that's saying a lot.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan


Posts : 197
Join date : 2010-04-19
Location : Crofton, Maryland

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:07 pm

mja271 wrote:
I don't inherently disagree with a lot of the points in the Get Hurt review to be honest.  They go about it in the snarkiest possible way, but there are some valid criticisms.

Agreed. The thing about Pitchfork is, if they are writing a good review, they only write the things they like, and if they're writing a bad review, they only write the things they dislike (with their level of enthusiasm/snark varying in accordance with the numerical score). They have a thesis and they stick to it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup


Posts : 197
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 38
Location : Washington, DC

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:56 pm

jzancan wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
mja271 wrote:
Pitchfork gave it a 3 lol

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like the album has been completely validated.

Pitchfork might be a site of pretentious pricks and I might often disagree with their tastes, but I can't ignore the fact that they do well-written reviews that are knowledgeable and compelling.  A bad Pitchfork review never automatically means a good album.  Regardless of how much I disagree with them, they know their stuff.  Some of my favorite albums have been rated a 10 on Pitchfork, as well as some of my most hated albums, and likewise with their low ratings - some of them I love, some of them I hate.  Unfortunately, as much they piss me off sometimes, it's a great music site.

I couldn't disagree more. Pitchfork is a godawful music site. Being pretentious pricks isn't just a characteristic of the site, it's what defines them. Their ability to string together some well written sentences doesn't change the fact that the reviews themselves are atrocious. Regardless of whether or not I agree with their reviews (they love Japandroids and Titus Andronicus just as much as I do), nothing they put out has anything to do with music and everything to do with their brand as insufferable hipsters. Their reviews feel entirely disingenuous. They just write whatever makes them seem more "Pitchfork-y".
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139


Posts : 721
Join date : 2011-08-22
Age : 30
Location : Connecticut

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/gaslight-anthem-get-hurt-review/

Semi-positive piece from Grantland's great writer Steven Hyden, especially considering he slammed Handwritten.

Also this makes me laugh:

On previous Gaslight Anthem albums, Fallon affected a storyteller’s stance, spinning yarns about girls named Maria who listen to Elvis on the radio. On Get Hurt, Fallon sticks to first-person narratives drawn from his recent divorce, though his nonfiction is as lacking in specificity as his fiction. “I have pills for this, and tabs for that,” he says on “Stay Vicious.” “I keep my wounds without a bandage, baby,” he says on the title track. “I’m on the 99th floor of apathy,” he says on “Helter Skeleton.” Are these confessionals or lines from a Vin Diesel movie? On Get Hurt, Fallon is livin’ his life a quarter-mile at a time.

Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan


Posts : 197
Join date : 2010-04-19
Location : Crofton, Maryland

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:35 pm

pleasepassthesoup wrote:
jzancan wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
mja271 wrote:
Pitchfork gave it a 3 lol

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like the album has been completely validated.

Pitchfork might be a site of pretentious pricks and I might often disagree with their tastes, but I can't ignore the fact that they do well-written reviews that are knowledgeable and compelling.  A bad Pitchfork review never automatically means a good album.  Regardless of how much I disagree with them, they know their stuff.  Some of my favorite albums have been rated a 10 on Pitchfork, as well as some of my most hated albums, and likewise with their low ratings - some of them I love, some of them I hate.  Unfortunately, as much they piss me off sometimes, it's a great music site.

I couldn't disagree more. Pitchfork is a godawful music site. Being pretentious pricks isn't just a characteristic of the site, it's what defines them. Their ability to string together some well written sentences doesn't change the fact that the reviews themselves are atrocious. Regardless of whether or not I agree with their reviews (they love Japandroids and Titus Andronicus just as much as I do), nothing they put out has anything to do with music and everything to do with their brand as insufferable hipsters. Their reviews feel entirely disingenuous. They just write whatever makes them seem more "Pitchfork-y".

Different strokes.  I've always thought they capture an album well as a whole - the nuances of the work (even if I disagree with what they think of those nuances) - much better than others.  Underneath the pretentious, self-absorbed tone of their writing, there's good insight.  

Taking their aura of self-importance as seriously as they do validates it.  That's why so many people that hate the site still focus so much on what they say.  It's like the token asshole in a group of friends that is so in love with their own opinion, getting a compliment from them means more. (Ever wonder how assholes get girls to date them?  That's how.)  I'm not trying to make any statement about you, specifically, but just in general.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner


Posts : 577
Join date : 2009-02-06
Age : 35
Location : The Netherlands

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:36 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/gaslight-anthem-get-hurt-review/

Semi-positive piece from Grantland's great writer Steven Hyden, especially considering he slammed Handwritten.

Also this makes me laugh:

On previous Gaslight Anthem albums, Fallon affected a storyteller’s stance, spinning yarns about girls named Maria who listen to Elvis on the radio. On Get Hurt, Fallon sticks to first-person narratives drawn from his recent divorce, though his nonfiction is as lacking in specificity as his fiction. “I have pills for this, and tabs for that,” he says on “Stay Vicious.” “I keep my wounds without a bandage, baby,” he says on the title track. “I’m on the 99th floor of apathy,” he says on “Helter Skeleton.” Are these confessionals or lines from a Vin Diesel movie? On Get Hurt, Fallon is livin’ his life a quarter-mile at a time.


"The Gaslight Anthem is a rock band from New Jersey. Get Hurt is their fifth album. The Gaslight Anthem is frequently compared to Bruce Springsteen, for reasons that are superficial (they’re both from Jersey) and substantive (GLA’s singer-songwriter Brian Fallon is clearly aping a Boss-like gruffness in his vocals). Fallon naturally hates being compared to Springsteen, with some justification. In reality, GLA is to Springsteen what Muse is to Radiohead — an exaggerated reflection as seen through a fun house mirror."

That's awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139


Posts : 721
Join date : 2011-08-22
Age : 30
Location : Connecticut

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Prisoner wrote:


"The Gaslight Anthem is a rock band from New Jersey. Get Hurt is their fifth album. The Gaslight Anthem is frequently compared to Bruce Springsteen, for reasons that are superficial (they’re both from Jersey) and substantive (GLA’s singer-songwriter Brian Fallon is clearly aping a Boss-like gruffness in his vocals). Fallon naturally hates being compared to Springsteen, with some justification. In reality, GLA is to Springsteen what Muse is to Radiohead — an exaggerated reflection as seen through a fun house mirror."

That's awesome Very Happy

Any review that combines my two favorite things (Gaslight Anthem and bad Vin Diesel lines) is ok by me.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner


Posts : 577
Join date : 2009-02-06
Age : 35
Location : The Netherlands

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:45 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
Prisoner wrote:


"The Gaslight Anthem is a rock band from New Jersey. Get Hurt is their fifth album. The Gaslight Anthem is frequently compared to Bruce Springsteen, for reasons that are superficial (they’re both from Jersey) and substantive (GLA’s singer-songwriter Brian Fallon is clearly aping a Boss-like gruffness in his vocals). Fallon naturally hates being compared to Springsteen, with some justification. In reality, GLA is to Springsteen what Muse is to Radiohead — an exaggerated reflection as seen through a fun house mirror."

That's awesome Very Happy

Any review that combines my two favorite things (Gaslight Anthem and bad Vin Diesel lines) is ok by me.

Yeah, that sentence in the review made me laugh out loud  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'
Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)
» New York magazine 'reviews' 'American Slang'
» The 59 Sound Reviews
» T in The Park - reviews, etc.
» BF 'Painkillers' - published reviews

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem Sounds & Interviews & Pics :: Interviews & Press-
Jump to: