DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Must own Albums on vinyl

Go down 
+3
Shrewsbury_Stars
jensomniac
Debonair
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

Must own Albums on vinyl Empty
PostSubject: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:52 pm

There are albums that you drop the needle and it's perfection from the moment the vinyl starts playing (looking at you Elsie Wink ) So what other albums do you own that you recommend picking up on vinyl? Would love to expand the record collection and discover some new music.

Also feel free to recommend albums to stay away from on vinyl as some times they don't sound right too.
Back to top Go down
jensomniac
A Contender
A Contender
jensomniac

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Love this!! One hundred percent agree about Elsie, sheer perfection on vinyl (vs. mere perfection in other formats Very Happy). Love Sink or Swim on vinyl as far as TGA goes, picks up all the gritty nuances.

Other artists (unsure of your musical tastes):
Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters was mastered specifically for vinyl; but you need a player that plays 78rpm - soooo worth it.
Back in Black by AC/DC of course
Nebraska by the Boss
And if you have a pop culture streak, the original pressing (versus a 180g repressing) of Prince's Purple Rain.

I could go on and on Smile

Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 pm

A good benchmark for me are those records that I rarely go more than a couple weeks without spinning:

Beach Boys, Smile Sessions

Japandroids, Celebration Rock

Jimmy Cliff (and others), "The Harder They Come" Soundtrack

Catch 22, Keasbey Nights

Sam Cooke, Live at the Harlem Square Club

Ryan Adams, Demolition (criminally underrated by most Ryan Adams fans)

The Pogues, If I Should Fall from Grace With God

Clash, London Calling
Back to top Go down
jensomniac
A Contender
A Contender
jensomniac

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Also bought Matt Mays' record Coyote when he opened up for TGA in AZ last year, highly recommend.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm

No one mentioned "Born To Run" yet? Also,
"Rumors" Fleetwood Mac
Dark Side of the Moon
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 pm

I checked out both Sam Cooke and ACDC. And I'm def going to pick these ones up! I've always heard hits here and there just never actually sat down to their albums. Will def check out the rest of your recommendations when looking for vinyl.

Also @shrewsbury I have Keasbey nights on vinyl, but streetlight manifestos versions (yes, yes, I know the debate of catch vs streetlight keasbey Razz ) I have toh Kay's streetlight lullabies on vinyl and I def recommend it if you're a fan of his.

@jimmy born to run is a great recommendation. I need to just buy it already. It's been on my list forever!

Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 am

Rumors by Fleetwood Mac.
Any release by Modest Mouse (this especially. holy crap. wow. oh geez. this band was the reason vinyl records were created.)
Sonic Nurse by Sonic Youth
Hearing Great Expectations for the first time on vinyl and realize that the first bit is not your record player being a jerk/popcorn maker (def happened to me!).
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
onbackstreetsinbackseats
A Contender
A Contender
onbackstreetsinbackseats

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 9:41 am

Siamese Dream (original Hut press), Pinkerton (MoFi press), London Calling (original UK press), That Much Further West (original press), off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 am

Eddy current suppression ring - s/t lp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Must own Albums on vinyl   Must own Albums on vinyl Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Must own Albums on vinyl
Page 1 of 1