DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about the band

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
landan101
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Question about the band Empty
PostSubject: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am

Hi, im a photography major at Northern Kentucky University, and i was wondering if anybody knew how i could maybe get in touch with someone to figure out if it would be possible if when TGA comes back around to my neck of the woods ( covington, KY or cincinati) for me to meet up with band before hand and during the show and afterwards and do a photo-documentary of the show.

I want to do a project on modern bands that are very much up and coming and just how amazing the atmosphere is at shows with bands like TGA especially gaslight shows themselves.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Landan
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 am

Having done loads of band photography before what you want to do is get in contact with their publicist. Usually a week before the show just dont expect confirmation until the day before or even on the day. I had to ring the Against me publicist on the way to the show to clear everything.

Anyway the problem you may encounter is the fact you have no publication backing from a magazine or webzine so obtaining a pass may be hard as the whole point in the publcist is to gain the band exposure (scuse the pun.) Just be polite explain your a student tell them what you want to do with the photos and offer them low res shots for the website or whatever. Dont put it across that your a massive fan as they will instantly think your just trying to get in to the show for free.

Im going to be doing the same when they play my home town but I have no backing anymore since I started uni which sucks.

The email is on the myspace good luck.
Back to top Go down
landan101
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 am

yeah,that was my problem. Since I have no credintials really the only thing i could offer them would be some developed pictures ( digitally of course), and the proofs. but thanks for the reply, it helps alot to know someone else is in my boat haha

oh and p.s., i was expecting to pay for the show no matter what, gotta support the music ya know Smile
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 am

It sucks since I have no backing any more. If you just wanted to shoot live shots going through the promoter or venue can sometimes work depends on how big the venue is. Promoters are good to get in with generally as they can get you better access.
Back to top Go down
landan101
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 am

the venue it would hopefully be at is called the madhatter, which is a pretty small place that does an equal amount of local and big bands, hopefully when they come around again, they wont be too big and be playing at an arena or something haha
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 am

If its small do they have an open camera policy? As in you can just take a camera in and off you go. There are several round here. Obviously you wouldnt get the candid backstage documentary type stuff but it may be a start.
Back to top Go down
landan101
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:42 am

yeah you can take a camera in, but i wouldnt want to waste a show standing on the sidelines protecting my camera on the off chance that they might see the pictures and then maybe getting a shot you know haha
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 am

Why would you stand at the sidelines my 350D took a punch from a fan when I saw A Wilhelm Scream kinda served me right for being in with the other fans but he came off worse my camera has taken so much shit but its worth it when the shots come out good.

Question about the band IMG_0268small

Got a new one now which is even bulkier so should take a few more knocks.

EDIT: Man the grey background on this site makes that photo look flat jesus. :p
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey, that's a nice pic. AWS is amazing.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks man im currently listening to Career Suicide when I read your post coincidence or what lol!
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Great album, they all are, really. Are they working on a new one or what? If so, I'm stoked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about the band   Question about the band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about the band
Page 1 of 1