DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Halloween...

Go down 
+3
HeroOfVirtue
JimmyB
zerb012345
7 posters
AuthorMessage
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am

I was at the show that the band played Halloween for the first time (Boston MA, 11/26/12) and the song has been one of my favorites since then. I think, and I may be way off, I have a basic understanding of the lyrics:
(For those of you who don't know them they are:
Sympathy,
this is my best disguise
My skin stepped out for my bones to dry up
for the rest of the world outside to see
You see I, bleed on the side
It's a part time thing, a private affair
I try to keep it out of the light

I must confess, I didn't recognize you tonight
dressed up like my love
And I hate these things but I always attend
A little sip of something to take off the edge
And I make my way through the ghosts in the room
trying to crack a smile

And who are you supposed to be?
You look like heaven tonight
Me, I'm a tomb, a corpse in a suit, trying to look a little alive
Are you alright? I worry sometimes
Are you dressed up to take my life?

We keep it coming.
Keep it coming.

Well I think I saw you for the flash of a moment
Your broken heart and the body that holds it
I lost your scent in the flash of the party
The big bright lights, baby, constantly haunt me
I've never been right, have you ever been lied to?
I think I just saw the same scars upon you
Is this a disguise? A masquerade for me?

Keep it coming.
Keep it coming.
Keep it coming.

Who are you supposed to be?
Yeah, you look just like my love tonight.
Are you dressed just like my love tonight?
Yeah, you look just like my love tonight.
Are you dressed just like my love for Halloween?
)

Anyway, i think the songs about someone who has multiple personalities, thus the "how are you dressed?" theme.
In the first verse, he's already admitting he's hurt by something, even though he might not know what it is, and he tries not to show people by possibly having sympathy for them.

In verse two, he sees someone who He thought to be someone else, but then realized that the same person was the one he loves, just in another "costume" at a "party" (could be any public place, really) with a bunch of other people doing the same thing with their false identities.

In verse 3, he's asking who is she today? what personality is she putting on? and he likes it...but he's someone who's just trying to live and to get by as well as he can.  He's worried that she's putting on a show, just to in the end put him down and hurt him, thus ending his life.

"Keep it coming" might suggest that he enjoys the mystery of not knowing who she is, but it also could say "keep this current disguise going"

Then, in the next verse, he sees who she really is, but only for a moment. he sees that she's really a person with a broken heart, just like he is. (the line Your broken heart and the body that holds it is probably one of my favorite Fallon lines ever for some reason.) but, then he loses what he saw because something distracted him. then, by saying he's never been right, he's admitting he does the same thing. asking "have you ever been lied to" he's saying he just did to her. he realizes that they have the same scars; they're the same. but, he can't help but wonder if its only another disguise.

This song really speaks to me. how you present yourself to others, are you leading multiple lives. changing yourself just so someone likes you. It also brings up the question:
Do you REALLY know who you're in love with?

Let me know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 12:18 pm

I think at least a couple lines may be about how much life has changed for him in the past year or so. But yes, I do agree with the multiple lives (lies?) theory.
Back to top Go down
HeroOfVirtue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
HeroOfVirtue

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 am

I too was at the first performance of this song. Couldn't make out many of the lyrics at the time, which is a shame because it immediately became one of my favorites when I downloaded the official version.

My favorite line: "Me, I'm a tomb, a corpse in a suit, trying to look a little alive"

Who hasn't felt like that?
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 11:08 pm

HeroOfVirtue wrote:
I too was at the first performance of this song. Couldn't make out many of the lyrics at the time, which is a shame because it immediately became one of my favorites when I downloaded the official version.

My favorite line: "Me, I'm a tomb, a corpse in a suit, trying to look a little alive"

Who hasn't felt like that?
I certainly have felt that way many times. Trying to figure out who I am. Trying to stay alive with the person I was at the time.

I was amazed when they first played it that night in Boston. I was front row, right in front of Xander. (as you can tell from my avatar) I took a video of it, but never posted it in respect to the band, but found others had. I wonder if they were ok with that.
But I knew when he said "new song" it was going to be good no matter what it was. And it was. I hope this new album keeps going in that direction.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 4:35 pm

Thought it would be appropriate to bring this topic back up today. This song gives me chills just how deep and personal the lyrics are to me and a situation I found myself in last year.

I just really, really hope the guys record a proper full studio version of 'Halloween' for the new album or failing that as a bonus track. It is too good to remain as a pretty much demo recording.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 4:38 pm

You beat me too it! I honestly have to say, even though it is still in a demo state, it's in my top 10 songs of theirs. A very deep song, and great use of Ian.
I think the line
"Well I think I saw you for the flash of a moment
Your broken heart and the body that holds it"
is an incredible line, such great imagery.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

It really is isn't it. It's the following couple of lines that really hits me though -

'I lost your scent in the flash of the party
The big bright lights baby constantly haunt me.'

That was Las Vegas right there in that line for me. If I ever found a songwriter who basically speaks my mind, it is Brian Fallon that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 2:42 am

Been listening to this a lot lately. Does anyone else think the acoustic version is a lot better? After hearing the full band version a few times, I went back to the live one Brian did by himself. I just feel like it works better as a solo song, it sells the lyrics a little better in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 4:18 am

I think both the full band and acoustic are powerful but I definitely think the full band version would sound huge if it got a proper recording.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Christophe wrote:
I think both the full band and acoustic are powerful but I definitely think the full band version would sound huge if it got a proper recording.
You and I are on the same page brotha
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 12:10 pm

I've been digging his acoustic stuff a lot lately. So the acoustic wins ATM.
Back to top Go down
asupersonicboy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 5:03 am

Personally I wouldnt agree with the multi personality interpretation. Its more about how we tend to hide our inner feelings and thoughts from the world.

I think its about going to a 'halloween' party which he doesnt want to be at...some people feel most alone when in a crowd and thats what part of the song is about. You could also interpret the halloween part as a metaphor - costumes, masks trying to disguise who we really are

He then finds or sees a girl I would presume who he feels has similar feelings and its about his melancolly wondering about whether she will be his 'love' ie saviour

My favourite lines are -Me, I'm a tomb, a corpse in a suit, trying to look a little alive.
I know that feeling
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Halloween... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween...   Halloween... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halloween...
Page 1 of 1