DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric

Go down 
+5
Daire
simo
collectivemike
Shrewsbury_Stars
GlennR
9 posters
AuthorMessage
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Empty
PostSubject: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 am

Brian sang Johnny Appleseed, Stay Free and Straight to Hell.

Alex R. was watching from the side of the stage. Todd Youth, the guitar player for the band had a spiffy looking hat on and Brian cracked a joke about how "Alex Rosamila doesn't have a hat like that" to which Alex responded by putting on his hood.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 am

Cool stuff. Thanks for the info. Here's a video of Stay Free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zvLve_H7MI
Back to top Go down
collectivemike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 am

The mix at this seemed a little off to me, but it was a good time overall. The band was great and the guy who came up before Brian really put on a good show for two songs.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 am

Not bad but Brian totally butchered the words on Stay Free. Still looks like a fun time.
Back to top Go down
collectivemike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

simo wrote:
Not bad but Brian totally butchered the words on Stay Free. Still looks like a fun time.

It seemed like everybody messed up the lyrics... everybody who came up had them written out but there were a ton of mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 pm

For someone with a Joe Strummer tattoo and the title of the song on his knuckles it's a bit shameful how much he got wrong.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

I played at the English version of Strummerville that Frank Turner played at, a festival in Somerset. Unfortunately I was the only member of the band who had any knowledge or respect for Strummer, which led to us doing a terrible rendition of Coma Girl.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Daire wrote:
For someone with a Joe Strummer tattoo and the title of the song on his knuckles it's a bit shameful how much he got wrong.

Yeh I remember Brian saying he was like rain man and could remember endless streams of lyrics....ooops!
Back to top Go down
TGA30
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TGA30

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Daire wrote:

brian forgets his own lyrics on occasion, its understandable that he might forget someone else's.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Holland wrote:
Daire wrote:

Yeh I remember Brian saying he was like rain man and could remember endless streams of lyrics....ooops!

Well look at it this way. Brian's one of the only artists who doesn't use a cheat sheet with his own stuff or others and he only messes up sometimes vs someone else might rely on those things because they can't remember much. So in a way what he said is probably true.

Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Holland wrote:
Daire wrote:

Well look at it this way. Brian's one of the only artists who doesn't use a cheat sheet with his own stuff or others and he only messes up sometimes vs someone else might rely on those things because they can't remember much. So in a way what he said is probably true.

The majority of bands I watch don't use cheat sheets. I imagine Brian was only joking when he said he was like rain man, he was probably just referring to the fact that he has a wide knowledge of lyrics. Everybody who performs occasionally switches off and forgets a lyric or note.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 pm

boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP1Hsnyi350
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP1Hsnyi350

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Holland wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Holland wrote:
Daire wrote:

The majority of bands I watch don't use cheat sheets. I imagine Brian was only joking when he said he was like rain man, he was probably just referring to the fact that he has a wide knowledge of lyrics. Everybody who performs occasionally switches off and forgets a lyric or note.

Well Idk who does and who doesn't but he talked once about how you'd be surprised but most do. And i don't mean literally they have a music stand covered in papers, i mean a little monitor near their mic on the stage that scrolls through the lyrics as the song progresses. but you're right i'm sure he's exaggerating on the rain man thing haha. Rain man doesn't make mistakes Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric   Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strummerville Benefit - 1/29/13 Bowery Electric
Page 1 of 1