DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian in a closet

Go down 
+12
Harbortown
brucesboots
StitchesOnTheRadio
moosicmaniac
Hanswurst
theBasemen
kappanera
NeverTrustAJunkie
azlisa
rumham
Labhras
enola
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Brian performs Handwritten in a little closet for the German TV station ZDf neo. And he sounded very exhausted in my opinion ...

Last edited by enola on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:05 pm

YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN BLAH BLAH BLAH.

i like your signature btw
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Yeah, definitely looks beat. Who knows maybe they were travelling late the night before, possibly sick, early morning etc. Plenty of alternative explanations for why he just looks exhausted. I just hope he doesn't start getting burnt out from all of this. Maybe someone could answer this, but when they were on S1D, was Brian making as many public appearances as he is now? It could be I just wasn't following as closely but it seems like now every two days or so we get new acoustic performances. I can imagine after awhile it can get pretty exhausting to have to make these extra appearances in addition to the show.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 am

This is so odd, but great
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 am

I watched it on German TV last night and was surprised how quickly they put it online ...

The TV studio is in Mainz and I suppose they tecorded it when TGA was in Cologne. The second Cologne show was lso not one of the best. But as I said already in another thread, we don't really know what's troubling them. It was shortly before Sandy hit NJ and they don't have many days off on the tour.....

As for promos when they were still at S1D: I have the feeling they did a lot too. But that's just my subjective feeling ...

Labhras wrote:
i like your signature btw
Thanks Smile one of my fav quotes ever![center]
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 am

I thought this was going to be some weirdo R.Kelly type video. Slightly disappointed. Is he being punished? Was he given a time out? I'm confused.
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:54 am

looks like they took it off.
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 am

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I thought this was going to be some weirdo R.Kelly type video. Slightly disappointed. Is he being punished? Was he given a time out? I'm confused.

I don't know what the whole idea is about it. But it is supposed to be funny, I guess. The two guys are kinda funny Wink
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:10 am

yeah, i really like Joko&Klaas Very Happy

when i watched their latenight-show yesterday and Klaas started to talk about Gaslight Anthem and how he can't spell this name right (also this may not be gaslight's fault as he said Smile ) i was so surprised bounce

then he opened this little door... and i thought wtf.. scratch

said somethng about giving brian some fresh air and their it was: Handwritten at the german tv...acoustic...in this littlelittle room. i was shocked and surprised and.. waaahh this was so weird drunken
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 am

reminds me of this:

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 3:58 pm

This is so weird but at the same time that room has really good acoustics haha.

Also if someone put me in a closet like that and shut the door, I'd probably panic. Good for Brian for just rolling with it.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:51 pm

The guys need to stop playing shows almost every night , and on days off stop doing so much promo stuff, sleeping on tour buses every night and constant travelling will burn them out. Mercury need to step in here and take some of the stress off of Brian. Its getting to be a bit of a lucky dip as far as shows go because he looks exhausted. Been looking at some photos i took at Rock City (basement ) in 2008 and they all look so young, they have really aged in a short space of time.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm

brucesboots wrote:
The guys need to stop playing shows almost every night , and on days off stop doing so much promo stuff, sleeping on tour buses every night and constant travelling will burn them out. Mercury need to step in here and take some of the stress off of Brian. Its getting to be a bit of a lucky dip as far as shows go because he looks exhausted. Been looking at some photos i took at Rock City (basement ) in 2008 and they all look so young, they have really aged in a short space of time.
Show us the pictures you took!
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 pm

this was mentioned before, but Brian's voice sounds so hoarse and powerless (whatever the reason might be) that the song does not really create the emotions- it usually does- to me..

Just compare it to this performance, which was about two months ago and is -if you ask me- one of the best versions of Handwriiten he has done so far

http://www.einslive.de/medien/html/1live/2012/08/21/1live-the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten.xml

Back to top Go down

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 10:43 pm

thomas94 wrote:
this was mentioned before, but Brian's voice sounds so hoarse and powerless (whatever the reason might be) that the song does not really create the emotions- it usually does- to me..

Just compare it to this performance, which was about two months ago and is -if you ask me- one of the best versions of Handwriiten he has done so far

http://www.einslive.de/medien/html/1live/2012/08/21/1live-the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten.xml

can someone rip this to mp3?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 pm

which one? haha. i just ripped the one in the closet because I loved it. If someone tells me how to upload it on here I'll gladly do it.

And nothing personal to you thomas but I think you're crazy for thinking he sounds hoarse and powerless in this version, but I agree, that other version you posted is great.
Back to top Go down
rotmitweißenpunkten
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 am

I'm with StitchesOnTheRadio here. i really like this version of handwritten. he does look exhausted, but his voice is awesome in my opinion...
Back to top Go down
rotmitweißenpunkten
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 am

oh and by the way, i don't think he really sat in that closet. for me it looks like prerecoreded in the studio. look at the light and how well the camera caputres him...also if it would have been live and he would had really sat in that closet, he would have said "hi" or something to klaas opening the door..
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 3:31 am

wow, he sounds so great in that video from Germany. Thanks thomas94!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 8:39 am

I'm sorry but there's simply no denying that the performance in OP's video was bad. It's painfully obvious that he's exhausted and shouldn't have been pushing his voice so hard. I don't mean to sound smug about it because if you like to listen to it I'm not one to tell you that you're not allowed to do so, but as a singer you notice he's just straight up tired and doesn't really give it all. I don't know why he keeps pushing himself to sing in the high octaves all the damn time since it's clearly not working for him on acoustic shows.

Feels kinda funny saying this but he should take a look at ol' Bruce and what he did on The ghost of Tom Joad and Devils & dust where he really mellowed his voice down. He doesn't have to treat every show like it's an AC/DC concert.
Back to top Go down
40 Miler
A Contender
A Contender

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:02 pm

This isn't bad at all. He looks knackered but he's not sloppy on the guitar and his voice is still awesome.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Harbortown wrote:
I'm sorry but there's simply no denying that the performance in OP's video was bad. It's painfully obvious that he's exhausted and shouldn't have been pushing his voice so hard. I don't mean to sound smug about it because if you like to listen to it I'm not one to tell you that you're not allowed to do so, but as a singer you notice he's just straight up tired and doesn't really give it all. I don't know why he keeps pushing himself to sing in the high octaves all the damn time since it's clearly not working for him on acoustic shows.

Feels kinda funny saying this but he should take a look at ol' Bruce and what he did on The ghost of Tom Joad and Devils & dust where he really mellowed his voice down. He doesn't have to treat every show like it's an AC/DC concert.

Agreed. I don't know how anyone can objectively say this is a good vocal performance by him, doesn't mean you can't like it but i think anyone should be able to tell that it's clearly not his best. I don't necessarily think Brian even at his best puts on the best acoustic performances, granted there are some phenomenal ones on youtube by him though, but it seems like alot of these performances lately are just god awful.

I know Bruce references are pretty tiring at this point, but even Bruce changed it up much earlier in his career when he put out Nebraska. Obviously he wasn't necessarily trying to save his voice, but i think Brian doing something different just to "save" his voice wouldn't be a bad idea. I may be in the minority here thinking that Handwritten sort of shows creatively Brian needs to do something different since he essentially made a Gaslight version of Elsie so maybe doing an acoustic album/tour wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing in the world.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm going to start comparing Brian to someone else. Axl Rose. I'll compare him to Axl Rose.

At least Brian hasn't started wearing cornrows.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 9:14 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I'm going to start comparing Brian to someone else. Axl Rose. I'll compare him to Axl Rose.

At least Brian hasn't started wearing cornrows.
think again

link
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brian in a closet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian in a closet   Brian in a closet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian in a closet
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next