DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him

Go down 
+4
steady now steady now
OllieC
enola
LuceroDiehard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Empty
PostSubject: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 am

from http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2012/09/12/entertainment/doc504fb7c64f728989188189.txt

Brian Fallon has released four albums during the past five years with his band the Gaslight Anthem — including this year’s “Handwritten” — plus one with his side project, the Horrible Crowes.

But if that makes him seem prolific, Fallon says songwriting is not exactly easy for him.

“I don’t get hit with these lightning bolts of inspiration where you have to run and find paper. With me it’s more difficult,” says Fallon, 32, who launched the Gaslight Anthem during 2006 in New Jersey and has won the favor of, among others, Bruce Springsteen, who’s guested with the group and also featured Fallon on his 2010 DVD “London Calling Live in Hyde Park.”
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for sharing, Bobby!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

enola wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Bobby!

You're welcome

Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

That was great. I love hearing peoples methods of writing. Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for posting. It always interests me how different artists write their lyrics; as someone who is trying to hone their own skills, it makes intersting reading to see how the best write theirs.

I find it interesting also how his system is a long arduous one, which may or may not turn into songs, but all his lyrics are so consistent.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:31 am

Brian in 2012: “I don’t get hit with these lightning bolts of inspiration where you have to run and find paper. With me it’s more difficult.”

Brian in 2009: "Songwriting is one of those old school preacher things, I think. I feel like singers and preachers get smacked by some kinda crazy lightning right before they deliver; because I'm completely oblivious if you asked me how to write a song, it just happens, I can't take the credit for it, and then bang: hallelujah." (VoxAmps.com)

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:56 am

steady now steady now wrote:
Brian in 2012: “I don’t get hit with these lightning bolts of inspiration where you have to run and find paper. With me it’s more difficult.”

Brian in 2009: "Songwriting is one of those old school preacher things, I think. I feel like singers and preachers get smacked by some kinda crazy lightning right before they deliver; because I'm completely oblivious if you asked me how to write a song, it just happens, I can't take the credit for it, and then bang: hallelujah." (VoxAmps.com)

scratch

Yeah, that's kinda weird Rolling Eyes . Maybe it has changed within the last years..I mean, maybe in the first years of the bands' existence it felt really easy for him because there were soo many topics, which he -never wrote- but always wanted to write songs about and he was full of ideas/inspiration and everything. Now after he has always written a few dozens of songs (+ The Horrible Crowes' ) there might be the inspiration missing. Could be also connected to the growing expectations and the pressure of the listeners that in secret Brian is more worried if the songs are good enough (eventhough he said “For the first time, I’m not scared that people aren’t going to like this record… If you want to hang with us, you’ve got to grow with us. That’s the deal.” that a few months ago and even something similar to that in the interview). These are just assumptions now, but the partially new writing style could also play a role.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:55 am

OMG Brian contradicted himself, alert the media, Razz (this is meant jokingly not as a bitchy sarcastic comment)

Thomas you're probably right. I bet he's focusing more now on writing things that work well as a whole and getting to the point, etc. Basically like any writer who learns over time how to 'cut out the fat' so to speak. It's more work but it results in a more refined product. Which, you know, could be a good or bad thing. And yeah I mean I'm sure he's looking to write about different things. Considering he's writing again already I'd say it's not for lack of ideas but maybe "how do I take this idea to the next level". Natural talent/luck takes you only so far then comes hard work.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 2:20 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
And yeah I mean I'm sure he's looking to write about different things. Considering he's writing again already I'd say it's not for lack of ideas but maybe "how do I take this idea to the next level". Natural talent/luck takes you only so far then comes hard work.

Yeah, that's what I tried to express, you're phrasing is what I was looking for, great Wink ..sometimes my english is not enough to couch things..
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm not surprised he's changed his answer to how he writes songs. 2009 was the answer of an eager-eyed young man thrilled to be in a band that was taking off. 2012 is the answer of a more jaded, cynical man who seems paranoid that fans will put him up on a pedestal.

In 2009 Brian was all, "woohoo! The magic of rock 'n' roll! The '59 Sound is a mythical rock 'n' roll place where Sam Cooke and Maria dance to Blue Note records!"

In 2012 Brian's now like, "Fuck you if you think I"m different than you. I'm not different. I am you. This is hard work and it's my job but I do it anyway."
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
I'm not surprised he's changed his answer to how he writes songs. 2009 was the answer of an eager-eyed young man thrilled to be in a band that was taking off. 2012 is the answer of a more jaded, cynical man who seems paranoid that fans will put him up on a pedestal.

In 2009 Brian was all, "woohoo! The magic of rock 'n' roll! The '59 Sound is a mythical rock 'n' roll place where Sam Cooke and Maria dance to Blue Note records!"

In 2012 Brian's now like, "Fuck you if you think I"m different than you. I'm not different. I am you. This is hard work and it's my job but I do it anyway."

Clap well said my man, well said !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him   Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian Fallon: Songwriting Not Exactly Easy for Him
Page 1 of 1