DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mae

Go down 
+20
Italian__Fallon
DeathoftheCool
dl22
bringiton_ty
JimmyB
Jonnyn8
TheContender
StitchesOnTheRadio
IrishNameAndAnInjury
SubconsciousRitual
massie1903
Jerseyrain
MKULTRA
Jack
CluckyB
NYYFAN523
Bea
Kosburn59
A_Regular
snakester
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 pm

This song is easily one of my favorites off of Handwritten, and probably one of my favorites ever lyrically. The visuals this song creates are just stunning, and i cant listen to it without getting chills. For the life of me, though, I can't figure out the significance of one of the lines in it. I'm talking about the
"I was born beside a river, that flows to a raging sea, that will one day serve to quell, or one day be the death of me"
Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:50 pm

There is an ocean in his soul where the waves do not curl
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 6:52 pm

I think he's saying that there's something within his nature that's going to destroy something or someone important in his life.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 7:01 pm

and... he WAS born beside a river that flows to a raging sea - the Navesink river that goes right through Red Bank, NJ (therefore the song "The Navesink Banks").
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Bea wrote:
and... he WAS born beside a river that flows to a raging sea - the Navesink river that goes right through Red Bank, NJ (therefore the song "The Navesink Banks").

Exactly. And leads to a bay that goes into the Atlantic.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 pm

NYYFAN523 wrote:
Bea wrote:

Exactly. And leads to a bay that goes into the Atlantic.

Ohh so it's literal? I don't know the area so I had no idea.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 am

Who is Mae? I sorta get the feeling she is more of another Mary (from 1930) than a past lover (though the salty carnival kiss is odd). I almost feel like this song could be about his mother... it would explain why its a favorite of Brian's and why she is clearly someone he loves without being a past lover. Given its supposed to be a super personal album and he wrote a song about his Dad, it wouldn't surprise me that he wrote a song about his mom though.

Certainly one of the best songs on the album =) (Though as far as songs about mothers go, Lucero's Mom still has it beat. That song is fucking perfect)
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 am

If Mae is about Mama Fallon then Brian's one creepy dude.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:56 am

CluckyB wrote:
Who is Mae? I sorta get the feeling she is more of another Mary (from 1930) than a past lover (though the salty carnival kiss is odd). I almost feel like this song could be about his mother... it would explain why its a favorite of Brian's and why she is clearly someone he loves without being a past lover. Given its supposed to be a super personal album and he wrote a song about his Dad, it wouldn't surprise me that he wrote a song about his mom though.

Certainly one of the best songs on the album =) (Though as far as songs about mothers go, Lucero's Mom still has it beat. That song is fucking perfect)

yeah not sure where the mom angle is coming from. care to elaborate on your theory a bit more?

i just think it's about a past lover. he's thinking about her and how she used to be back then (it's been so long mae so long, i miss your ways) and is compelled to reconnect. obviously there's more to it than that but i don't really see the mom angle.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 am

CluckyB wrote:

The best mother song ive heard is 'Hard to find the words' by Cinderella. Now thats a power ballad!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 am

Im 99% sure this songs not about his mum.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:47 am

CluckyB wrote:

I did read this in a review..

‘Mae’ reveals Fallon’s romanticism with a soft, heartfelt chorus ‘You can lean into me if you ain’t been in love for a while’ while the song title could be a reference to classic film star Mae West, adding to the long list of Gaslight Anthem references to classic cinema.

could be?

Last edited by Jordd01 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:57 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

The best mother song ive heard is 'Hard to find the words' by Cinderella. Now thats a power ballad!

Sorry, but the one thing Clucky's right about is Lucero's Mom being the best song about mothers ever. Seriously, that song will make you shed manly tears and call up your mama. It's that good.
Back to top Go down
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:44 am

Whenever I hear this songs, I always think it's a sort of love letter to Sink or Swim, what with the refrences to The Navesink Banks, Drive and "The radio on..."
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm

After a week on repeat, this is still my favorite song on the album. I love it so much. I can't let myself listen to it while I'm working anymore because I stop everything just to listen to it, and then I get nothing done.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Kosburn59 wrote:
I think he's saying that there's something within his nature that's going to destroy something or someone important in his life.

I know I'm a little late to this conversation, but in regards to this part of Mae,

I was born beside a river
That flows to a raging sea
That will one day serve to quell
Or one day be the death of me

I agree with Keegan that it seems to be a metaphor for Brian thinking something in his nature is destructive, but on the "serve to quell" end of it, there's another side of him that can be calm. Maybe he has two extremes to his personality. I could just be psychologically projecting my own feelings into this song, but that's what I got from it. Sure, there's the literal meaning of the Navesink River flowing out into the Atlantic, but knowing Brian's writing style like we all do, there could be something more to it than just an actual river.

It's pretty cool how people can see different things in these songs, and they all make sense. Art is subjective and even though it's interesting to find out what Brian was thinking when he wrote the lyrics, whatever they mean to us is what really matters. Smile
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:

It's pretty cool how people can see different things in these songs, and they all make sense. Art is subjective and even though it's interesting to find out what Brian was thinking when he wrote the lyrics, whatever they mean to us is what really matters. Smile

I completely agree, it's one of my favorite things about gaslight songs that they're so open for interpretation. They can fit almost any situation you're in. This was the first time I was ever really like, "hmm I wonder what that means. I'm drawing a total blank here."
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 pm

I obviously don't know what Brian intended but I like Shannon's interpretation. Maybe like, everything that makes him who he is (like where he's from and more maybe his own internal struggles/mentality) will either one day resolve itself or destroy him. Almost like he's wondering that.
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:13 am

SubconsciousRitual wrote:
After a week on repeat, this is still my favorite song on the album. I love it so much. I can't let myself listen to it while I'm working anymore because I stop everything just to listen to it, and then I get nothing done.

I'm with you. That guitar gets stuck in my head....love it.

I like the interpretation of self-destruction....the inner struggle to not ruin something good, but the battle inside causes issues in the relationship.
Back to top Go down
Jonnyn8
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 am

Was listening to some Tim Barry earlier and wait at Milano came on. The last line of the song is "You goin' west come May Just stay the same, no never change". I know Tim is refering to the month of May and Brian obviously the name Mae but just something to think about there...
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmhIvtxEzQ

I found this For Mae. Acoustic. But to stay on topic, I do agree with the insight about "I was born beside a river that flows to a raging sea. That will someday serve to quell or someday be the death of me", being about his personal nature. I think we all have that part of us, a part that will threaten to destroy everything we hold close, or want to. Whether it is a relationship, a family, or even friendship. But there is also the other side of us that tries to keep us calm, safe, and peaceful.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Jonnyn8 wrote:
Was listening to some Tim Barry earlier and wait at Milano came on. The last line of the song is "You goin' west come May Just stay the same, no never change". I know Tim is refering to the month of May and Brian obviously the name Mae but just something to think about there...

Nice catch! Knowing how Brian is with references and that he listens to Tom Barry I'd say that's a pretty clear steal/reference. You should add it to the thread that's the complete list of references.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm

well noticed! i used very similar almost exact lyrics with my band before the handwritten came out but i dont think brian robbed me unless hes a closet fan haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 pm

"Stay the same, don't ever change" is not exactly revolutionary as far as lyrical content goes. Nothing wrong with it, it's solid and not too played-out, but I'm not surprised it's been used before.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

Mae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mae   Mae Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 pm

nothings original in music nowadays
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Sponsored content