DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"

Go down 
+22
kissthebottle
LuceroDiehard
sportshack
pleasepassthesoup
plugga
Jack
steady now steady now
Jerseyrain
simo
AGoodTime
Labhras
Jay
jzancan
ghosttocoast
osumarko
eagles1139
CluckyB
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
MikeSig
Shrewsbury_Stars
redheadchick
NDTGA
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

"Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:52 am

For what is clearly intended as a serious review of Brian's work, not to discuss Elsie is a major error. If he had taken Elsie into account, would the writer's arguments still hold?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 am

Here's my issue with this review: the writer clearly listened to the record and formed his own opinion on it. That's fine. He can write a scathing review if he wants. However, this part was barely elegant enough to be included in a facebook chat:

"Sorry, dude, but you grew up during one of the worst eras for rock radio ever. There's no way you romanced Mary or Betty back in the late '90s to the dulcet sounds of Mudvayne. It's more likely you fell in love with Mackenzie or Taylor while downloading a torrent of Rancid albums."

I thought he was a professional writer, not Brian's abrasive drinking buddy. Take some fucking pride in what you do and be a writer and critic, not a belligerent asshole.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 am

this guy needs to be taught how to write reviews, you may have not liked the album and you have all the right to say it but you still have to mantain some kind of professionalism when you write. He just comes off as an angry kid who is probably bothered by the fact that everyone likes the band.

oooh well.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
Here's my issue with this review: the writer clearly listened to the record and formed his own opinion on it. That's fine. He can write a scathing review if he wants. However, this part was barely elegant enough to be included in a facebook chat:

"Sorry, dude, but you grew up during one of the worst eras for rock radio ever. There's no way you romanced Mary or Betty back in the late '90s to the dulcet sounds of Mudvayne. It's more likely you fell in love with Mackenzie or Taylor while downloading a torrent of Rancid albums."

I thought he was a professional writer, not Brian's abrasive drinking buddy. Take some fucking pride in what you do and be a writer and critic, not a belligerent asshole.

Thats the quote that made me piss myself.

You're right its bad writing for a serious review, he's trying to be cool but the sarcasm of it really tickled me.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 am

JackStreetcar wrote:

On top of that portion being poorly written, the concept behind it is inaccurate and insulting. I mean, I'm 6 years younger than Brian, and I certainly have many fond memories about driving around with the radio on and absolutely none of them had anything to do with Mudvayne. It just struck me as ridiculous that, because a lot of the new music on rock radio at the time wasn't particularly good, that Brian has to be a phony if he's romanticizing his time driving around with the radio on. There are all sorts of stations to listen to, not just "Nu Metal FM".
Back to top Go down
sportshack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:22 am

I thought it was a very well written piece which makes some valid points. Plenty I don't agree with too.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 am

Interesting read
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Id thought that there must be lots of different radio stations that play different things. To be honest though if Im in my car whether ive listened to a cassette a cd or my ipod it all comes through the same system so I might just refer to that as the radio too. Whos to say brian wasn't driving around romancing Betty and Mary whilst listening to a super cool romantic mix tape with Petty Dylan Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye crooning away. Thatd be pretty awesome.

I can see why a few people agree with the fella though because I get the feeling a lot of the big fans on here seem to be feeling let down by the album and probably because it isnt Springsteeny enough for them
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
kissthebottle
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 pm

1. Rancid's ...And Out Comes the Wolves is an amazing album which pretty much changed my life and got me into punk rock back in 1995.
2. Torrents exist back then
3. I agree with above, tape, cd, am/fm all = the radio
4. I remember being a kid and listening to classic rock stations with my parents and hearing all of the above mentioned bands.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 12:56 pm

it just seemed that the guy was trying to make a point by using an old and frankly superficial stereotype.
and yes rancid are indeed a great band.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 pm

In the Making of Handwritten video Brian says (along with probably MANY 90's teens) he grew up listening to PJ, Soundgarden, etc... Early 2000 teens would be the ones listening to Mudvayne on the radio.

I just don't get it. I never really did accept the musically-Springsteen comparisons (lyrically on T59S I'll agree with), but regardless Handwritten sounds further from anything in their past. I can't compare Handwritten with any music I've heard; it's very unique. Kind of sucks that this is so high up on Grantland, usually a a really great sports website.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:

I can see why a few people agree with the fella though because I get the feeling a lot of the big fans on here seem to be feeling let down by the album and probably because it isnt Springsteeny enough for them

feeling a bit let down by the album so far but certainly not because "it isn't springsteeny enough." mainly, i wish there were more fast songs and the repeated references to blood and the radio appear on the record a bit too often for me.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm

acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

feeling a bit let down by the album so far but certainly not because "it isn't springsteeny enough." mainly, i wish there were more fast songs and the repeated references to blood and the radio appear on the record a bit too often for me.

Are you saying that there's...

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!
cheers lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Labhras wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!
cheers lol!

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Jay wrote:
Maybe I'm being especially critical because I'm a writer myself and he's always been an influence of mine. When it comes to rich imagery that not only peaks interest to the listener because of the content, but because of how it perfectly fits together phonetically, Brian has always been the man.

free advice that will probably come in handy since you're a writer: you pique someone's interest. word nerd. sorry. study

JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!

hahahaha very good. you had me in stitches...

...on the radio.
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!

very nice.

High Five
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 pm

apparently the reviewer has never heard of 'Classic Rock' radio stations....the ones that play Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, and the 'Life Is A Highway' guy...y'know, the ones that he accuses Brian Fallon of stealing too much from?

Also, how is 'specificity' the best thing about Bruce Springsteen's songs? The best thing about most of them is that even though they might or might not be about Jersey, they could be about anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 pm

acousticbandit wrote:
Jay wrote:
Maybe I'm being especially critical because I'm a writer myself and he's always been an influence of mine. When it comes to rich imagery that not only peaks interest to the listener because of the content, but because of how it perfectly fits together phonetically, Brian has always been the man.

free advice that will probably come in handy since you're a writer: you pique someone's interest. word nerd. sorry. study

JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!

...on the radio.
i wanted to keep this going but i couldn't think of a good one. Sad it's a shame, i had such great expectations.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Labhras wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jay wrote:

JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!

...on the radio.
i wanted to keep this going but i couldn't think of a good one. Sad it's a shame, i had such great expectations.

How about this for a good one?
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Labhras wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jay wrote:

JackStreetcar wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

Too Much Blood?

HEY-O!!!!

...on the radio.

How about this for a good one?

nobody told me that you guys were gonna make a game out of this. and to think.....i coulda been a contender. Sad
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 am

If you're making a game of this, then bring it on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"   "Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Very Hungry Hearts - TGA's Springsteen Problems"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2