DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beginning guitarist question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ForgedInLife
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Beginning guitarist question Empty
PostSubject: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:47 am

Hello all and fellow guitarists.

I am a new guitarist, been playing for about 2 months with just fretting intros to songs and such and feel I am ready to get into chords. I just started learning “Free Fallin’” by Tom Petty and The Navesink Banks by our beloved TGA and those are what sparked me into wanting to start learning chords. I have a question on how to read them…yes they are probably real easy and “noob” questions but I need to know them..So I apologize ahead of time!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chords used:
G (320033)
Cadd9 (x32033)
D (x00232)
Em7 (022033)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First question: Above, it tells you how to play the chords for the song obviously and “x” is do not play correct? I figured as much but wanted to make sure.

Verse one:
Em7 D
And how much time do you think that we have?
Cadd9 G
If I wanted to I could start over again
Em7 D
Let the good night decide who she wants me to find
Cadd9 G
And I'll never let you drop another tear in my eye

Chorus:
G Cadd9 G Em7
Singing oh sha la la, oh sha la la, listen honey, here comes my man
G Cadd9 G Em7 D D D D
Singing oh sha la la, oh sha la la, listen honey, here comes my man

Next question: Above it shows you when to play the chords but does that mean just once? Or do you just have to listen n figure it out?

Like I said, I know these are lame questions but I’d figure I’d come to you since I see a lot of experienced players in here by looking at other posts.

Thanks for taking the time and read and hopefully answer!

Take care!

Rock on TGA \m/
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 am

-Yeah, the x's mean don't play that string
-I would just listen and figure out when to play what and how to play it
Back to top Go down
ForgedInLife
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 am

Thank you Nicholas! I appreciate it man!
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 11:05 am

No problemo...good luck! You'll learn a lot from playing Gaslight songs
Back to top Go down
Afzoomie67
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Afzoomie67

PostSubject: Re: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I always thought the 'x' meant to palm-mute, not "not play" ? Psh, I play bass, so..and don't play lots of tabs anymore..
Back to top Go down
ForgedInLife
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am

Hello all,

Hope you had a great weekend and are ready for tomorrow! I know I am. Been counting these days for a long time!

I have a couple quick and beginner questions again about the 6 string and reading music.

I’ve been trying to learn the Here Comes My Man rhythm part and I have the chord list but am having trouble deciphering what Brian’s strumming pattern is. I guess I don’t have an ear for this yet. Sounds like, to me, down down down up down then change??

Also, I heard Gaslight’s “The War” cover yesterday and instantly wanted to learn it. All I could find was chord lists, so do I fret the chord formation and play each string individually? Clearly its not a chord play unless I’m reading the wrong music or Gaslight did the song totally different.

Sorry for the very beginner questions but just want to make sure I’m on the right track.

Thanks a lot! \m/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginning guitarist question   Beginning guitarist question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginning guitarist question
Page 1 of 1