DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Classic Rock

Go down 
+3
IrishNameAndAnInjury
enola
Klown
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 7:15 pm

The guys are in this months Classic Rock mag, which is out for subscribers already.

There is an article and album review (a good one) in it. Hoping to get a scan for tomorrow Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:38 am

Cool! Looking forward to the scan Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:37 am

Sorry, I don't have a scanner, so digital camera it is! Also sorry about the size, but I'm sure it will be handier for saving it and reading it from there. I also await the mental breakdown from the article itself...

Review:
Classic Rock Sam_0611

Classic Rock Sam_0610

Article *steps back from the thread....*
Classic Rock Sam_0612

Classic Rock Sam_0613

Classic Rock Sam_0614

Classic Rock Sam_0615

Classic Rock Sam_0616
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for uploading this, Gordon! I thought the album was review was really good and I even liked the article, but man were there a lot of Bruce comparisons! It was well-written, but jeez, Brian is never going to get away from the "this generation's Springsteen" label, is he? That's actually one of the best compliments he could receive as a musician, but where does it end?
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:03 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Thanks for uploading this, Gordon! I thought the album was review was really good and I even liked the article, but man were there a lot of Bruce comparisons! It was well-written, but jeez, Brian is never going to get away from the "this generation's Springsteen" label, is he? That's actually one of the best compliments he could receive as a musician, but where does it end?
Bruce Springsteen took years to shed the "new Dylan" labels (even though Springsteen's music was as different from Dylan's as Gaslight's is from Springsteen's). It's just the way things go. Considering TGA has only been around five-ish years and their most well-regarded album is absolutely laced with direct Springsteen references, those comparisons are going to stick for at least a few more albums. It might feel like we've been hearing the comparisons forever, but the band's only recorded three (now four) albums. That's just a blink in time.
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 pm

The M wrote:
Bruce Springsteen took years to shed the "new Dylan" labels (even though Springsteen's music was as different from Dylan's as Gaslight's is from Springsteen's). It's just the way things go. Considering TGA has only been around five-ish years and their most well-regarded album is absolutely laced with direct Springsteen references, those comparisons are going to stick for at least a few more albums. It might feel like we've been hearing the comparisons forever, but the band's only recorded three (now four) albums. That's just a blink in time.

At least the majority of the articles now refer to Springsteen as like, an uncle or big brother to them, rather than just some rock god whose music and style they're ripping. This article referenced Springsteen a lot but made a conscious point to be like "they're a lot more than just Bruce" and "Springsteen is just this guy in the neighborhood who hangs out with them!" than in awe of him.
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for posting this! Real good article and pretty decent review too. I just can't wait for this album! I think the Bruce references in this case are actually pretty deliberate. While we're aware, possibly even annoyed with the references, this article is going to reach a different audience (aside from those of us who've been fans for years) and just the mere mention or comparison with Springsteen (along with the well written article, band photos, Brian's good quotes, their hard working image, etc.) may be enough to bring interest to a new audience. So while we've been hearing it for years, not everyone has.

By the way, Brian looks way cool with a halfway scruffy beard. Hope he keeps it.
Back to top Go down
The M
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:08 pm

holdsteady82 wrote:
Thanks for posting this! Real good article and pretty decent review too. I just can't wait for this album! I think the Bruce references in this case are actually pretty deliberate. While we're aware, possibly even annoyed with the references, this article is going to reach a different audience (aside from those of us who've been fans for years) and just the mere mention or comparison with Springsteen (along with the well written article, band photos, Brian's good quotes, their hard working image, etc.) may be enough to bring interest to a new audience. So while we've been hearing it for years, not everyone has.

By the way, Brian looks way cool with a halfway scruffy beard. Hope he keeps it.
Agreed. What people have to keep in mind is that in reviews and stories like this, the writer is almost NEVER writing toward Gaslight fans. They're writing for a wider audience--some of whom may certainly be Gaslight fans, but many of whom are not. Comparisons are easy to write, they're easy to relate to ("I don't know who on earth the Gaslight Anthem is, but I like Bruce Springsteen, cool!") and they help to give a context. Even if that context feels overplayed to fans who have heard it a million times.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Solid article, good angle. All these mag articles coming out are going to shove them out front, and from what I saw in St. Louis and Minneapolis, they're ready for it. GO GET EM BOYS!
Back to top Go down
holdsteady82
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Is it just me or do the guys look like they haven't showered in a couple of days?

I actually like there look here, not that it's much different. It's real GA (and I don't think they'd dress up and play off an image that's not them), but it definitely fits with their working class image that the writer is trying to convey to a wider audience who have never heard of TGA.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Would love to get a print of some of those photos, the guys look well there, and I do have to agree with the points brought up here, about preaching to the unconverted.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks for uploading, Gordon. Apart from the Bruce comparisons why did they try to make them look like bad boy rockers in the pictures? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:15 pm

jdc wrote:
The M wrote:

At least the majority of the articles now refer to Springsteen as like, an uncle or big brother to them, rather than just some rock god whose music and style they're ripping. This article referenced Springsteen a lot but made a conscious point to be like "they're a lot more than just Bruce" and "Springsteen is just this guy in the neighborhood who hangs out with them!" than in awe of him.

I totally agree with what you guys are saying. The Bruce comparisons aren't a bad thing at all and this article didn't make it sound like Brian was trying to be Springsteen Jr., I just find it slightly annoying that Gaslight gets compared to Bruce SO much. Again, not a bad thing, I have loved Bruce's music my whole life, it's just a little much sometimes.
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:47 pm

enola wrote:
Thanks for uploading, Gordon. Apart from the Bruce comparisons why did they try to make them look like bad boy rockers in the pictures? Wink
Cause "NICE BOYS DON'T PLAY ROCK AND ROLL! "
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classic Rock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Rock   Classic Rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Rock
Page 1 of 1