DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ian Perkins

Go down 
+45
bringiton
Holland
Labhras
FelixMA
enola
Kosburn59
Emusic
EveryWordHandwritten
brucesboots
azlisa
njguy99
Bea
saltandburn1967
bringiton_ty
A_Regular
El Jefe
kirstyt
TheSultanOfSwing
steady now steady now
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Jeff
Camus
bakerfall
IKeeptheDiner
Harbortown
StitchesOnTheRadio
Christophe
TGAFAN25
DiamondSinatra
moosicmaniac
Mary Ann
steph
HighLonesome
JJW319
plugga
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
Klown
AGoodTime
ral
Jack
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
NeverTrustAJunkie
Steve70s
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

Ian Perkins - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :
This is honestly rather ridiculous and based on simple opinions without much substantial evidence to support it.
Exactly.

I'm defending Ian because as of right now, there's no evidence to support anyone's argument at all. Really what this all sounds like are people trying to sound like they know something about playing guitar through criticizing Ian.

I'd also like to know what compels anyone to count missed notes during a show. Is there a prize for guessing the correct amount? Razz

Multiple people have pointed out the issues they've heard. It's not made up.

I'm tired of this, some people agree with me and some don't. I hope he gets acclimated and is great on the new songs and more transparent, or even add something, to the old ones.

I DO know something about playing guitar, as do others on the board. When you know how to play guitar, it can make things like being out of tune, behind the beat, playing wrong chords more obvious. That's the only reason I brought it up.

I don't want to go around criticizing every video or recording I hear, that's not fair, but i'll try to make some more mental notes for future arguments.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:53 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
While it would be prudent to give Gaslight & Ian some time to coalesce as a unit, I don't understand why some people are getting so vehemently defensive over the issue. Look, there's a bunch of people who have noticed his mistakes in the limited amount of times it's possible to have seen him live. For me it was 2: one guest spot at Great Plaza in Philly where he played Old Haunts and was making audible mistakes. The other at the 45 video shoot when he was playing unnecessarily during the most hushed parts of Here's Looking At You, Kid while furiously out of tune.
Limited amount of times?

This is him playing Old Haunts back in 2010. No mistakes. Him being out of tune a few times is a technicality. An unfortunate one, but come on, shit happens. Alex R and Alex L sing out of tune pretty much every concert. Brian hardly sings perfect most of the time. I've heard them all mess up on occasion. Do you really want to scrutinize every little thing everyone does?
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Yes. Because it makes him sound like he knows something.

Never seen anyone play a perfect show note for note. Maybe people that lip synch.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Ian Perkins - Page 4 RbM5S

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Hahaha, John, you are awesome.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm

OMG my face hurts from laughing
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Hahahaha I love that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:21 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
Hahahaha I love that.
YOU.

Last night I watched a documentary about weird ways to die when they mentioned chain gangs. That word stuck with me and I thought "Where the hell have I heard that?" And it turned into one of those "Oh fuck it's from a song but I don't know which one" but I figured out it could be TGA related. My internet was down so I couldn't look it up. What song is it from?
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Hahah surprisingly not many Gaslight fans make the connection but it's Our Fathers' Sons, which was one of their first songs.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Ah yes, there it is. It's a great song but I haven't listened to it a whole lot, I suppose that's why it wasn't instantly obvious.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:32 pm

*sigh* Whatever, man. I thought I was pretty fair about the whole thing, but I must just be some know-nothing kid on the internet trying to be a hotshot.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Ah yes, there it is. It's a great song but I haven't listened to it a whole lot, I suppose that's why it wasn't instantly obvious.

Thanks.

I'da Called You Woody?
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:42 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

Never seen anyone play a perfect show note for note. Maybe people that lip synch.

Edited because I don't want to keep going further down this road.

Last edited by JohnnyC on Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:47 pm

I think everyone needs to hug it out.

Ian Perkins - Page 4 Willferroffice
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:48 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Thanks.

I'da Called You Woody?
Boy do I feel silly now.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:49 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
*sigh* Whatever, man. I thought I was pretty fair about the whole thing, but I must just be some know-nothing kid on the internet trying to be a hotshot.
Take it easy bro, I'm just being silly.

Now how about responding to my actual post?
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Harbortown wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Thanks.

I'da Called You Woody?
Boy do I feel silly now.

Hahahahaha perfect storm of avatar matching the words contained in the post.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Harbortown wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Thanks.

I'da Called You Woody?
Boy do I feel silly now.

That too. Actually I didn't even catch that one.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Thanks.

I'da Called You Woody?
Boy do I feel silly now.

Hahahahaha perfect storm of avatar matching the words contained in the post.
Haha good catch, that's why I'll never break from my pattern of Earl Hickey avatars, he always makes the perfect faces.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:57 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

Edited because I don't want to keep going further down this road.

No it's ok, I already saw it Smile

It's the internet. We give each other a hard time about things we care about. It's all good.
Your buddy, NTAJ
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

I typed up a response but I deleted it and instead here's what I'll say:

This honestly makes my head hurt. I fucking hate arguing on the internet with a fiery passion, so I'm done.

P.S. I don't have any problem with you whatsoever, or the way you debate things. You seem like a reasonable guy with a sense of humor and you're clearly capable of conceding points rather than stick your fingers in your ears and shout. But not everyone is as cool under fire as Earl Hickey.

P.P.S NTAJ, I have no issue with you either...I'm just one of the most truthful, honest people out there and I take people at their word so when I get challenged on that front (meaning my truth-telling) I tend to get worn down. I just want to take a nap haha.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah that's cool, I kinda regretted asking you to respond to my post.

No need to keep going in a discussion that ultimately leads nowhere.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:39 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

I typed up a response but I deleted it and instead here's what I'll say:

This honestly makes my head hurt. I fucking hate arguing on the internet with a fiery passion, so I'm done.

P.S. I don't have any problem with you whatsoever, or the way you debate things. You seem like a reasonable guy with a sense of humor and you're clearly capable of conceding points rather than stick your fingers in your ears and shout. But not everyone is as cool under fire as Earl Hickey.

P.P.S NTAJ, I have no issue with you either...I'm just one of the most truthful, honest people out there and I take people at their word so when I get challenged on that front (meaning my truth-telling) I tend to get worn down. I just want to take a nap haha.

I'm going to echo this post largely. I hate arguing on the internet too and didn't think my opinion was going to be all that controversial, apparently it was.

Regardless of any of this, I know going to shows is still going to kick ass and i"m going to love the new album. Hope everyone has fun at the shows this summer.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:14 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :
This is honestly rather ridiculous and based on simple opinions without much substantial evidence to support it.
Exactly.

I'm defending Ian because as of right now, there's no evidence to support anyone's argument at all. Really what this all sounds like are people trying to sound like they know something about playing guitar through criticizing Ian.

I'd also like to know what compels anyone to count missed notes during a show. Is there a prize for guessing the correct amount? Razz

lol! Hahaha. I know a thing or two about music and I do listen closely but I have the same reaction when I hear about all this because I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show if I focused THAT intently.

Also, it's a common argument that he doesn't add much. That's fair (at the moment because we haven't heard enough new stuff) but what did you want him to add to the old? An additional riff? I'd be concerned if he started improvising in the middle of T59S or something.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

Ahhhh...everybody's buds again.

It looks like all my friends have...turned the record over.

Yes, I went there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ian Perkins
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next