DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ian Perkins

Go down 
+45
bringiton
Holland
Labhras
FelixMA
enola
Kosburn59
Emusic
EveryWordHandwritten
brucesboots
azlisa
njguy99
Bea
saltandburn1967
bringiton_ty
A_Regular
El Jefe
kirstyt
TheSultanOfSwing
steady now steady now
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Jeff
Camus
bakerfall
IKeeptheDiner
Harbortown
StitchesOnTheRadio
Christophe
TGAFAN25
DiamondSinatra
moosicmaniac
Mary Ann
steph
HighLonesome
JJW319
plugga
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
Klown
AGoodTime
ral
Jack
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
NeverTrustAJunkie
Steve70s
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

Ian Perkins - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:52 am

Harbortown wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
Accept him as part of the band because he's nice or shut up and go away if you question it.
Where exactly did anyone say he's part of the band because he's nice?

A whole bunch of people said they hope he becomes a member of the band because he's nice.

As for his ability, I think he's moderately capable of playing basic rhythm (not without occasional issues btw) and has shown little else. I guess I'm just disappointed that Gaslight decided to change their dynamic to bring such little change to the music. Ian brings nothing original to the table, not one iota. To me, that's just not good enough for them.

Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 am

I just watched the billboard video and they gave Ian a lead (1:47 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4El6kXI7E6k&feature=relmfu

I think that answers the question of Ians soloing ability. That is just awful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks, bakerfall - great couple of posts - agree 100% cheers Cool

Yeah, 3.13 on video - that's how to play a solo with soul, feeling and ability. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:32 am

dan gaslight wrote:
Thanks, bakerfall - great couple of posts - agree 100% cheers Cool

Yeah, 3.13 on video - that's how to play a solo with soul, feeling and ability. Very Happy

Exactly. I want Gaslight to be as good as they can be and the concept of adding another guitar is honestly a very good one. However, bringing Ian on because he is their friend and not because he is awesome at guitar does not improve them. In some cases, it makes them worse. As I said before, the only time you notice Ian's playing is when it's bad.

I realize it "doesn't matter" what I say and i should just deal with it. As a fan, and as a guitar player, that's hard to do.

As for the "I saw him and he sounded fine to me crowd", I seriously doubt you even heard him. Here is a video where Brian isn't even playing, and it takes serious effort to hear Ian at all on this. He is so low in the mix that he's basically inaudible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ct9-o5YhQU

Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 pm

in all seriousness i actually love ian. i think he's even better than alex. i like alex too but he basically just plays chords high up the neck of the guitar for every song, it's like he's hiding behind the high notes. ian has taste and the fact that he can play so well in lower octaves shows up alex.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Labhras wrote:
in all seriousness i actually love ian. i think he's even better than alex. i like alex too but he basically just plays chords high up the neck of the guitar for every song, it's like he's hiding behind the high notes. ian has taste and the fact that he can play so well in lower octaves shows up alex.

There is no way this is a serious post.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 pm

bakerfall wrote:
Labhras wrote:

name one gaslight song were alex doesn't just play high up the neck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Er, Alex is the lead guitarist - by nature that's where lead guitarists play. scratch He actually plays some great intricate stuff all over the neck if you listen throughout the songs.

Not sure if you're just winding us up or if you genuinely don't know a lot about guitar playing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Labhras wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
Labhras wrote:

name one gaslight song were alex doesn't just play high up the neck.

a.) there are a lot of songs where alex doesn't just "play high up the neck", although his style does tend to that.
b.) playing high on the neck is not easier than playing lower on the neck. The whole concept of octaves on guitar is irrelevant, it's not like a vocal range.
c.) what has Ian played that gives you any idea what his "taste" is, and when have you8 heard him play "so well".

You may not like Alex's style, which is fine, but to suggest that Ian is a better guitar player is out right laughable. Ian plays rhythm 99.9% of the time and the one time I've really heard him play lead with gaslight, it was awful.

Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 pm

dan gaslight wrote:
Er, Alex is the lead guitarist - by nature that's where lead guitarists play. scratch He actually plays some great intricate stuff all over the neck if you listen throughout the songs.

Not sure if you're just winding us up or if you genuinely don't know a lot about guitar playing! Very Happy

I'm guessing that since this guy has gone from saying Ian is "proper crap" to then saying he's better than Alex, it seems like a whole lot of trolling to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 pm

bakerfall wrote:

I'm much more a rhythm guitarist than a lead one, but what exactly was wrong with it? It's very garage-y sounding, and totally fits in with what they're doing in the song.

Although I do totally admit, Alex > Ian.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Matt L wrote:
bakerfall wrote:

I'm much more a rhythm guitarist than a lead one, but what exactly was wrong with it? It's very garage-y sounding, and totally fits in with what they're doing in the song.

Although I do totally admit, Alex > Ian.

Missed notes, bad bends, no feel, chunking on chords. It's tentative and mediocre at best. You can play something that sounds raw and "garage-y" and still have it sound good.

Music is subjective, but if you think this sounds like a good solo, we're just going to have to disagree.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:42 pm

eh, are you guys forgetting about a little album called Elsie? ian was all over that shit. and as for it just being alex's "style" to play high up the neck, proper guitarists like tom morrello and eric clapton play all over the fretboard. even bruce springsteen does. fact is alex really just plays the melody but the register he's playing in is so high it makes it sound like it's different and "intricate".
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Labhras wrote:
eh, are you guys forgetting about a little album called Elsie? ian was all over that shit. and as for it just being alex's "style" to play high up the neck, proper guitarists like tom morrello and eric clapton play all over the fretboard. even bruce springsteen does. fact is alex really just plays the melody but the register he's playing in is so high it makes it sound like it's different and "intricate".

Alex is not the best guitarist in the world, but his sound is an essential part of Gaslight. He leaves his mark on almost every song. Is he Morello or Clapton, no. Is he good, yes. Is he better than Ian, hell yes. Alex plays all over the fretboard anyway, this is a crazy argument. Do you play guitar?

Elsie is not marked with loads of great guitar playing, and from what I've seen of them live, much of what I really like is Brian. If you can show some videos of songs where you think Ian is amazing with the HC, I'd be happy to watch. Maybe I'm missing it. Regardless of the HC, this thread has been about his involvement in Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Essentially Ian is a member of the band because he is part of their team. If it was about a better live sound they should have got somebody who can sing good backing vocals and play the guitar.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Holland wrote:
Essentially Ian is a member of the band because he is part of their team. If it was about a better live sound they should have got somebody who can sing good backing vocals and play the guitar.

DING
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Lahbras, if your trolling then I applaud you.

But if your actually serious, I suggest you zip it and stop making a complete tit of yourself Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:12 pm

If you read the interview in total guitar magazine, Ian basically says his job is similar to Alex l's, to provide a solid backing to allow the others to do their thing. Go read that interview.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 pm

bakerfall wrote:
Holland wrote:

DING

Just to clarify, i wasn't implying that Ian can't play the guitar, some rhythm guitarists are seriously good at what they do.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm not sure if it was mentioned - I've tried to avoid this thread. But There is a great picture of Ian hiding in the sleeve where the actual vinyl is. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Well the guys performed on the Jimmy Fallon show minus the extra rhythm guitar - how do you all think '45' sounded?

Personally, I think they sounded great - best version I've heard yet. Everything was less muddy and the instruments and vocals had a lot more space. Alex R's guitar work was loud and clear, driving the song along. Brians vocals were strong and sat nice in the mix - alot better that he didn't have an extra guitar to shout over.

I've no idea why Ian didn't perform as his guitar and amp were set up.

P.S. I thought the backing vocals were great too.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/the-gaslight-anthem-45-72712/1411570
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Ian is part of the band and there's nothing you guys can do about it.

Ian Perkins - Page 10 Dealwithit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Ian is part of the band and there's nothing you guys can do about it.

He wasn't last night, mate! Razz
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:10 pm

The only difference I hear with Ian not there is the sound isn't as big. That's probably partially because of the mix I know that. But how different do you expect it to be anyway? He's playing the same thing as Brian. It just adding some more power to it because it's a second guitar. Brian doesn't have to "shout" over anything. They can take care of that in the mix.

Dan, correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like you get WAY too much joy out of tearing this guy down. Just let it be man.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Brian's vocals seemed good on the online video I watched but when I played it on my TV from my DVR I could barely hear him. Wonder if they changed the mix before putting it online. Or if I'm just imagining things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ian Perkins   Ian Perkins - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ian Perkins
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next