DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christmas Song ?

Go down 
+11
AngryJohnnyN1930
kuruptlon
jzancan
thecosmickid
MKULTRA
Angry Johnny
steady now steady now
IKeeptheDiner
Bea
Ghost
The boy from Little Eden
15 posters
AuthorMessage
The boy from Little Eden
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 pm

I was wondering if any of you have any idea if tga would be coming out with possibly a christmas single , in my opinion I think it would be a great idea. If not a new song , mabey do a cover ? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of "I Believe In Father Christmas" , I think tga would do a great cover of this song or mabey even "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" "Merry Christmas Baby" A bruce springsteen holiday favorite.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:04 pm

I'd like to think they were a bit better then that, unless it was released for free as a bit of fun. Bruce's version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is awesome though.
Back to top Go down
The boy from Little Eden
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:11 pm

I agree with you on that , it is one of my favorite christmas songs.. Im just saying that lots of great musicians have done christmas cover songs , I believe Gaslight Anthem could write there own killer christmas song but maybe just like you said coming out with a classic cover song for fun wouldnt be so bad either.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 pm

i've always thought that bands/artists that came up with christmas songs and albums only did it to increase their sales during the holidays, so i personally wouldn't want Gaslight realising a christmas single... although if it's for free and for fun (like the Fake Problems cover), then it would be cool. but i don't see that happening any time soon Razz
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 4:08 pm

definitely the kinks father christmas if anything.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

I can't stand rock groups doing Christmas songs. What a Face Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm

I have to say, Frank Turner's version of 'Last Christmas' is simply brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 pm

isnt half the band jewish? dont know how that makes for good christmas music....just sayin.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 12:59 am

i actually think that TGA could pull off a good secular Christmas song.

one of Brian's romantic stories with Christmas Day as a backdrop. could work.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Angry Johnny wrote:
isnt half the band jewish? dont know how that makes for good christmas music....just sayin.

Well christmas is older than christianity, so it doesn't really have anything to do with that religion. They just took that holiday when Rome became christians, because they already celebrated christmas.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:21 am

thecosmickid wrote:
Angry Johnny wrote:

Well christmas is older than christianity, so it doesn't really have anything to do with that religion. They just took that holiday when Rome became christians, because they already celebrated christmas.

Pretty sure Christmas isn't older than Christianity (after all, the name "Christmas" derives from "Christ's Mass"). The Dec. 25th date does parallel that of the solstice celebration, which was on the Roman calendar, but they're two different things.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:40 am

For my money it doesn't get any better than Bruce Springsteens Merry Christmas Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi9kvO2zL2E

I'm surprised no one suggested covering the Pogues Farytale in New York. Not that I would ever want them to cover that song, but it seemed like an obvious choice.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:18 am

Oh if they covered Darlene Love's "Alone on Christmas", red/green lights and snowflakes would fly in my implosion
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 am

The Pogues fairytale of New York is the best xmas song of all time, and should never be covered by any body simply because it would never work, cant see Gaslight covering a Bruce song again, think thats been done and is well in the past now.
Think Tumbling Dice/She loves you is as near to a Christmas single as your gonna get this year.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 8:52 am

jzancan wrote:
thecosmickid wrote:
Angry Johnny wrote:

Pretty sure Christmas isn't older than Christianity (after all, the name "Christmas" derives from "Christ's Mass"). The Dec. 25th date does parallel that of the solstice celebration, which was on the Roman calendar, but they're two different things.

Of course the english name for it is different -.-
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:31 am

kuruptlon wrote:
For my money it doesn't get any better than Bruce Springsteens Merry Christmas Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi9kvO2zL2E

I'm surprised no one suggested covering the Pogues Farytale in New York. Not that I would ever want them to cover that song, but it seemed like an obvious choice.

Bruce' version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is awesome too. He played it in the encores in Oslo in December 2007 on the first european leg of the Magictour.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:33 am

The boy from Little Eden wrote:
I was wondering if any of you have any idea if tga would be coming out with possibly a christmas single , in my opinion I think it would be a great idea. If not a new song , mabey do a cover ? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of "I Believe In Father Christmas" , I think tga would do a great cover of this song or mabey even "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" "Merry Christmas Baby" A bruce springsteen holiday favorite.

New song, 'Santa's getting a tattoo'... santa
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:56 am

shameless...... BUT
I'm excited about this one... Me and six other people doing a lil "Jingle Medly."
Jingle bells, batman smells version, and jingle bell rock, turned out real nice.
Happy Holidays everyone!

http://soundcloud.com/the-well-being/jingle-batman-dashing-rock

Oh and the Killers have a new Christmas song, all proceeds goes to AIDS prevention in Africa. It's a great tune to "boot." Wink

(it's called Boots)
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:54 am

I don't know if this is a Christmas-y kinda song, but I definitely think they (Brian) could do a cover of Joni Mitchell's "River".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3vKiaKe_w

Robert Downey Jr did a version once as well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjQfFsQKuw

I associate it with Christmas cus it was used in an episode of the The Wonder Years that took place at Christmas. I'm old.

Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 6:47 pm

brucesboots wrote:
The Pogues fairytale of New York is the best xmas song of all time, and should never be covered by any body simply because it would never work.

There was a documentary about the making of Fairytale... on BBC3 a few years back, it's available in 6 parts on Youtube. Includes the horrid version done by Ronan Keating... and Christy Moore's excellent version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0u3ZwAxG3M

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Christmas Song ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Song ?   Christmas Song ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas Song ?
Page 1 of 1