DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Female Singer Song Writers

Go down 
+15
andy.mac
loazis
McMenemy
simo
TGG
efofex
Topher
kieran
moosicmaniac
xstevenbx
steady now steady now
Daire
Palmer89
Shrewsbury_Stars
patches for holes
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
patches for holes
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Female Singer Song Writers Empty
PostSubject: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am

I think like a lot of other guys on the forum I'm listening to a lot of acoustic singer-songwriters at the moment - Chuck Ragan, Frank Turner, Sam Russo, Ben Nichols, etc. All awesome music but does anyone know of any female singer song-writers that are worth checking out at the moment?

Be interested to know

Cheers,
Graham
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 am

Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls is amazing.
Cat Power is also pretty good.
There this band from Chicago called Company of Thieves who are really good fronted by a great female singer.
and my favorite is Nico. Some of her solo is haunting.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 am

Check out Nicole Atkins. She's terrific.

http://www.myspace.com/nicoleatkins
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 am

Laura Marling is supposed to be pretty big around here, never really heard much from her though.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 am

Much like stand up comedy, it's something women aren't too great at.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 am

Daire wrote:
Much like stand up comedy, it's something women aren't too great at.

Female Singer Song Writers Affraid

ok, I may not know who's hot at the moment, but my CD collection boast a lot of albums by Tracy Chapman and a few by Edie Brickell and by the Indigo Girls
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I don't know much about singer/songwriter stuff, but I love Portishead and Florence & the Machine
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Ani DiFranco is my favorite by far. I definitely suggest checking her out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNbl8iB30M
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 pm

xstevenbx wrote:
I don't know much about singer/songwriter stuff, but I love Portishead and Florence & the Machine

Portishead are absolute quality.

For singer songwriter types there are a few you should check out:

Martha Wainwright http://www.myspace.com/marthawainwright
Gregory and the Hawk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2qScHWZeKc
Josephine Foster http://www.myspace.com/josephinefoster
Marissa Nadler http://www.myspace.com/songsoftheend
Okay im biased with this one as she is local to Portsmouth and puts on some awesome punk shows http://www.myspace.com/el_morgan
Back to top Go down
Topher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Topher

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm by far no expert in this area, but I've been checking out a lot of Lissie recently. It's all in the eye of the beholder to determine if you like her or not; I find her music appealing, even though she did a lady gaga cover (-_-)
Back to top Go down
http://youkeepthediner.tumblr.com
efofex
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
efofex

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:27 pm

REGINA SPEKTOR!
Back to top Go down
TGG
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:11 am

Cat Power's album, "The Greatest" is...well, great. I love Zooey Dechanel of She & Him (and no I'm not just saying that because she's wicked hot, even though she is)...

..Oh, and Shonna Tucker of the Drive-by Truckers has really come on strong lately and contributed two killer tracks ("You Got Another" and "One Day It's Gonna Be I Told You So") to their latest album, The Big To Do. I saw them live back in the spring, and they came out for the second set with just Shonna at the piano, and she did a haunting performance of "You Got Another" that was maybe the highlight of the night for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Maria Taylor. Basically the female version of Conor Oberst. Emily Haines from Metric has a couple amazing solo albums out, too.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:09 am

I second She & Him* and Company of Thieves. I'll also add Lisa Hannigan.

*Check out M. Ward's solo stuff too, although he's obviously not a female singer songwriter.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 am

simo wrote:
I second She & Him* and Company of Thieves. I'll also add Lisa Hannigan.

*Check out M. Ward's solo stuff too, although he's obviously not a female singer songwriter.

Without wantin to disrail the thread. I'm sure you put him on your mixtape. He's great. Cheers fo that! Female Singer Song Writers Herz
Back to top Go down
McMenemy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Michelle Branch is pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Kate Nash is also pretty good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:16 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Kate Nash is also pretty good

i second that, i like her music and she is a really good live singer.
and she's pretty too =)
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:23 pm

There's loads it seems, many names to check out after reading through these comments =)

I sort of digged Katy Perry as well, not because of her emotional deep songwriting (=P) but you know, everybody needs a bit of poppish sweetness every once in a while. After hearing the new songs though I am not amused. Snoop Dogg is pretty dope, or at least he used to be but it just all sounds like all the other popstuff out there to me now.

Kate Nash is cool, I'm a huge sucker for British accents on girls.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm

This video is sooooo awesome
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 am

florence + the machine and laura marling
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 12:43 am

Palmer89 wrote:
Laura Marling is supposed to be pretty big around here, never really heard much from her though.

I saw Laura Marling live, and she's got some great work. I also enjoyed the Smoke Fairies, a female blues/english folk duo that toured with her.

Brandi Carlile is one of my favorites, and I love her song Dying Day. She's more a country singer-songwriter, so it may not be your thing, but she's amazing.

I second She & Him, which someone mentioned earlier.

There's a local Dallas artist, Sarah Jaffe, who's pretty awesome as well. Check out Vulnerable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:24 am

She and Him are good.

Lauren Pritchard too - http://www.myspace.com/laurenpritchardmusic
Back to top Go down
PJayBe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:42 am

Lucinda Williams and Kathleen Edwards to name but two with a bit of real attitude.

Philip
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 am

Mark Kozelek of Sun Kil Moon and the Red House Painters
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Female Singer Song Writers   Female Singer Song Writers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Female Singer Song Writers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next