DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+26
Anya_TGA
pepperedham
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
zerb012345
JimmyB
StitchesOnTheRadio
Aregular_89
jzancan
sinkorswimmydear
mwh
kieran
Palmer89
e7c
vamike
drifter69
RobertODonnell
Stevearm
talley
massie1903
tdawg
colmillionaire
simo
Stalls_Standing
thecosmickid
Prisoner
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Empty
PostSubject: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 5:41 pm

So my dad is a huge fan of good music such as Springsteen, Dylan, Van Morrison, Sam Cooke, Tom Waits and many, many others and almost every artist that Gaslight happens to reference. When I bought the '59 Sound I let my dad listen to it and while he normally hates punkmusic he really liked it. I even had to buy him the '59 Sound on vinyl when I went to see them live and now he's spinning it quite often.
What about your parents?
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 5:56 pm

I got my whole family to listen to gaslight anthem Very Happy
Usually we differ quite a lot so it's fun that we all like the same band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm

you are really lucky guys^^

my parents are awesome, but when it comes to music, we are total opposites and it's the same with my two sisters.

my father said everythings sounds the same (after listening to 2 songs by tga)and then we started fighting about my music just as we always do, because he really dislikes my metal, punk, ska and whatever music and me going to those concerts.

my mother usually listens to female singers like: celine dion, barbara streisand, shirley bassey and so on. last time we were sitting in the car together i had my "recreation" mixtpae playing, containing "here's looking at you kid" and blue jeans & and white t-shirts.
i think she liked it, because she wanted to hear it twice.

my older sister is the kind of person that likes a lot of music, but a lot i would never listen to (ike techno) and she calls my ska-music "circus music". but i managed to get her listening to some of my metal and hard rock.^^

i would say my younger sister is gotta be the one the most open to my music. i brought her to listen to less than jake, rise against and other bands when i was younger.
the last time i drove her to the city to get food for the family, i had my "59 sound" album playing in the radio and i guess she really liked it^^
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Both my Mum and Dad and brother all like Gaslight Anthem, we all went to see them for my 19th Smile
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 9:04 pm

My dad likes The 59 Sound a bunch, he hasn't heard Sink or Swim. My mom likes "Old White Lincoln" but I'm not sure about their other songs.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 2:04 am

my dad has seen them 6-7 times? he even saw them solo on that rise against tour last year. we even took my mom to one (at the troc in march) and she loved it as well
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 am

My dad likes The Boss, but my parents weren't fans of TGA. My mom really liked Here's Lookin At You Kid though...
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 pm

My mum and dad aren't exactly musically minded. Although, my dad likes some golden oldies (Queen, John Miles, Sinatra, etc...) and my mum is into a few different female singers, but nothing special.

When we were in Orlando a couple of weeks ago, I let them listen to the 59 Sound and my dad seemed to like it, but my mum and sister (she's 15) weren't too keen.

Starting to get my sister into TGA, though, and she seems to like the slower songs (Blue Jeans, Here's Looking... etc).

Getting my mum an iPod for christmas so hopefully she'll get into them.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am

My mom likes them too, but my dad drove her crazy when he was playing Here's Looking At You like 10 times in a row. He knows all the lyrics from that song by his head
Back to top Go down
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 am

Both my parents are big TGA fans, my dad moreso than my mom though, i have converted my little sister into a fan of some good music, but she is still into stuff like the jonas brothers and other disney-ish stuff
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:50 am

I really got my brother into TGA, whenever we go anywhere he usually has them playing (hes into really heavy metal and the like). My dad hears me blaring them from my speakers and he says they have a good sound, but I haven't gotten him to REALLY like them, but I will lol. (my dad is actually the person who got me into punk, first time I listened to it was when I was about 11 or 12, he had me listen to Pirate's Life by The Vandals and Kill The Poor by Dead Kennedys, I've loved the stuff since)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:54 am

I got my older brother to become a fan (I just left out a CD in his room, and that's all it took).

I got my younger brother to use "I'da Called You Woody, Joe" in a video for school. I'm not sure if he's a full fledged fan yet (I'm in college now, so I can't talk to him on a daily basis). I don't see any hope for getting my sister interested, since she listens to rap.

My dad is a major Bruce Springsteen fan. He majorly influenced my musical tastes, since that's what I listened to as a kid (in the car, mostly). I mentioned TGA to him once. He may have listened to some of their stuff, but as I said before, I'm away from home too much to know.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 am

my mother doesnt listen to music much and my father likes a few tracks by tga,i got my 2 little nephews into them though,my youngest nephew who is 9 loves tga
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:58 am

I think my parents do not really care about music. that's weird, I haven't spent ONE day in the past 10+ years whithout listening to music (that I actually wanted listen too. everybody is foreced to listen to some bullshit all the time...) + I play guitar, bass (and drums, but I suck at it) since 2004 and would have began earlier if I had the chance.

not really topic related, sorry.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:48 pm

The Gaslight Anthem and James Taylor are the only two artists that everyone in my family owns an album of! No one else is a super fan like I am, but they do enjoy them
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Doubt my parents do and ever will know who they are.

I've spoken to and have a signed ticket from Brian that I showed off to them and they certainly didn't seem aware...they're very much pop music whoever MTV feeds to them sort of people though.

I like it that way anyway...
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 9:40 pm

My Dad really likes the 59 sound but isnt a fan of the punkier side of the band on Sink or Swim. He was also really impressed how they pulled of the show with Springsteen in London (knowing how big they have blown up and how that was their first really big big show) and really enjoyed their set.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:10 am

kieran wrote:
My Dad really likes the 59 sound but isnt a fan of the punkier side of the band on Sink or Swim. He was also really impressed how they pulled of the show with Springsteen in London (knowing how big they have blown up and how that was their first really big big show) and really enjoyed their set.

My dad didn't like Sink or Swim first, but after a while he said that it was good too and he hates punk rock. Some parts are a little too hard for him though like Red in the Morning or the breakdown in Contender
Back to top Go down
mwh
A Contender
A Contender
mwh

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 2:02 pm

My mum loves "The 59' Sound" single. Which is kinda fitting, because that song got me in to the band when she got sick.
Back to top Go down
sinkorswimmydear
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 2:48 pm

my mother once said that i must own the band because of all the records, concerts and merch. my father bought handwritten and listened to it in the car.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 4:04 pm

I left American Slang in the CD player of my mom's car.  I forgot about it and had been looking for it everywhere--couldn't find it--until one day about a month later:

Mom: "Who's that band you left in my car?"
Me: "Huh?"
Mom:  "I don't know.  He kinda sounds like Springsteen."
Me:  *light bulb goes off, realize that's where AS was* "Oh, Gaslight Anthem!"
Mom:  "Maybe.  Anyway, they are amazing.  I haven't stopped listening to them."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Aregular_89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm

They aren't offensive and appeal to emotions with a classic rock sound.
Back to top Go down
Aregular_89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 4:09 pm

But no, my parents are dead.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Both my parents are big fans. They've been to a couple shows now. My mom wouldn't let me take Handwritten out of her car for over a month, haha.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Mom doesn't like most of the 59 sound- says it rips off too much old music. Dad doesn't care eithe way
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?   Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do your parents like The Gaslight Anthem?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next