DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Education

Go down 
+12
LoisPennycandy
sarahjay
hostutca
Refused
andy.mac
steady now steady now
tdawg
I Came To Dance
Daire
thecosmickid
kieran
mescalero
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sarahjay
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sarahjay

Education - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:16 pm

Well I'm looking at Canadian women poets, and the use of violence in their work - how it's used, why it's used, etc - and ultimately trying to make some connections between the use of violence and an attempt to express feelings of depression, grief, anger, etc in a way that distances them from the sort of hysterical, melodramatic woman that's been represented in literature for ages. So, I'm looking at some Canadian poets, but I thought it might be interesting to do a chapter on female musicians in the current Canadian music scene (the band Metric came to mind, but there are probably better examples).
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Education - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:32 pm

sarahjay wrote:
Well I'm looking at Canadian women poets, and the use of violence in their work - how it's used, why it's used, etc - and ultimately trying to make some connections between the use of violence and an attempt to express feelings of depression, grief, anger, etc in a way that distances them from the sort of hysterical, melodramatic woman that's been represented in literature for ages. So, I'm looking at some Canadian poets, but I thought it might be interesting to do a chapter on female musicians in the current Canadian music scene (the band Metric came to mind, but there are probably better examples).

we may need to continue this off list, in case people started thinking education doesn't rock after all (PM me)

anyway, I assume you know 'The Madwoman in the Attic'; however, I've only just come across Caminero-Santangelo's 1998 'The Madwoman Can't Speak'; I mention it in case you've not come across it either
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
mademoiselle_k
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mademoiselle_k

Education - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 5:22 pm

I've spent 7 years in higher education, and contemplating an 8th one starting fall '10, so i dont care if it's rock'n'roll or not, i'm doing it. if you look at how The Clash related to their own education - they all attended art schools for some time - it's not the education in itself they were refusing, it was the way they were educated. i'm very picky when it comes to the schools i apply to mostly because i'm a very critical asshole and don't want to be assessed on whether or not i managed to rehearse and spit out everything some lecturer said. education can be rock'n'roll is you make the best of it and have it further your ambition in life...

fuck i sound like a suit
Back to top Go down
http://semiautonomouscollective.wordpress.com
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

Education - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm

damn the man K!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Education - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Education
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: