DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Education

Go down 
+12
LoisPennycandy
sarahjay
hostutca
Refused
andy.mac
steady now steady now
tdawg
I Came To Dance
Daire
thecosmickid
kieran
mescalero
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

Education Empty
PostSubject: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:40 pm

not sure if there is already a post for something like this, but...

i'll be graduating from college in April w/a degree in Elementary Education (going to be an elementary school teacher), and i was wondering if anybody else was currently undergoing/recently completed their "higher education".

i don't know if it's "rock n roll" to get degrees, but not all of us can be cool. plus, the lead singer from Bad Religion is a professor at UCLA, so we're not all nerds, right? lemme know!
Back to top Go down

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:24 pm

no, you're not automatically a nerd for caring about education.

well i am currently student at "Karl Franzens Universität Graz" studying "Behaviour Biology".
I will make my undergrad in a year and then i would want to make my master in "Marine Biology.
For that i am planning to move to Oz, so everyone wish me luck.

Love you becoming an elementary school teacher =)
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Im currently studying for a BA in Human Geography and am currently leaning towards the Social and Political aspects of the discipline. Im about to start my second year in a few weeks. Felt I did myself proud this year despite having a really good time messing about and doing all those student type things like drinking most nights my marks where pretty good around 2:1 level on average just need to keep that up.
Back to top Go down

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Yeah, i know exactly what you mean by saying "student things".

i am starting my 4th year in one and a half months.
the summer before starting with university i earned about 2300 euro for working.
in the first two weeks of my "studying" i went out to the city 5times a week spending about 70euro each time. combined with going out to eat and buying stuuf for my flat, after two weeks there was only one third of my vage left over.

the next two months i only ate spaghetti and toast and soup everyday Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:11 pm

yeah, i usually have worked w/ 4th & 5th graders (9-10 year olds), but for my semester of student teaching, i'm going to be working w/ 1st graders (6 year olds). kinda nervous because they'll be so young, not sure how i'll deal w/it. plus, the really little kids tend to be a little scared of me right off the bat.

anyways, should be interesting. i always thought that it'd be cool to have music playing as the students were walking in, before class started. been thinking something along the lines of "Train in Vain" by The Clash or "I Need To Know" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. kind of a way of letting them listen to something besides the jonas brothers or whatever crap they listen to when they're so young. still a ways off til i have my own class, though.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:12 pm

If they're scared of you, how do you look?
Back to top Go down

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:25 pm

wish i had a teacher making me listen to such music when i was that age =) i used to listen to smurf-music that when i was 6 Very Happy

i work with kids to, i am a kids-host at hotels.
kids have been from 3 years old up to 13, sometimes were even not able to speak any german. so try to make kids with totally different ages and speaking different languages do something together.

that is my university:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Graz
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm starting university in mid-September. Got offered my course (Marketing, Innovation and Technology) about a week ago, and sorted accomodation yesterday, so I'm starting to get real excited about moving out.

clashrock11 wrote:
the lead singer from Bad Religion is a professor at UCLA, so we're not all nerds, right? lemme know!

Joe Gittleman from the Bosstones has started as a music prof. in some school too. Teaching's a cool job, but I could only do it with teenagers.
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm also goina to start studying at a univeristy this year, actually in a week. I'm going to study "media and communication studies" (I think it's called that in english). I moved like, 430 miles to go to the university I'm going to (first-time mover too). I'm really excited to start school.
Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 9:43 pm

ha ha... they're not so much scared by how i look, as much as i think it is getting used to the idea of having a male teacher in the classroom. especially in the younger grades, a very large majority of the teachers are female.

plus, my school makes us dress "professionally" (dress shirt, slacks, tie) whenever we're in the classroom, so i think it's also a little intimidating. usually only the (male) principals dress like that, and meeting w/the principal is usually never that good...

i guess it might also be the yardstick that i beat them w/ when they give the wrong answers...
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 5:40 am

It was the same when I went to elementary school, all teachers we had were female! Wonder why that is...

Oh yeah, the yardstick! Works for everything right ;D

A few years ago I actually wanted to be a teacher but then I came to realize I wouldn't be able to stand all the small annoying children Razz I hope you best of luck anyway!
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 am

I'm finishing my fourth year of a Bachelor's in Arts; major in Arts & Technology, minor in Music.
Can't wait for it to be over though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Degrees are very rock 'n' roll as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you're an Arts/Humanities student. It's a very Bohemian life.

I've got a MA (Hons), a MPhil, and a PhD. That aside, I'm a Fellow of two learned societies. Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 am

http://www.courses.qut.edu.au/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Courses.woa/wa/selectUnitFromCourseDetails?courseID=8034&idunit=22657

Click that link above and you'll see whether degrees are rock n roll or not.

I never got to study it (I'm in a different faculty) but two of my mates have.

But yeah I'm in my final year of an economics & finance degree. Looking forward to getting it over & done
with. Might take a break from study once it's done and go back and do something more creative like journalism
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

I've moving to uni in a few weeks to study Magazine Journalism & Feature Writing. I'm glad to finally actually be doing something with my life - somehow I've managed to be unemployed for 6 months now.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm in my first year of Graduate school for school psychology. I was so frustrated with how my school functions (i.e. telling me to be serious when I filled out my career aspirations sheet saying I wanted to be a musician in a punk band) that I wanted to change the system.... funny though, that my personality test predicted that I would become a psychologist...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
sarahjay
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sarahjay

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:07 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Degrees are very rock 'n' roll as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you're an Arts/Humanities student. It's a very Bohemian life.

I've got a MA (Hons), a MPhil, and a PhD. That aside, I'm a Fellow of two learned societies. Education Sleep

Impressive! What are your degrees in? I have an MA in English Lit with a specialization in Gender and Genre. I am extremely rock 'n' roll. Education Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:53 am

sarahjay wrote:

I've got a MA (Hons), a MPhil, and a PhD. That aside, I'm a Fellow of two learned societies. Education Sleep

Impressive! What are your degrees in? I have an MA in English Lit with a specialization in Gender and Genre. I am extremely rock 'n' roll. Education Icon_wink

social anthropology (MA); social & political theory (MPhil); social anthropology (PhD); doesn't it just rock ... Education Icon_biggrin

as for 'Gender and Genre', Brian's lyrics would make for an interesting case study (there are in fact a few academic studies of Springsteen's ouvre)
Back to top Go down

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 5:51 pm

For once course at my place of education some people I was speaking to have to select 10 songs they think are reprsentative of America City Culture and write about them. That's probably the nearest thing to 'rock n roll' they'll get during a Humanities degree.
Back to top Go down
LoisPennycandy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 2:35 am

I'm preparing to transfer for the second time in my undergrad career, so I will be in school forever. Double major in Women's Studies and Afrifcfan American Studies, then I'll sell out and go to law school. It's exciting.
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 pm

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology...every time I spell 'bachelor' I am always almost certain I am missing an extra A. Education Icon_tongue

I am hoping to get into a masters program of some sort down the road.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 am

I'm studying now for a bachelor of arts in Journalism degree at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

I'm also in the school of hard knox
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 11:11 am

Just decided on my dissertation for my BA. Seeing as they need to know by January.

Im going to look at the rise in the global popularity of Brazilian Samba music. Because im coming at it from a cultural geography perspective im going to be looking at where it has grown in popularity and the processes behind why and how. So for example looking at the growth of the communtity samba band phenomena in the UK and the acceptance of samba in mainstream music.

Im loving being back at uni though and getting stuck into doing the modules I really wanted to do (last year we had no say.)
Back to top Go down
sarahjay
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sarahjay

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:36 pm

social anthropology (MA); social & political theory (MPhil); social anthropology (PhD); doesn't it just rock ... Education Icon_biggrin

as
for 'Gender and Genre', Brian's lyrics would make for an interesting
case study (there are in fact a few academic studies of Springsteen's ouvre)

That's very cool! Did you do your studies in England?

I'm taking a year off from school this year, but plan on starting a PhD in English literature next year. I'm working on applications for funding right now...ugh. I'm actually considering incorporating a study of lyrics (not of Gaslight, of a few Canadian bands) into my thesis, but I'm not sure if that's a bit too "out there" for some of the more traditional English departments. I guess it depends on where I'm applying.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:45 pm

sarahjay wrote:

as
for 'Gender and Genre', Brian's lyrics would make for an interesting
case study (there are in fact a few academic studies of Springsteen's ouvre)

That's very cool! Did you do your studies in England?

I'm taking a year off from school this year, but plan on starting a PhD in English literature next year. I'm working on applications for funding right now...ugh. I'm actually considering incorporating a study of lyrics (not of Gaslight, of a few Canadian bands) into my thesis, but I'm not sure if that's a bit too "out there" for some of the more traditional English departments. I guess it depends on where I'm applying.

it may well be too far out there; I once proposed a topic at a very old English university, only to be told that I could perhaps do 'that' in America; you have to check the research interests of the staff to get an idea of what may or may not go down well, but even that can be misleading (oh the stories I could tell ...); so what's the topic?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Education Empty
PostSubject: Re: Education   Education Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Education
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: