DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

She Coulda Raised The Titanic

Go down 
+13
lynchyeatspizza
ktp
Johnny99
carryon820
TGAFAN25
massie1903
younkc15
vamike
Vibes
Jukebox Romeo
Stalls_Standing
steady now steady now
Forum Owner
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

She Coulda Raised The Titanic Empty
PostSubject: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 7:16 am

What's the deal with this song? I have a copy of it, I know it is the original 1930, but can anyone score a better version than the one we have? Are there other SOS demo's out there?
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 8:45 am

Kropotkin wrote:
What's the deal with this song? I have a copy of it, I know it is the original 1930, but can anyone score a better version than the one we have? Are there other SOS demo's out there?

The question should be: 'Are there other SOS demos out there with Mike Volpe on guitar?' I think Alex Rosamilia's guitar playing is a key part of what makes TGA as good they are and, together with Benny, what makes TGA so so much better than the original This Charming Man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 am

This Charming Man, was the band Brian was in before TGA. And This Charming Man were the band that recorded She Coulda Raised The Titantic
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 am

Stalls_Standing wrote:
This Charming Man, was the band Brian was in before TGA. And This Charming Man were the band that recorded She Coulda Raised The Titantic

That was kind of my point, as the Titanic demo was recorded by This Charming Man when it consisted of Brian, Benny, Alex L. and Mike Volpe, as established in another thread.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 am

I think that cause it was such a song close to Brian's heart. he thought he'd carry it through
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Stalls_Standing wrote:
I think that cause it was such a song close to Brian's heart. he thought he'd carry it through
well they never actually released it either, so no reason to leave such a great song as just a demo that no one heard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

I always wonder: do bands know their own stuff is great?

For example, did Brian actually know SCRTT/1930 was as good as it is, or did he carry it over for the personal meaning? Maybe if it had appeared on Every Little Secret it wouldn't have got onto SoS, which could explain the absence of Bleeder and ...Thunder... - two amazing songs. Maybe Brian thought of SCRTT/1930 as his song, rather than his band's, which would be understandable.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 2:31 pm

well, with '59, i remember Brian getting asked a question similar to this. his response was basically that he knew it was better than anything else he'd ever written or recorded, but he was unsure how people would respond to it. i'm sure sometimes bands realize they've written something great, but a lot of times they don't know if other people will think it's as great as the band does
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Danny, I don't know if you've ever done it but I've written a few songs, stepped back and said to myself "I wrote that?"I'm sure 1930 was one of those to Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

haha yeah, once or twice with my newer stuff. on the other hand, have you ever written a song you thought was great, then looked at it the next day and realized that it's a piece of crap? unfortunately, that second scenario happens a lot more often than the first...
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Vibes wrote:
Danny, I don't know if you've ever done it but I've written a few songs, stepped back and said to myself "I wrote that?"I'm sure 1930 was one of those to Brian

I get that feeling with the academic stuff I write, usually about a year on, and end up wondering if I'll ever write anything as clever again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 am

I read somwhere someone once told Brian that only 1 out of every 4 songs you write is any good. Seems a valid theory to me. But I wonder what happened to the 75% of Brian's songs that haven't made it onto an album... maybe a sizeable bribe would persuade him to release them on a multi-CD set!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:58 am

Tomaldo wrote:
I read somwhere someone once told Brian that only 1 out of every 4 songs you write is any good. Seems a valid theory to me. But I wonder what happened to the 75% of Brian's songs that haven't made it onto an album... maybe a sizeable bribe would persuade him to release them on a multi-CD set!!!!!!!!

we will have to wait a while for that, though Springsteen did this with his 4-CD 'Tracks' set many years ago; however, in his case they were studio out-takes; I don't know if TGA recorded many/any songs that never made it onto the actual albums; there certainly haven't been any studio B-sides

Last edited by steady now steady now on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 am

they recorded 12 songs for the first album and 13 (including one cover) for the second. so no unreleased songs
Back to top Go down
younkc15
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
younkc15

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 am

i know i'm a little delayed on this topic, but i thought i'd share what i knew...

SCRTT was on TGA's myspace in 2005 or 2006 and available for download and listed "Titanic". other songs on the myspace back then were "We Came To Dance", "Drive", and "The Navesink Banks"

random, and delayed, i know, but just wanted to share.
Back to top Go down
fmrbassi

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 pm

this song wasnt recorded with benny and alex. it was brian chris clementi mike leboeuf and mike volpe. get your facts straight.
Back to top Go down
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Holy, shit. Chill out, mate.
Back to top Go down
mybad

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

worry im just tired of other people getting credit for something they didnt do. and it happens everywhere. its frustrating when you work really hard on something and other people are given credit. im sure you can understand that.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 pm

That lineup has been recorded here dozens of times so don't worry, they'll get credit where it's due. Not sure why you dug up a thread that was over 6 months old just to clarify this point.

Carry on
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Have you ever considered a career in Law Enforcement?
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:48 am

seeing as the dudes original screen name was ex-bassist. perhaps he played bass in this charming man and wants credit for that? perhaps he's also bitter that TGA is becoming succesful?
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 am

yeah, and perhaps he also needs to be medicated.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 3:49 am

hey it could be worse.. he could be pete best.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 4:43 am

Vibes wrote:
That lineup has been recorded here dozens of times so don't worry, they'll get credit where it's due. Not sure why you dug up a thread that was over 6 months old just to clarify this point.

I think he's taking issue with me, because earlier in this thread I wrote, as it turns out incorrectly, "the Titanic demo was recorded by This Charming Man when it consisted of Brian, Benny, Alex L. and Mike Volpe". I clearly went by information I picked up elsewhere, and no-one here corrceted me at the time, but as I am always happy to be corrected on errors of fact, I've now changed the info on my website as well.
Back to top Go down
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 1:59 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
seeing as the dudes original screen name was ex-bassist. perhaps he played bass in this charming man and wants credit for that? perhaps he's also bitter that TGA is becoming succesful?

Still no need to be rude about it. Manners cost nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: She Coulda Raised The Titanic   She Coulda Raised The Titanic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

She Coulda Raised The Titanic
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next