DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!

Go down 
+19
RobertODonnell
Shrewsbury_Stars
rumham
StitchesOnTheRadio
The_River
MorganEightSix
bt211
steady now steady now
TGA30
ivienco
crsmsi
Roe
miked331
cowgirlwiththeblues
eagles1139
enola
shiftynj
jonnyz83
kjakm
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 am

Loving the new song! Came through on Spotify at Midnight EDT.

"Stacy! I'd like to take you to a movie
In a world without a death wish
On a night underneath the fireworks, and heaven"
Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 3:31 am

Forget Me Not is now officially out!!
https://IslandRecs.lnk.to/ForgetMeNot

Love the sound of it! I love you

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
TGA30
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TGA30

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 am

Admin edit:

Lyrics are posted here: https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t6454-forget-me-not-lyrics

Stacy! id like to take you to a movie
in a world without a deathwish
on a night under the fireworks in heaven

Stacy! baby you cant take me anywhere
because i get a lotta lowdowns
so just put me in the cold ground, and visit

oh but what if, what if my soul was still tremblin

would you put your black dress on and visit my bones
and bring my football top and a scarf for the cold
playin melancholy songs that somehow made us
feel a whole lot better

but im waiting on the kingdom come and the trumpet blow
in the cold hard ground with some letters you wrote
would i get any rest from the wreck that i was living
would you just go on?

Stacy! i never thought id miss the small talk
i never knew the gift the day was
i just used to hear the time clock, whistle stop
sleepin yet back up again

Stacy! i never thought id miss the hard love
i wish i took the time to miss ya
while we were sitting only right there, under heaven

oh but what if, what if my soul was still tremblin

feel a whole lot better

but im waiting on the kingdom come and the trumpet blow
would i get any rest from the wreck that i was living
would you just go on?

and could you promise me something, if you find someone
that you'll forget me not, and never feel too much
even if they do all the things that i couldnt do for you

and i'll promise you something if i find someone
that i'll forget you not, and never feel too much
even if they do all the things that i couldnt do for you

oh but what if, what if your soul was still tremblin?

i would put my black suit on and visit your bones
and bring my football top and a play that you wrote
and an english song by a band that you love
here comes the sun, little darling

and the kingdom comes, and the trumpets blow
would you get any rest from the wreck that i was living?
or would you just go on?

(Please, forget me not)

feel a whole lot better
Please, forget me not

probably not perfect, best i could do at 3am  Razz

Last edited by TGA30 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 am

Nice work! "becomes a psalm(?), little darling" is actually a Beatles reference "Here comes the sun little darling".
Back to top Go down
crsmsi
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 4:26 am

This is insanely good! It feels hopeful and redeeming. And quite honestly, I can use that right now...
Thanks for the lyrics, TGA30! You're awesome doing this at 3 AM. Clap
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 4:50 am

Love it...plenty of energy, and quite a different style to Painkillers, whilst still sounding like him. Really bodes well for the rest of the record. You can definitely hear those mod influences he's been talking about, but it's subtle and doesn't sound like a pastiche.

Lost count of how many times I've played it this morning!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 7:24 am

Good song.  Brian always delivers, lyrically and musically.

That said, can anyone tell me why the Gaslight Anthem couldn't have recorded this?  With Ted Hutt producing anyway, this could have been on American Slang.  (For me, making solo albums still means you do something you wouldn't/couldn't have done with your usual band, such as Elsie.)

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 am

Completely agree Alexander - my first thought was that it was very American Slang.

I guess it depends on the rest of the record though...with Painkillers, I very much thought Rosemary could have been a TGA song, whereas some of the others wouldn't have worked so well. TBH, it seems to me that he's enjoying the freedom of being the boss and making solo records rather than band ones. But maybe a few years down the line, who knows.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 am

Loved the song at first listen Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Yes, it absolutely makes me jump and dance around the house at 8 in the morning  bounce  bounce  bounce Thank you Thank you Brian for your music - my life is so much better with your songs in it.
Back to top Go down
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 am

Strange, my first thought when I heard it was that it was the first song where I thought there is 100% no way Gaslight could’ve done this haha
Back to top Go down
Roe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 am

Not up on the US site for 7digital, anyone see a FLAC for sale in the US? Found it on Tidal but I'm not willing to pay $4.60 for a single... yet, anyways
Back to top Go down
MorganEightSix
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MorganEightSix

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Agree with those saying it sounds like it could have been done by Gaslight but at the same time doesn't sound like a Gaslight song. I guess it sounds more like a full on band rather than Painkillers which felt solo. As soon as I heard it I thought it's going to be a good few years before Gaslight get back together but hey ho. It's a fantastic record, very different, really makes you move. Superb stuff. Listened to it about 5 times in a row.
Back to top Go down
TGA30
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
TGA30

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 2:10 pm

kjakm wrote:
Nice work! "becomes a psalm(?), little darling" is actually a Beatles reference "Here comes the sun little darling".

hmm, how did i miss that? haha

didnt realize someone already had the lyrics up in another thread, but it was still fun going through the song and typing them up lol!
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Thought of American Slang too.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 am

I wanna say first that I'm very much enjoying this new song. BUT am I the only one who sort of feels like the lyrics came out of a "Brian Fallon lyric generator"? We all know he repeats/references his own lyrics and, for the most part, I've always found that endearing. But, it felt like a bit too much here. This song would go from like an 8 to a 10 for me if he had picked up a thesaurus. But still, ya know, an 8 out of 10 is pretty good.

I'm also a little uncomfortable with the fact that he used his wife's actual name. He can of course do what he wants. Just pulls me out of it a little because then it's like "okay this song is about two real people whose existence I know of" vs "this song is about an anonymous couple, therefore they can be any couple, therefore you can incorporate the song into your life. There's also been a few shows in the past where she was right in my eye line and I can just picture that happening again while he's playing this song and it feeling awkward to sing along Shocked  

But, if I just listen and don't really pay too close attention, it's a fun song and I'm enjoying his excitement that it's out.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 4:28 am

I agree with the generator.
Feel a whole lot better is a song by the Byrds that was covered by Tom petty on full moon fever.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 6:59 am

Bingo with the generator.  It's lyrically written as if somebody said hey i'm going to write a song like Brian Fallon would and so they hit every buzz word possible. He needed needed to make it "melancholy songs on the radio" and he's there. I hate to be the critic but it almost strikes me as a parody.  It's every Brian Fallon song rolled up into one.

Hope the rest of the album takes a different direction.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 1:24 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
I'm also a little uncomfortable with the fact that he used his wife's actual name.

Not least because it makes you wonder whether you can discuss the lyrics as freely as if the song was about 'Mary'. I actually find the lyrics quite bleak.

"Could you promise me something if you find someone?
That you'll forget me not
Never feel too much
Even if they do all the things that I couldn't do for you
And I'll promise you something if I find someone
That I'll forget you not
Never feel too much"

More getting hurt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
I'm also a little uncomfortable with the fact that he used his wife's actual name.

Not least because it makes you wonder whether you can discuss the lyrics as freely as if the song was about 'Mary'. I actually find the lyrics quite bleak.  

Never feel too much
That I'll forget you not
Never feel too much"

More getting hurt.

It's not a break-up song though, it's contemplating what your significant other would do if you died.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm

rumham wrote:
Bingo with the generator.  It's lyrically written as if somebody said hey i'm going to write a song like Brian Fallon would and so they hit every buzz word possible. He needed needed to make it "melancholy songs on the radio" and he's there. I hate to be the critic but it almost strikes me as a parody.  It's every Brian Fallon song rolled up into one.

Hope the rest of the album takes a different direction.

Exactly!

steady now steady now wrote:

Never feel too much
That I'll forget you not
Never feel too much"

More getting hurt.

Right, like not that there's anything too invasive in the song but it's still like making me wonder about their relationship vs again, an abstract relationship. Which is weird and uncomfortable. I think maybe Brian doesn't realize how many of his fans know his wife's name.

I actually cracked up at how bleak this song is. Like jeez Fallon, ya'll just started your lives together and you're under 40 and already you're like "okay, when I'm dead, can you just not forget about me or fall too hard for some other guy?". And here we go again. I'm thinking of his personal business while just analyzing the lyrics and I'm like Shocked
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

I really laughed at that article where he said he sat down to write a happy song and then his subconscious got in the way. I just have this vision of him starting out, ‘taking the missus to a movie, that’s a great topic for a happy song’. Then he gets to ‘put me in the cold ground’ and there’s an ‘oh crap’ kind of moment...it really tickled me.

I know what you mean about finding it uncomfortable, it definitely makes it feel more like he’s talking about a real relationship rather than a hypothetical one. But I think if my husband was going to use a girl’s name in a song about somebody he clearly loves, i’d probably rather it was mine!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 11:12 pm

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
I really laughed at that article where he said he sat down to write a happy song and then his subconscious got in the way. I just have this vision of him starting out, ‘taking the missus to a movie, that’s a great topic for a happy song’.  Then he gets to ‘put me in the cold ground’ and there’s an ‘oh crap’ kind of moment...it really tickled me.

I know what you mean about finding it uncomfortable, it definitely makes it feel more like he’s talking about a real relationship rather than a hypothetical one. But I think if my husband was going to use a girl’s name in a song about somebody he clearly loves, i’d probably rather it was mine!

Haha yeah I had the same reaction to what he said about writing it. Quite an amusing thought.

Haha true, but there's also names that like serve as generic names at this point (ie Maria) or just not using a name.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 am

I wanna say first that I'm very much enjoying this new song. BUT am I the only one who sort of feels like the lyrics came out of a "Brian Fallon lyric generator"? We all know he repeats/references his own lyrics and, for the most part, I've always found that endearing. But, it felt like a bit too much here. This song would go from like an 8 to a 10 for me if he had picked up a thesaurus. But still, ya know, an 8 out of 10 is pretty good.

I'm also a little uncomfortable with the fact that he used his wife's actual name. He can of course do what he wants. Just pulls me out of it a little because then it's like "okay this song is about two real people whose existence I know of" vs "this song is about an anonymous couple, therefore they can be any couple, therefore you can incorporate the song into your life. There's also been a few shows in the past where she was right in my eye line and I can just picture that happening again while he's playing this song and it feeling awkward to sing along Shocked  

But, if I just listen and don't really pay too close attention, it's a fun song and I'm enjoying his excitement that it's out.

We can at least hope that he's retired the word "sympathy."
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 11:50 am

Shelby you're so right! I feel like I'm invading his privacy just listening to the song. Whatever happened to the private guy who didn't want anyone to know about his life... Especially after hearing If Your Prayers Don't Get To Heaven now!!
About the lyrics I thought something similar, as someone else said somewhere here already, it's just an upbeat version of Underneath The Ground for me. Like there's no evolution lyrics-wise anywhere. I do like the melodies he's writing, so that evens things up a bit. Like, I love what he's releasing so far, but I'm hoping this is just the safe bet to lure us in with "the familiar songs" and then blow our minds with the rest.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 am

Yeah...I'm not too hyped about this. The mastering is kinda dry, the song fairly bland and like others have pointed out, it's like his lyrics are a parody at this point.

It really surprises me that it sounds sooo much like his debut album, given his propensity for changing his direction with every new album he works on.

I don't know. I guess it just bores me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!   Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forget Me Not - First single from Brian's new album OUT NOW!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next