DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reverb.com video interview with Brian

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Reverb.com video interview with Brian Empty
PostSubject: Reverb.com video interview with Brian   Reverb.com video interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 5:30 am

I really really like that one! Not just because I love Smoke Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Reverb.com video interview with Brian   Reverb.com video interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 6:54 am

That was really fascinating. It seems to be an ongoing theme that he likes to not give too much away so that each listener can have their own interpretation of the song. It's why I'm always surprised when people suggest he writes like Springsteen; not that there isn't some influence there, but Springsteen is very much a storyteller, at least most of the time. The settings, characters and stories are usually very clear, and what makes them so beautiful is that you can completely understand and empathise with the story even if you have no relevant experience. It's not about inhabiting the story yourself, but about getting a feel for the characters and their situation.

Whereas Brian's songs are a lot more obtuse, and you kind of have to work to figure out what they mean. This inevitably leads to you bringing in your own experiences, and then they end up meaning more to you because you feel closer to them. It's more like writing poetry than short stories I guess.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Reverb.com video interview with Brian   Reverb.com video interview with Brian Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 11:13 am

I love this! Such a great interview. I love how he is opening himself up again to actually talk about what's important to him when he writes and all. It gives such great context to understand his music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reverb.com video interview with Brian   Reverb.com video interview with Brian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reverb.com video interview with Brian
Page 1 of 1