DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interview with Brian and Ian

Go down 
+7
TGAFAN25
Debonair
JukeboxJuliet
theBasemen
Harbortown
El Jefe
Holland
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

Interview with Brian and Ian Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I don't think this has been posted yet, i aint seen it anyway.

http://vimeo.com/29094253
Back to top Go down
El Jefe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Man, they look miserable at the beginning
Back to top Go down
http://www.eljefedesign.com
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:15 pm

El Jefe wrote:
Man, they look miserable at the beginning
I would be too if I were Brian.

Another god damn Springsteen question? Give the guy a break, it's not even a Gaslight Anthem interview, and even then it would be tiresome and outdated.
Back to top Go down
theBasemen
A Contender
A Contender
theBasemen

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like to hear Brian talk, but don't you want to hear Ian in interviews more. He's such a nice guy and smart as well... So instead of boring Brian with Springsteen questions, ask Ian about anything! We don't know much about him yet, do we?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Naked-Sweat-Drips/259797094
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 pm

theBasemen wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like to hear Brian talk, but don't you want to hear Ian in interviews more. He's such a nice guy and smart as well... So instead of boring Brian with Springsteen questions, ask Ian about anything! We don't know much about him yet, do we?
I definitely want to hear more Ian.

I try not to fall under the typical girly thing of being charmed by English accents but in this case it's impossible.
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed watching.
As for Ian - I think he needs to have a solo interview to get anything out of him. Wink
Brian seems really chatty and in any interview, he tends to do most of the talking, whether the questions are directed specifically at him, or just in general. I think it's just how he is - think about how chatty he gets between songs at live shows. haha!

Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Ian just doesn't like to talk much, even at the NYC show my brother and i got the crowd to cheer for him to speak, and he said, "I got nothing" which was funny on its own but still

And the topic I created awhile back "where's Ian" about just this Ian interviews you can find a podcast link, with ian, its ibelieve the mondo podcast. And also a written interview with ian

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t3416-where-s-ian
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:48 pm

I found the interviewer to be incredibly obnoxious...

The whole point of interviewing a band is to hear their answers, not try to finish their sentences or put words in their mouths...
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 pm

u know it may be supbar when he opens up with a springsteen question
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:16 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
I found the interviewer to be incredibly obnoxious...

The whole point of interviewing a band is to hear their answers, not try to finish their sentences or put words in their mouths...

Haha I agree. He seemed like a bit of a bro dude.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 am

Did the interviewer really just tell Brian to not be an ass? I know he's trying to be funny and joke around with Brian but come on, you have a chance to interview what I at least think is an extremely underrated and extremely talented artist and you're going to waste a minute of it with who Brian knows. If you're interviewing about the Gaslight Anthem then Bruce is fair game since Brian openly admits about the influence Bruce has had on him, but at least with the Horrible Crowes there is no reason Bruce should be brought up at all. I watched one interview with Brian on youtube and he's talking about using a harmonica because he loves the harmonica in Neil Young's Heart of Gold, but in a sarcastic way says that if he used a harmonica people will say he's using it because of Bruce and you can tell he's annoyed by the comparison at times. I'm guessing that's why he looks a little annoyed at the start but good to see he warmed up by the end.

Other than that complaint, decent interview. Glad that he addressed drawing a line that separates TGA and HC projects from each other on stage and the joke about the name Elsie. For a side project that is pretty successful, instead of asking about future gaslight projects why not ask about future HC projects. I'm hoping this isn't a one and done thing and there will be at some point another HC record.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Quote :
interviewing about the Gaslight Anthem then Bruce is fair game since Brian openly admits about the influence Bruce has had on him

No, a few years ago maybe, but now days, no just don't bring up Bruce in an interview, there are hundreds of interview out there already with Brian explaining the influences Bruce gave, and how it felt being on stage with him. There's no need anymore to ask Brian about Bruce because all the information is already out there. I remember seeing an interview with Brian a couple years ago with Brian and Alex R, where the interviewer asked a question about Bruce, and their faces just "went not this again".

Don't quote me on this but I believe Brian has even said enough with the Bruce questions already, because its all been said( in more or less words)
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :
interviewing about the Gaslight Anthem then Bruce is fair game since Brian openly admits about the influence Bruce has had on him

No, a few years ago maybe, but now days, no just don't bring up Bruce in an interview, there are hundreds of interview out there already with Brian explaining the influences Bruce gave, and how it felt being on stage with him. There's no need anymore to ask Brian about Bruce because all the information is already out there. I remember seeing an interview with Brian a couple years ago with Brian and Alex R, where the interviewer asked a question about Bruce, and their faces just "went not this again".

Don't quote me on this but I believe Brian has even said enough with the Bruce questions already, because its all been said( in more or less words)
+1

and i think i know the interview you're refering to. was it when the interviewer said that some ppl were calling them "the burce springsteen band", or words to that effect?
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Debonair wrote:
Quote :

This was from a couple weeks ago...

http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/people/happy-with-the-bruce-thing.html

Would you like to get away from the Springsteen references?

No, I wouldn’t try to get away from that. That’s my M.O., the Bruce thing. Why wouldn’t I like it? I’m from New Jersey, the Shore and Asbury Park and all that goes with that. I wouldn’t want to mess around with that. I like New Jersey. There are nice people here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know too much about the band outside of Brian, but I do get the feeling from the other members that TGA being compared to Bruce isn't what they're going for and they do get annoyed by the comparisons. Bruce is probably a little too "soft" for their punk rock image but without a doubt they probably have tons of respect for him as an artist and the music he's made for 40 years, in the end it's the influence on Brian that comes out in some of their songs.

I'd agree that it is definitely brought up too much, you'd think he was Bruce's kid with the comparisons he gets. It's unfortunate since his other musical influences are ignored because of the love affair people have once they find out he's from the same area as Bruce. I think part of the problem is Brian over-played the Springsteen influence initially since it gave them some attention, I'm a person who found TGA through Bruce and I think it's a pretty exaggerated comparison at times. You can hear it some songs on the 59 sound but when people compare albums, born to run to the 59 sound and american slang to darkness on the edge of town, it's getting a bit overblown.

My point was simply if you're going to interview him about The Horrible Crowes that Springsteen shouldn't be brought up since his influence is not present on the album. I think we'd all agree there. When talking about Bruce's early works you have to mention Dylan as the influence and at least for the 59 sound you have to mention Bruce.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Has that idiot ever interviewed anyone before? It was so maddening when he wouldn't even let Brian and Ian answer the questions without interrupting them! I loved when Brian was teasing him in the beginning though about having the President's phone number. He's so funny! Laughing

That was pretty cool how Brian talked about Stevie Wonder's songwriting methods and how he himself has to be inspired by someone else's music when writing songs. It's neat to get inside the heads of such awesome songwriters. Love that he mentioned "Jet" too - my favorite Wings song! Cool
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 pm

I agree that he doesn't want to ignore the references, but I think he's also tired of them a bit, because like you said, he's not all about Bruce, and there's much more to Brian then Bruce. I mean who wouldn't want to be compared to a rock legend. I'm really bad at wording stuff but what I guess what I was trying to say is, if you compare Brian to Bruce, yes-he'll thank you, but hell also ask you to now come learn more about him.

Wasn't American slang, if I remember correctly, they hoped it would be a way for them to stop being compared a bit, and establish their sound. Not because they hated to be compared to these other bands(their honored too) but that they don't want to live in the shadows forever
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Quote :
and i think i know the interview you're refering to. was it when the interviewer said that some ppl were calling them "the burce springsteen band", or words to that effect?

Maybe? I'm at school, so if I remember when I get home later tonight, ill try to find it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Brian and Ian   Interview with Brian and Ian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interview with Brian and Ian
Page 1 of 1