DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions

Go down 
+46
Palmer89
vamike
BKO5950505
jc198
mingus
MKULTRA
bt211
Stejza
NeverTrustAJunkie
BereasaTGA
Rose1991
CapedAvenger
Rock bus
Jack
Keele
ivienco
miked331
Jerseyrain
stephendgaf
howkflakegirl1
Christophe
zombietime
The_River
jonnyz83
pleasepassthesoup
Attax
kjakm
nebraska
Jaws
ProMayhem
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Vibes
moosicmaniac
whiskeytab
Ambulance_Called
cowgirlwiththeblues
pepperedham
HorribleCrowe
StateOfMind
Prisoner
eagles1139
riversedge
Anya_TGA
HolyBreakOfDay
mja271
steady now steady now
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:53 am

Among Other Foolish Things is such a fun song. Can't help but make me smile when the "love, love, love, love..." part kicks in. As somebody above mentions Red Lights is also wonderful. Definitely my favorite take of the MATZ songs on here. Like most great work by Brian this brand new record somehow feels very familiar, and I mean that in a great way.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am

The whole ending part of Rosemary with the background vocals and the line "My name is Rosemary and you'd be lucky to meet me" feels so huge, it's also probably the most Gaslight-y part of the whole record.

The background vocals on this are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Ambulance_Called
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am

Dear god. Can someone DM it to me?

[Admin: This request has resulted in that member being banned!!
Please see: https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t6256-in-case-it-does-leak-do-not-post-leaks-of-painkillers]
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 am

For anybody downloading on the internet, making music cost a ton of money, and at the end of the month, musicians like to eat something too.
Consider buying music after you downloading something that you like.

Karma is a bitch.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:20 am

HorribleCrowe wrote:
For anybody downloading on the internet, making music cost a ton of money, and at the end of the month, musicians like to eat something too.
Consider buying music after you downloading something that you like.

Karma is a bitch.  

Also buying records is awesome so always support the artist!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:44 am

The production is SO much better on the physical files of the album as opposed to the stream so I'm v. happy about that.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 12:01 pm

God what a fucking album. The production on the vocals is so interesting, especially on Rosemary and Mojo Hand. Among Other Foolish Things is such a fun driving song. Lyrics are deceivingly complex and intricate.

Back to top Go down
whiskeytab
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm

this album was so worth the wait... trying to get used to Long Drives though... its great, but the demo holds a special place for me.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 12:24 pm

riversedge wrote:
The production is SO much better on the physical files of the album as opposed to the stream so I'm v. happy about that.

that's what I thought too.
Seems like they did that on purpose (on youtube)
Back to top Go down
whiskeytab
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 12:27 pm

also I don't really get the hate Mojo Hand is receiving in all those reviews. i mean its not the best song on the album, but its catchy enough and it doesn't really sound out of place.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 12:32 pm

mojo hand is the odd song that on every record. a wake-up call for a magnificent ending to the album.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Mojo Hand is great. There's always a place for those different kind of songs in my book.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 1:07 pm

mja271 wrote:
Mojo Hand is great. There's always a place for those different kind of songs in my book.

Very true. Great fun that song.

By the way, Mojo Hand make effects pedals ...

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Mojohand-ironbell-400_1

and don't forget

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaYCOzGfCZ9PpacEIbanc0RavIhrAiQ1jZgQSYu6cTHlcTLXKq
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 1:29 pm

First impression is that it's incredible. I really can't get into Mojo Pin, but hoping that will grow on me.

Also can't get over the changes in Long Drives. The MATZ version was perfect. One of my favorite songs Brian has ever done. There's nothing wrong with this one, but I just feel like it doesn't flow as well. Maybe Brian will let me steal and record the old one? Very Happy

That said, it's my ONLY critique. The rest is amazing.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:11 pm

moosicmaniac wrote:
Also can't get over the changes in Long Drives.  The MATZ version was perfect.  One of my favorite songs Brian has ever done.  There's nothing wrong with this one, but I just feel like it doesn't flow as well.  Maybe Brian will let me steal and record the old one?  Very Happy

That said, it's my ONLY critique.  The rest is amazing.

This is my one negative as well. I know we'll always have the original version but it's so damn good and I would've loved for that arrangement to be recorded at this production quality. To me Low Love >> this version of Long Drives, but oh well, it's just one song. The record otherwise is great.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:30 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
mja271 wrote:

Very true. Great fun that song.

By the way, Mojo Hand make effects pedals ...

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Mojohand-ironbell-400_1

and don't forget

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaYCOzGfCZ9PpacEIbanc0RavIhrAiQ1jZgQSYu6cTHlcTLXKq

and this classic

'I'm going down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand'
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Does Painkillers live anywhere online? Trying to find it so I can get that first listen in. pirat

[Admin: This request has resulted in that member being banned!! He even used a 'pirate' smiley!
Please see: https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t6256-in-case-it-does-leak-do-not-post-leaks-of-painkillers]
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
whiskeytab
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 2:48 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
Album is great so far I am 4 songs in.

Lyric question fill in the blank:
in Among Other Foolish Things

"I'm taking a dive on a smoky set of lies
_________________, and there was this one time
when I painted a masterpiece"
(haha it's really bugging me)

to me it sounds like

"I'm takin a dive on a smoky set of eyes
I've been so deceived and i've been the one lyin'
and there was this one time i painted a masterpiece"
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm

moosicmaniac wrote:
First impression is that it's incredible.  I really can't get into Mojo Pin, but hoping that will grow on me.

Also can't get over the changes in Long Drives.  The MATZ version was perfect.  One of my favorite songs Brian has ever done.  There's nothing wrong with this one, but I just feel like it doesn't flow as well.  Maybe Brian will let me steal and record the old one?  Very Happy

That said, it's my ONLY critique.  The rest is amazing.

I prefer both "Red Lights" and "Long Drives" as originally done by MATZ, and also the stripped down versions of "Steve McQueen" and "Honey Magnolia" done at folk festivals, but oh well.  "Low Love" didn't make the album either, the world's an imperfect place, lol.  Still a very good album.
Back to top Go down
ProMayhem
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ProMayhem

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm in love with this album! Rosemary and open all night are my stand outs! Really enjoyed mojo hand! Can see this album getting repeated a lot
Back to top Go down
StateOfMind
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: temp   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 10:44 pm

The new long drives is so much better melodically, and lyrically I think. I know it's the opposite of what you're all saying, but I think the original didn't flow too well, at least the first verse. Among other foolish things and mojo hand are the two main standout tracks to me. I like rosemary and up all night but it will take a few more listens until I love them I think. I love how raw the whole album sounds. Smile
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 6:51 am

I am finally able to sit here listening to Painkillers through my proper hifi system, a Yamaha 2 x 85 watts (8Ω) amplifier and Sony 100 watts (8Ω) speakers.

Wow! That album sure sounds so meganourmously amazing. What a difference from when I first heard it through fairly good external PC speakers. And I've not even cranked it up halfway.

I close my eyes and it's Brian Fallon & The Crowes rocking my living room ... (feeling the vibrations).
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 7:43 am

Still waiting for tomorrow, but just wanted to say that 'meganourmously amazing' might be the best descriptive term I've ever heard, and I will definitely be stealing it! 😉
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 8:59 am

This is fantastic. Just blown away right now. I'll have more detailed thoughts later, but all I can say is I was smiling the entire time. The second half of this album is incredible.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:17 pm

I don't understand why people don't like this album version of Long Drives. It fits much more into the identity of the whole record than the MATZ version does. It's more optimistic, nostalgic and hopeful and the lyrics and instrumentation are more refined. As much as I still like the demo version, it was a pretty downbeat and bleak sounding track.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Painkillers' - first listen impressions   'Painkillers' - first listen impressions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Painkillers' - first listen impressions
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next