DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December

Go down 
+29
miked331
Roe
Jerseyrain
HorribleCrowe
enola
TGAFAN25
SirBrad
bt211
brunswick18
JimmyB
briannfantana
Anya_TGA
bootime
cowgirlwiththeblues
pleasepassthesoup
labluedahlia
Vibes
big blue
The Last Jukebox Romeo
flannel
The_River
Prisoner
Rizz
eagles1139
Shrewsbury_Stars
kjakm
jonnyz83
Asmith1912
steady now steady now
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 4:44 pm

pleasepassthesoup wrote:
Asmith1912 wrote:
Doesn't it seem like January 19th is a more correct date?  That is the date of the album release show at Webster Hall, right?

His twitter bio says "Debut Album Painkillers due March 2016!"

Also, does anybody know if it's accurate saying that there's a show in Alexandria? That would be killer.

in the radio interview he also said March..

That's way too long Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 4:49 pm

This song is so New Jersey it hurts. Haha. I'm fired up to go back to the Garden State for the holidays now.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Loving that timeless, classic rock vibe. He wasn't kidding about the Tom Petty influence! And Butch Walker is all over this, in the best possible way.

Makes me think how great those other songs that we've only heard stripped down versions of to date are going to sound given this treatment. March is far too long to wait!
Back to top Go down
bootime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Wonder if the plan is to still play the album during those earlier dates...
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Perfect companion to my 'The River' 35th anniversary edition that came my way this week.

Love it. And the man does it every time, coming up with lines like "I don't want to survive, I want a wonderful life". A whole novel in one line.

Go Brian!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 6:29 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Perfect companion to my 'The River' 35th anniversary edition that came my way this week.

Love it. And the man does it every time, coming up with lines like "I don't want to survive, I want a wonderful life". A whole novel in one line.

Go Brian!

My point. Exactly. Both things.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 7:09 pm

steady now steady now wrote:

Go Brian!

Exactly!
really like the song.... it is so amazing, I can't wait for the solo record, and it will take so looooonnng... March is way tooo far away!
Back to top Go down
briannfantana
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 8:51 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by this song!  I thought it would sound somewhat like Gaslight but it really doesn't, aside from Brian's voice which sounds awesome.  Love the sound of the recording in general.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 9:09 pm

I really hear the Springsteen/Tom Petty influence here. And I love the song.
Back to top Go down
brunswick18
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
brunswick18

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Great song! It only took one listen to fall in love with.

It's really cool how each of Brian's side projects have their own sound (even though this is our only true preview of Painkillers), I believe it's a reflection of how talented Brian is as a musician and songwriter
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 pm

I absolutely fell in love with this song at first listen as well!!!

(and yes, I'd love these additional dates a lot)
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 12:08 am

hate the "oh oh oh's" but decent track. I really hope he can get to the point where he or all the fans don't immediately compare it to all the influences. He's seriously the only artist/band that I'm a fan of that can't seem shake the comparisons. Would be nice to say "that that sounds like a Brian Fallon record" and that be it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 1:26 am

SirBrad wrote:
hate the "oh oh oh's" but decent track.  I really hope he can get to the point where he or all the fans don't immediately compare it to all the influences.  He's seriously the only artist/band that I'm a fan of that can't seem shake the comparisons.  Would be nice to say "that that sounds like a Brian Fallon record" and that be it.

I think the problem is that he has yet to do something (other than Elsie) that truly sounded like his own voice or sound. I was immediately turned off to the single because I think it sounded fairly generic/formulaic.... I like that the lyrics seem fresh, but the comparisions are certainly warranted to his heroes...

All in all, not super excited about the track....
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 2:16 am

I love that he's doing his own thing on this record instead of pandering to people, or trying to surprise them (as seemed to be the case with GH). Sure, his thing has that Springsteen/Petty vibe to it, but the songwriting is fresh and as great as ever, and it's really not something we've heard him do before, so it's all going to sound new and exciting, whilst also feeling like an old friend. I can't wait to hear the rest of it; if this single is anything to go by, it's going to be right up there with his best work.

Everyone has influences, and acknowledging them instead of trying to hide them can only be a good thing IMHO. Of course I may have a different view of I didn't think those influences were awesome!
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 3:26 am

It took me a bit to get into the song but that might be because I'm not a Springsteen fan. But I absolutely adore the line "I don't wanna survive, I want a wonderful life" which caught my attention at the very first listen. Brilliant and so strong. I really do love his abilty to write such powerful, amazing, yet simple lyrics

Last edited by enola on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 5:10 am

SirBrad wrote:
hate the "oh oh oh's" but decent track.  I really hope he can get to the point where he or all the fans don't immediately compare it to all the influences.  He's seriously the only artist/band that I'm a fan of that can't seem shake the comparisons.  Would be nice to say "that that sounds like a Brian Fallon record" and that be it.

1) I struggled with the "oh oh" to begin with, but now it works.

2) Everybody is always influenced by others. There is nothing wrong with hearing the influences. I once told Brian that if I wanted to listen to Dylan or Springsteen, then that's what I'd do. But I want to listen to Fallon, and that's why I put him on. He does have his own voice and his own sound.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 am

This is as springsteen as springsteen could ever get. AND I DONT MIND AT ALL.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 6:31 am

- That said, this song is solid as a rock. Am I the only one that feels like this song is recorded in a pretty raw manner? Could have been much more polished, which would make it sound like a shit song. this rules. life rules.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 8:18 am

HorribleCrowe wrote:
- That said, this song is solid as a rock. Am I the only one that feels like this song is recorded in a pretty raw manner? Could have been much more polished, which would make it sound like a shit song. this rules. life rules.

I think that too. The vocals are really raw. Kinda remind me of the sink or swim era in a way.
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 10:24 am

That's what I love about Butch Walker...all the sounds are great, everything is crystal clear but there's a liveness and looseness that gives everything a great energy. Always sounds kind of like a bunch of people playing in a room, and having a great time doing it.
Back to top Go down
brunswick18
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
brunswick18

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 10:45 am

Is it just me or is this sound more like Tom Petty backed by the E-Street Band?
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 10:46 am

Can totally hear the E Street Band in this intro. Sorry to make yet another Bruce comparison but it's all good. Really pleased about how Brian hasn't felt afraid to use his influences as inspiration as much on this album. This song will Rock live. Agreed!
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 12:54 pm

By the way, you can listen to the interview with Brian here:

http://m.radio1045.com/onair/off-the-air-wendy-rollins-36114/world-premiere-brian-fallon-a-wonderful-14192308/
Back to top Go down
Roe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 2:18 pm

I'd like to exchange some money for the song, anyone have an idea of when the single will be released?
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 2:36 pm

It's on I tunes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December   'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'A Wonderful Life' info (first single off 'Painkillers') preview 10 December
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next