DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths

Go down 
+24
PPQ
chickenman
Slatter8093
TLRRescue
TheContender
bringiton_ty
enola
Anya_TGA
biggs
cdala
azlisa
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
GlennR
jensomniac
colmillionaire
steady now steady now
matkins
NeverTrustAJunkie
cmigs
MacysDayMar
mja271
StitchesOnTheRadio
TGAFAN25
borrowedcar
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 8:59 pm

anyone else been noticing the shows are getting shorter and shorter. i haven't seen them yet (atlanta can't come soon enough) but do they seem burnt out. first show had like 24-25 songs it seems and now they are at 20ish. just figured i'd throw it out there if someone had a valid explanation
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 11:20 pm

I think the best explanation is that as a tour wears on, bands become fatigued and you need to make sure Brian's voice gets enough rest.

Vocals get tired, TGA plays just about every night...

Shortening the set as the tour goes means they can perform the songs at as high a quality as possible without threatening Brian's voice in the long term...

Though it sucks for fans who see them later in the tour, they're still spending about the same amount of time on stage, just taking a littlie more time between songs....
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 12:29 am

that's what i figured but then you have to wonder why the last show was so short after a weeklong break. maybe they're still trying to figure out a formula
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 3:16 am

Oakland (the first show after the weeklong break) was so short because Brian has a chest infection. I imagine the next few shows (at least) will be on the short side as well since that kind of thing doesn't clear up over night, especially when he doesn't really get to take time off to get better quicker.

If setlist fm is accurate (and it appears to be from what I recall) they've been playing 22-24 song sets so far this tour (exception being Philly, when Benny had to miss the show). Which isn't out of the ordinary. I think they got down to like 19-20 by the end of the Handwritten tour, so I have my fingers crossed that this is them pacing themselves as they slowly increase their set length!

Hope that clears things up!
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 1:21 pm

I do find it disappointing that the sets have become a bit shorter in recent years. There were often shows consistently in the 25-27 song range during the tours around American Slang. A little frustrating to see shorter shows when they have more material to pull from, but on the plus side, they've sounded great so far this tour
Back to top Go down
MacysDayMar
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MacysDayMar

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 1:43 pm

I have noticed that and it was a bit of a bummer (my show did have a shorter set than previous ones), but I think this is kind of a rough tour schedule. For example, they played five straight days from Sept. 16-20. I actually expected a hell of a lot more burnout from them at my Detroit show on the 20th because of this. Given that, it doesn't surprise me that Brian got sick (I actually picked up a cold at the show/the night of, too).

And having two "openers," one playing almost a full set, impacts things. A lot of venues have a noise curfew and you can only start a show so early before it becomes unrealistic for a lot of people to make it (especially on a weekday).
Back to top Go down
http://fairwayfrank.tumblr.com/
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Yeah, they were playing very long sets at the beginning of the Handwritten tour (the Terminal 5 shows were all just under two hours), and then really chopped it down as the tour went along - by the end they were playing 90 minutes flat most nights.

It's possible they are trying to pace themselves this time in order to more consistently play 1:40-1:45.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 3:33 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Oakland (the first show after the weeklong break) was so short because Brian has a chest infection. I imagine the next few shows (at least) will be on the short side as well since that kind of thing doesn't clear up over night, especially when he doesn't really get to take time off to get better quicker.

If setlist fm is accurate (and it appears to be from what I recall) they've been playing 22-24 song sets so far this tour (exception being Philly, when Benny had to miss the show). Which isn't out of the ordinary. I think they got down to like 19-20 by the end of the Handwritten tour, so I have my fingers crossed that this is them pacing themselves as they slowly increase their set length!

Hope that clears things up!

gotcha. yea i wasn't really looking for anything super specific but just recallings of prior shows. interesting about the chest infection, probably why the pre-show was cancelled the other day. last night they didn't even do "Great Expectations" which is interesting. i caught them do about 20 songs on the 59 sound tour in baltimore which is kind of standard.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm

That's exactly why the pre-show was cancelled. And I'm sure that had to do with the shorter set Saturday.

https://twitter.com/gaslightanthem/status/516352963204616192

I'm failing to see any kind of pattern of shows being shorter or evidence of burnout. There could be other factors with sets being 2 or 3 songs longer/shorter. Either time constraints, curfews or feeling like doing an extra few because the crowd was exceptional.
Back to top Go down
matkins
A Contender
A Contender
matkins

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 pm

I was at the Saturday show in Oakland and I saw Brian giving the "cut" motion and I think that's why they didn't play Blue Dahlia even though it was on the setlist. They probably kept LA to what his voice could handle. He sounded good obviously, but he really thanked the crowd for singing extra loud.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 4:46 am

MacysDayMar wrote:
And having two "openers," one playing almost a full set, impacts things. A lot of venues have a noise curfew and you can only start a show so early before it becomes unrealistic for a lot of people to make it (especially on a weekday).

At this stage in their career, do TGA still need two openers? Do people like seeing two openers?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm

My main reason for checking out TGA now is for the openers. They always bring incredible support on the road. The more openers the better, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Personally, my perspective is always I'd rather see more of the headliner and less in the way of openers no matter who they are. Id love for gaslight to have one opener that only plays for a half hour, then they play for two. that's my ideal show schedule even if its unlikely. Otherwise I'll get bored if the opener is bad or tired out if they're good!

But they've had such great openers this tour especially so I really can't complain!

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 10:10 am

They have enough material and are "big enough" now that 1 opener would be great.
Back to top Go down
jensomniac
A Contender
A Contender
jensomniac

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 12:01 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Personally, my perspective is always I'd rather see more of the headliner and less in the way of openers no matter who they are. Id love for gaslight to have one opener that only plays for a half hour, then they play for two. that's my ideal show schedule even if its unlikely.

Ditto.
Back to top Go down
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm

I know this is one of these topics that I tend to mention frequently but I still feel almost compelled to point out that I think a 90 or 100 minute show is simply inadequate for a band of their caliber.  That the shows are getting shorter is distressing.

I had high expectations for this tour, especially with the revelations in that interview that Brian had been working out and seeing a personal trainer in an attempt to make sure he was in the best possible shape for the tour.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 pm

GlennR wrote:
I know this is one of these topics that I tend to mention frequently but I still feel almost compelled to point out that I think a 90 or 100 minute show is simply inadequate for a band of their caliber.  That the shows are getting shorter is distressing.

I had high expectations for this tour, especially with the revelations in that interview that Brian had been working out and seeing a personal trainer in an attempt to make sure he was in the best possible shape for the tour.

I agree completely. That being said, the personal trainer thing might be to help out with the stress of so many shows in such a short period of time, rather than longer shows.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 am

Anthony tossed me a crumpled setlist from Tempe, AZ on the 1st. I noticed a girl next to me outside had one too, but hers was printed out. I joked to my boyfriend that mine is handwritten. heh heh. Anyway the show was wonderful. I wish I was in the front row instead of on the side second row. Everyone in front of me was motionless the entire show on the barricade. I could not believe it. I wanted to slap them all silly and tell them to move the hell out of the way so the cool short fans like myself could get some front love, haha. But Brian seemed to love the crowd since he tweeted after the show, "Arizona, you were wonderful tonight." We waited outside to meet them, but no such luck. I was bummed that I'm still waiting four years later to try and meet them. Oh well. I took a handful of videos. Also, Laura was watching them from the side almost the whole time. It was awesome

Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths 10538310

and this is mine Smile Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths 10341710

Last edited by azlisa on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added a pic)
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 2:56 pm

colmillionaire wrote:
My main reason for checking out TGA now is for the openers. They always bring incredible support on the road. The more openers the better, IMO.

Agreed, I discover so many good bands this way!
Back to top Go down
biggs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
biggs

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 4:15 am

azlisa wrote:
Anthony tossed me a crumpled setlist from Tempe, AZ on the 1st. I noticed a girl next to me outside had one too, but hers was printed out. I joked to my boyfriend that mine is handwritten. heh heh. Anyway the show was wonderful. I wish I was in the front row instead of on the side second row. Everyone in front of me was motionless the entire show on the barricade. I could not believe it. I wanted to slap them all silly and tell them to move the hell out of the way so the cool short fans like myself could get some front love, haha. But Brian seemed to love the crowd since he tweeted after the show, "Arizona, you were wonderful tonight." We waited outside to meet them, but no such luck. I was bummed that I'm still waiting four years later to try and meet them. Oh well. I took a handful of videos. Also, Laura was watching them from the side almost the whole time. It was awesome

Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths 10538310

and this is mine Smile Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths 10341710
That is a short setlist imho and as has been mentioned surely with the amount of material available you would expect a few more songs ,great pics by the way cheers
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:07 am

21 songs is a short set to you guys? One of my favorite band only does about 16 or 17 for their headline shows.

Setlist.Fm says Gaslight did 22 songs tonight and last night, 24 in Dallas... I don't get where this thread is trying to go.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 10:31 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
21 songs is a short set to you guys? One of my favorite band only does about 16 or 17 for their headline shows.

Setlist.Fm says Gaslight did 22 songs tonight and last night, 24 in Dallas... I don't get where this thread is trying to go.

When they're up near 24 that's better, but when you look at their history, 21 tends to be on the short side. There were a number shows on the American Slang tour (when they had significantly less music to pull from), that had 26-28 songs. Stretches of the Handwritten tour consistently had 25+ at times too. I think the complaint is justified in the sense that they've settled more in the 20-22 range despite having more music to pull from.
Back to top Go down
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:48 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
21 songs is a short set to you guys?

Yes, exactly.

They have five full length albums now, plus an EP, plus cover songs, plus B-Sides etc.

They should be playing longer shows.  This is how they are going to make and keep fans.  A better and longer live show is essential to the long-term success of this band.

Quote :
One of my favorite band only does about 16 or 17 for their headline shows.

I think that's irrelevant to what Gaslight does.  (But that band should also probably be playing longer shows too!)
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 6:31 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

there are a lot of bands which play less than 20 songs...so I am happy with 21 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths   Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Get Hurt Tour Show Lengths
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next