DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Least Favorite TGA Song

Go down 
+39
clashcityrocker
mercyandaminute
DaveSavedTheDay
JerseyDevil
Jack
Turn the Casanova On
RobertODonnell
simo
WoodyJoe
Daire
lynchyeatspizza
SouthJerseyTGA
CluckyB
MCStevepants
bradcooke
colmillionaire
kieran
steph
TGAFAN25
Reinvent good times
Stevearm
Norb
koolmcr
Prisoner
losethetragic
Palmer89
Vibes
Shipyards
dolan
brick
e7c
Snap
Stalls_Standing
Forum Owner
hyperballad
Jjaeger240
stephendgaf
Jukebox Romeo
xstevenbx
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:49 am

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?! RITM is a quality song! Great lyrics and awesome tune.

JohnnyC wrote:
Easy. Red in the Morning. Sounds forced, especially after the hyper melodicism of The '59 Sound. And count me as one who loves Cowgirls.

What do ya mean by that?? It came before T59S.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 am

The best part of Red In the Morning is easily the "HA!!!"
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 am

actually I was not a fan of Red In The Morning either... until I got into vinyl. let me explain... The reason I did not like RITM was because it followed 1930 and The Navesink Banks. 1930 is an uber-emotional song and Navesink is such a quiet nice sound so RITM just didn't fit in, it is loud and obnoxious. I really could not figure out why anyone would put those songs together!

BUT on vinyl, they are not together. RITM is the first song of side 2. and going with the theme of SOS, it is safe to say it really is the beginning of ACT 2. Having to take the time to get up and flip the record really separates it from 1930 and Navesink, and on its own RITM is a good song.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Daire wrote:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?! RITM is a quality song! Great lyrics and awesome tune.

JohnnyC wrote:
Easy. Red in the Morning. Sounds forced, especially after the hyper melodicism of The '59 Sound. And count me as one who loves Cowgirls.

What do ya mean by that?? It came before T59S.

I mean it sounds even worse when listening to it since The '59 Sound came out. I'm sorry, but I can't say RITM is an "awesome tune". It's fairly tuneless, in actuality.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm

I like RITM. Probably 7th best on SOS, but it's not junk that some people think.
Back to top Go down
WoodyJoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WoodyJoe

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Man, I can't really understand the love for Red In The Morning, or The Backseat.
I really don't get it.
It's just not at all Gaslight at even remotely their best.
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Man, I don't love Backseat or anything, but I don't think it's horrible at all lol. I'm so surprised by the amount of people that do
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
mercyandaminute
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 pm

call me naive, but what is so bad about the backseat??
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Reinvent good times wrote:
I like RITM. Probably 7th best on SOS, but it's not junk that some people think.

Brian's never written a song I'd classify as "junk", but RITM stands out as the one song that really has no strong melody. It's the only song they've ever done that is, in my opinion, mediocre. Everything else ranges from good to perfect.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Actually, there is no song, i do not like, it's more like i just don't get a connection to a few songs.
those are:

the backseat
high lonesome
boomboxes & dictionaries
Back to top Go down
Turn the Casanova On
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Turn the Casanova On

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm

23 wrote:
call me naive, but what is so bad about the backseat??

I honestly don't know what all these people are talking about. The Backseat is one of my favorites on The '59 Sound, at least vocal-wise.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Reinvent good times wrote:

you know an album is good when your 7th best song is still a solid song!
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:33 pm

The backseat isn't a huge favourite of mine on the album, but live it's incredible.

Still not a big fan of Red In The Morning. I guess other than that there's a few I skip a few times but none I dislike.

Depends what mood i'm in.
Back to top Go down
WoodyJoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WoodyJoe

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:09 am

The Backseat I don't like because it sounds like Gaslight trying to be the kind of band that people always accuse them of ripping off. It sounds kind of contrived.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:14 am

I love The Backseat. Sounds to me (musically) more like U2 than it does Springsteen or whoever you're implying.
Back to top Go down
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
clashcityrocker

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:20 am

I'm not to crazy about "Meet Me By The River's Edge". By itself it's an ok song, but when i'm listening to the record, by the time it gets to that song it just seems like filler. More Springsteen and old movie references. It's almost like a parody of TGA.

I also just don't get "1930" that well.
Back to top Go down
NoSurrenderMyBobbyJean
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 am

Never been a huge fan of Film Noir, lyrics in it 'aint much compared to the rest of the '59 sound.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:21 pm

there's no song i detest nor do i understand why people hate the backseat
but RITM is so-so and drive is so-so
i love everything else
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:43 pm

to address the last 3 posts:

1. I don't get how anyone could not love 1930. Maybe a look at this thread ( https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/song-meanings-f2/1930-t7.htm ) and a listen to this version ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8lBPtpmP8&fmt=18 ) will change your opinion. Also, the bridge of River's Edge is too amazing to not adore.

2. I would argue that Film Noir's lyrics are by far the best on The '59 Sound and possibly the best ever written by Brian Fallon, with the exception of maybe 1930 or Wherefore.

3. Drive is amazing. Listen to this version and prepare to be amazed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoNXp3HiSM&fmt=18

Last edited by Jukebox Romeo on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 pm

^ that is a kick ass version
maybe its just the studio version thats so so
Back to top Go down
stayhungry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Drive? seriously? that's my favorite song next to Blue Jeans

yeah those are probably my two favorites also.

i have to say i'm not a huge fan of we came to dance. but i still like it. i actually like/love every single one of their songs. to me, that's a first haha
Back to top Go down
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
clashcityrocker

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
to address the last 3 posts:

1. I don't get how anyone could not love 1930. Maybe a look at this thread ( https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/song-meanings-f2/1930-t7.htm ) and a listen to this version ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8lBPtpmP8&fmt=18 ) will change your opinion. Also, the bridge of River's Edge is too amazing to not adore.

2. I would argue that Film Noir's lyrics are by far the best on The '59 Sound and possibly the best ever written by Brian Fallon, with the exception of maybe 1930 or Wherefore.

3. Drive is amazing. Listen to this version and prepare to be amazed: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoNXp3HiSM&fmt=18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoNXp3HiSM&fmt=18[/quote[/url]]

Ok after I read that thread and know what it's about I've changed my mind. That's so sad and beautiful. My girlfriend's grandfather has Alzheimers and it's heartbreaking.

Oh yeah, why all the hatin on The Backseat? Yeah it's musically different but it's cool because it shakes things up. Alex's bassline is so moving. The lyrics alone should win anyone over. COME ON who here hasn't ever had some fun in a backseat before Wink? Amirite?
Back to top Go down
stayhungry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

clashcityrocker wrote:
I'm not to crazy about "Meet Me By The River's Edge". By itself it's an ok song, but when i'm listening to the record, by the time it gets to that song it just seems like filler. More Springsteen and old movie references. It's almost like a parody of TGA.

I also just don't get "1930" that well.

1930 is one of those songs that talks about brian's real life experiences. it's about his grandma who had alzheimers (sp?). also, his old bend "this charming man" sang it under a different name before it was ever a gaslight song
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:42 pm

gaslight as of now is one of the few bands now-a-days that can produce an album that has songs I don't wanna skip over, some songs are better than others but there's not a single song i would remove from an album. few bands (the loved ones- build and burn, the killers- sam's town, green day- american idiot, foo fighters- ESPAG) can successfully do that with an album
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 5:10 pm

I dont have a least favorite. I mean I do, but it depends on what mood I'm in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Least Favorite TGA Song
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next