DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Least Favorite TGA Song

Go down 
+39
clashcityrocker
mercyandaminute
DaveSavedTheDay
JerseyDevil
Jack
Turn the Casanova On
RobertODonnell
simo
WoodyJoe
Daire
lynchyeatspizza
SouthJerseyTGA
CluckyB
MCStevepants
bradcooke
colmillionaire
kieran
steph
TGAFAN25
Reinvent good times
Stevearm
Norb
koolmcr
Prisoner
losethetragic
Palmer89
Vibes
Shipyards
dolan
brick
e7c
Snap
Stalls_Standing
Forum Owner
hyperballad
Jjaeger240
stephendgaf
Jukebox Romeo
xstevenbx
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Film Noir is a grower, or was for me. Never disliked it by any means, just didn't jump out straightaway...
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Film Noir was one of the standout tracks immediately for me on 59 Sound
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 6:35 pm

yeah same. the second half of each verse is so good. and the chorus is catchy as hell
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 am

koolmcr wrote:
Wow, I can't believe how many people don't like Cowgirls. That's my second favorite song off '59 Sound after Great Expectations o_o.

It has a very distinct musical style. If you look at the rest of the album, most of the other songs are upbeat with a bounce and the ones that don't (Miles Davis / Here's Looking at you) have a much more standard musical feel to them and so less likely clash with the musical tastes of someone who likes the rest of The Gaslight Anthem's work. Which is probably why is such a polarizing song -- if you like that style of music you'll naturally love the song.

Its probably my least favorite song by them, but I appreciate the fact that the album doesn't contain the same song rehashed a dozen times and so still think it adds a lot to the album.
Back to top Go down
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SouthJerseyTGA

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 am

Once Upon a Time. Don't like it. Half the song sounds awkward.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:47 am

SouthJerseyTGA wrote:
Once Upon a Time. Don't like it. Half the song sounds awkward.

That's actually not a Gaslight song, but a cover so I don't think that counts
Back to top Go down
SouthJerseyTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SouthJerseyTGA

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I know, which is why i don't like it... Again, i just think it sounds forced. doesn't fit.

But maybe thats just me.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Isn't it a bonus track? So its not really meant to be part of the album and "fit" -- its just a small incentive to try and make you use iTunes for some reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm

CluckyB wrote:
So its not really meant to be part of the album and "fit" -- its just a small incentive to try and make you use iTunes for some reason.

I agree here. It still sounds good though, it's just not in the same 'vein' as the rest of the 59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 3:31 pm

CluckyB wrote:
koolmcr wrote:
Wow, I can't believe how many people don't like Cowgirls. That's my second favorite song off '59 Sound after Great Expectations o_o.

It has a very distinct musical style. If you look at the rest of the album, most of the other songs are upbeat with a bounce and the ones that don't (Miles Davis / Here's Looking at you) have a much more standard musical feel to them and so less likely clash with the musical tastes of someone who likes the rest of The Gaslight Anthem's work. Which is probably why is such a polarizing song -- if you like that style of music you'll naturally love the song.

Its probably my least favorite song by them, but I appreciate the fact that the album doesn't contain the same song rehashed a dozen times and so still think it adds a lot to the album.

what does "standard musical style" even mean? what is meant by "that style of music"?
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 8:30 pm

I think the cover of once upon a time owns the backseat and would of been more than happy if it replaced it.
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:23 am

I wouldn't count once upon a time as a Gaslight song, it's just people's excuse for gaslights only track they dont like. Because the bands so bloody good. But I'm never going to reveal my least favourite Gaslight song, because everytime i think i dont 'love' that song it just grows on me. Nearly every song has been my favourite for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 am

I really love that Once Upon A Time Cover cause it could easily be a Gaslight Anthem song to start with. But The Backseat rules too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 6:18 pm

In my opinion the Backseat is much better than Once Upon A Time. I think the Backseat is a great way to finish off the album.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 pm

I actually really like Cowgirls at the moment. But man, I HATE that guitar bit at the start. It's soo miserable and portrays all sorts of depressing feelings (the bad kind) that I skip by the track a lot. Which is kind of a bad thing!
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Doesn't the basic beat at the start persist throughout the whole song? I donno if "depressing" is the right word, though its something like that. Its feels kinda heavy, like its just plodding along.

Also Backseats is a great way to end the album. It might not be the best song, but its well within the spirit of the album and it offsets Here's looking at you, Kid.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:14 pm

ill be the one person who really digs the guitar at the beginning of cowgirls, then!
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Cowgirls is in 3/4 time and it's kinda dragging indeed.
Somebody mentions it's kinda depressing, but that's the feel the band was aiming for I think with that bluesy riff and the title ofcourse
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 12:52 pm

I had a feeling that Cowgirls was in 3/4 time. I love the guitar at the beginning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
WoodyJoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WoodyJoe

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 am

The Backseat is just awful.
I actually supremely dislike it, it just isn't good.
Other than that none of their songs can i say i truly dislike.
Also guys Even Cowgirls Get The Blues fucking rules.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 1:49 am

I can't think of any I truly dislike. If you went simply by the track I skip the most, it'd be "The Navesink Banks" but I have nothing against the song. Just gets me down when I want to be rocking out to Sink or Swim.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 am

I've never really enjoyed Red in the Morning. Parts of it are good, but the chorus is just obnoxious and uninspired.
Back to top Go down
Turn the Casanova On
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Turn the Casanova On

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:28 am

Part of me wants to say Angry Johnny, but the second half is so good. So I guess I'm gonna have to say Red in the Morning.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Easy. Red in the Morning. Sounds forced, especially after the hyper melodicism of The '59 Sound. And count me as one who loves Cowgirls.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
JerseyDevil
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
JerseyDevil

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am

I gotta jump on the wagon and say Red in the morning as well, which sucks because the lyrics are so badass I wish they made a better song for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite TGA Song   Least Favorite TGA Song - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Least Favorite TGA Song
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next