DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Walmart Soundcheck Sessions

Go down 
+19
Jerseyrain
njguy99
AndWithTheWindowDown
moosicmaniac
Harbortown
Steve70s
Hasler09
kappanera
RobertODonnell
Amanda941
The_River
ivienco
AngryRyan
Holland
StitchesOnTheRadio
Shrewsbury_Stars
mja271
jzancan
eagles1139
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Empty
PostSubject: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Oh my god, Underneath the Ground.

http://soundcheck.walmart.com/Artists/the-gaslight-anthem/2014?cid=lrp.585.6820.2029

Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Oh my god, The 59 Sound! The switch to E Standard was enough to really put a refreshing touch on that one.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 9:35 pm

jzancan wrote:
Oh my god, The 59 Sound! The switch to E Standard was enough to really put a refreshing touch on that one.

Maybe the best I've ever heard that song sound.

Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Good stuff. Vocals are a bit rough in parts, especially 1,000 Years. I've always felt that Brian, for having such a great voice, doesn't have as much control over in the live setting as he should. Changes registers alot and can be awkward at times. Overall though, very cool little session and nice to hear some of these new ones and see Alex on the keys!
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 11:11 pm

lol that they edited out the word "cocaine" in R&T. Way to go Wal-Mart!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:00 am

The only thing that bothered me about this was how stiff they look. I mean I get it, with all the cameras and recording it, and it was also probably pretty new for them to play this as a band at that point, etc etc. but it's actually uncomfortable to watch. But otherwise, this was cool. I actually laughed with that intro thing where Brian has to promote Walmart. I'm sure that was the highlight of his week  Razz . I can hear the shouts of "sell out" now.

So far Walmart and McDonald's seem to be sponsoring this new album. Couldn't they get some, I don't know, less trashy companies on board? haha.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 am

Nice to see some of the new songs live, its interesting to see which guitar parts they have used seeing as there are so many on the album. I think it would be helped by a bit of reverb and in my experience headphones aren't really conducive to great performances.

I really like how he sings the 'i want to caution you...' part of Underneath The Ground, it makes me which they had not distorted and muffled it on the album .
Back to top Go down
AngryRyan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AngryRyan

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 am

Brain's voice from 2011 and 2013/14 are so different. It's like he lost his ability to hit certain notes. I think they slowed down 59 sound to accommodate his voice.

every song sounds slowed down a bit, its noticeable on 45. :-(
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Alex L talks! yay!
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Why did they made Brian sing on a SM57 mic, while the others have SM58 mics???

The whole thing is super messy. Feels like they are not confortable at all.
Back to top Go down
Amanda941
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Amanda941

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:04 pm

This sounds great....But REALLY? Teaming up with Wal-mart? Is this another move by Mercury Records?
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Amanda941 wrote:
This sounds great....But REALLY? Teaming up with Wal-mart? Is this another move by Mercury Records?

I assume most things are a move by Mercury Records...although Brian did say in that Triple J interview that he says no to radio stations, so if he has the power to do that...I dunno. Maybe with their arrangement, he doesn't see it as tantamount to payola.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Eh, I don't share any of the ire about the Walmart appearance. Some new live performance videos are fine with me, and if a small, start-up chain like Walmart gets some attention by aligning themselves with a huge rock group like Gaslight, who are we to judge?
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Not their best performance..I'm really not sure about the E tuning (I'm sorry but 45 will never work in that key).They look uncomfortable..however I was glad to see a bunch of new songs performed!
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 3:05 pm

I don't like the E tuning on most of the old songs. Brian's upper register can be absolutely painful live, and he didn't right the songs that way, so I wish they'd perform them with their initial tuning and just switch to standard guitars for the new stuff that was written that way.
Back to top Go down
Hasler09
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Hasler09

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm

I think the new tuning works great. The old tuning always left Brian sounding a bit out of tune live and struggling to hit the notes (not every time). 45 has always been a little sketchy live in my opinion. These new songs sound great live and the more they play them the better they will sound.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I enjoyed the songs a lot in this form - always thought the new ones stripped of so much production would pull into line with the older ones.

Walmart?

The CEO of Walmart makes more in a single hour than a full-time Wal-Mart associate makes in an entire year.

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:34 pm

jzancan wrote:
What? It's in C.
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Harbortown wrote:
jzancan wrote:
What? It's in C.

While the song is not in the of E, the guitar tuning they switched to was E standard. E is the lowest string. When they were tuned down a whole step they were in D standard.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:51 pm

moosicmaniac wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
jzancan wrote:
What? It's in C.

While the song is not in the of E, the guitar tuning they switched to was E standard. E is the lowest string.  When they were tuned down a whole step they were in D standard.
Oh my. I'm supposed to know all this yet for some reason I completely misinterpreted your post.

carry on, friend
Back to top Go down
AndWithTheWindowDown
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AndWithTheWindowDown

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Harbortown wrote:
moosicmaniac wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
jzancan wrote:
What? It's in C.

While the song is not in the of E, the guitar tuning they switched to was E standard. E is the lowest string.  When they were tuned down a whole step they were in D standard.
Oh my. I'm supposed to know all this yet for some reason I completely misinterpreted your post.

carry on, friend

Guitar nerd checking in. In D standard the key was A# but when they changed tunings it did bump it to C! You're both right Smile
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 8:46 pm

The interview was definitely awkward -- and Brian's voice really couldn't hit the notes in 59 Sound anymore.
Still interesting to hear slightly different takes on these songs.
Back to top Go down
AndWithTheWindowDown
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AndWithTheWindowDown

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 9:39 am

njguy99 wrote:
The interview was definitely awkward -- and Brian's voice really couldn't hit the notes in 59 Sound anymore.
Still interesting to hear slightly different takes on these songs.

I feel like when he hit those high notes, they could have been really great sounding if they weren't quite so out of reach. I think he could make the key change great!
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 10:16 am

Is there any way to get these videos off the website?
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Is there any way to get these videos off the website?
Right-click on them and it lets you download them Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walmart Soundcheck Sessions   Walmart Soundcheck Sessions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walmart Soundcheck Sessions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next