DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:13 pm

What I like about the 1,000 Years chorus is that it is uplifting. Overall, the record is quite heavy I'd say, but 1,000 Years gives me that "everything's gonna be alright" feeling. That was the feeling that I got when I put on SoS and, especially, The '59 Sound for the first time and made me fall in love. I think it's a similar sort of thing for lots of other people.

Overall, I like listening to the album. The first half is pretty damn spectacular at times to me but I lose interest during the second half. I'm certainly not blown away by every track on the entire record, but then again, I guess that's an unfair expectation to hold. Anyhow, quiet was the night.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:41 pm

I hear a lot of people saying they're not a big fan of the back half of the record, but I personally really like most of those songs. Rollin & Tumblin is great, Red Violins has grown on me a lot, Selected Poems and Ain't That a Shame are great TGA rockers and Dark Places is my favorite track on the record.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 2:26 pm

EYY EYY EYYY
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Ain't That a Shame is such a friggin jam
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Count me in for loving the 1,000 Years chorus and the song overall. I actually think the record could've benefited from a couple more huge choruses like that.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Apparently the exclusive spotify track is Anywhere I lay my head..I guess they re-recorded it but it won't load on my phone so I don't know.
http://spotify-thedrop.com/drop/the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt/content/anywhere-i-lay-my-head-tom-waits-cover
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 5:24 pm

To be honest I am surprised how popular Selected Poems is. There is normally one song on a Gaslight record I don't feel as much as the rest and this is the one on Get Hurt. I don't like the intro either because to me it sounds exactly like The Horrible Crowes and I don't think it really fits with the rest of the song. I think I would appreciate the track better if that intro was not there.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 5:34 pm

kappanera wrote:
Apparently the exclusive spotify track is Anywhere I lay my head..I guess they re-recorded it but it won't load on my phone so I don't know.
http://spotify-thedrop.com/drop/the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt/content/anywhere-i-lay-my-head-tom-waits-cover

It's the same version as the fan club release.
Back to top Go down
BKO5950505
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BKO5950505

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Some of y'all are loco en la cabeza...Chorus in 1,000 Years is legit.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 6:27 pm

I don't know if it is because of my current personal situation or not but I think Break Your Heart could possibly end up being my favourite Gaslight 'ballad'. I always thought they would never be able to top Here's Looking At You Kid and Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts but Break Your Heart in my opinion is very close to these songs.

It is such a beautiful song but like a lot of the songs on this album I wish it did not resonate so deeply with me. I have listened to the whole album 4 times now and I am liking it more every time. I think Underneath The Ground is just phenomenal.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Christophe wrote:
I don't know if it is because of my current personal situation or not but I think Break Your Heart could possibly end up being my favourite Gaslight 'ballad'. I always thought they would never be able to top Here's Looking At You Kid and Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts but Break Your Heart in my opinion is very close to these songs.

It is such a beautiful song but like a lot of the songs on this album I wish it did not resonate so deeply with me. I have listened to the whole album 4 times now and I am liking it more every time. I think Underneath The Ground is just phenomenal.

Break Your Heart and Underneath the Ground are gems. My only criticism is that the record would have benefitted from one or two more ballads. Many of the tracks start gently and then get progressively louder; having Sweet Morphine and Have Mercy on the official album would have made it longer but they'd also give the listener a bit more time to breathe. It's a minor observation but there isn't much time to really catch your breath on this one.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Break You Heart just seems so honest and grounded. On an album titled get hurt, there couldn't be a more fitting song.
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Chobble wrote:
Some of y'all are loco en la cabeza...Chorus in 1,000 Years is legit.

agreed. I dig it.

fantastic song.

just would like to reiterate how much better I like this than Handwritten. I can play this album straight through and not get bored or want to skip tracks. I think this being the follow up to Handwritten makes that album look even weaker. Outside of about 3 or 4 tracks I probably won't return to that one much in the long term future, but can see myself coming back to Get Hurt a lot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 12:44 am

Yeah I've always thought barre Keepsake, Mae, and Blue Dahlia the majority of Handwritten was a disgrace, and the quality of this record just re-affirms that.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 7:40 am

Get Hurt currently just below American Slang for me then it's Sink or Swim, 59 Sound and Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
gchestney
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:
Yeah I've always thought barre Keepsake, Mae, and Blue Dahlia the majority of Handwritten was a disgrace, and the quality of this record just re-affirms that.

I would throw Mulholland Drive and National Anthem in there as well.

As for Get Hurt, there is nothing wrong with them progressing with a new sound with this album. BF's divorce has obviously played a part in the direction this album has taken and, for me, it's paid off. There's also so many 'styles' of music within this album: Stay Vicious is grungey but changes the tempo with the melodic side, you've got the acoustic Break Your Heart, Stray Paper with it's riffage...They've done a great job in mixing up the music within this album so it always remains fresh, some bands release a record and after a listen it feels you've listened to the same song 12 times in a row but it's had a different name each time.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 11:13 am

Harbortown wrote:
The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
I think most people who dislike the 1,000 Years chorus (I'm not massively keen on it at the moment) see that it will probably be a favourite amongst most fans.
It would be one of my favorites if not for the embarrassing chorus.

100%. I love the verses. Not too big of a fan of the bridge though, but that may just be how it comes off the chorus. I think getting big and fast at the end would work better if the chorus wasn't so...the chorus.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
moreblue
A Contender
A Contender
moreblue

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 12:44 pm

The vocals on 1000 Years at 3:05 onwards remind me so much of another song(s).

I just can't place where I've heard that vocal flow before.
Possibly Third Eye Blind. Or Offspring. Or something 90s ish.

Anyone else think it sounds familiar or can place where I've heard it before?
Back to top Go down
SirBrad
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 12:52 pm

moreblue wrote:
The vocals on 1000 Years at 3:05 onwards remind me so much of another song(s).

I just can't place where I've heard that vocal flow before.
Possibly Third Eye Blind. Or Offspring. Or something 90s ish.

Anyone else think it sounds familiar or can place where I've heard it before?

Song definitely reminds me of Third Eye Blind.

The intro has the 3EB sound and then that flow you mentioned reminds me a little of How's It Going To Be around the 2:45 mark.

Surely this is a song that could have been a radio hit around 1997.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/bradmhouser
moreblue
A Contender
A Contender
moreblue

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Cool, cheers for that!

Good excuse to listen to 3EB again too!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 1:42 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:

I've always thought handwritten was a disgrace besides 45, handwritten, here comes my man, mulholland drive, keepsake, too much blood, howl, biloxi parish, desire, mae, national anthem, and blue dahlia.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm

I actually thought the cadence of the 1,000 Years coda is very similar to the verses of Like A Rolling Stone.

And people are being way too harsh on Handwritten. It's always a gut reaction to dismiss the previous album when a new one comes out, since it typically attempts to "correct" the flaws of the last. But honestly I much much prefer Handwritten to Get Hurt. It's just so much stronger melodically and it feels more like Gaslight to me. Get Hurt is an extremely dour album, even though I do enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Jack wrote:
I actually thought the cadence of the 1,000 Years coda is very similar to the verses of Like A Rolling Stone.

?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Jack wrote:
And people are being way too harsh on Handwritten.
Yep.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 pm

jzancan wrote:
Jack wrote:

?

The cadence or the rhythm of the words are very rambling in both of these songs.

"Way back when we became friends" = "Once upon a time you dressed so fine"

Not to mention they're also both melodies that heavily rely on one note.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 16 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next