DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]

Go down 
+112
simo
BossTime
azlisa
biggs
TheDTYP
macci
DaisyLu
JukeboxJuliet
shredderrrrrr
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
PPQ
JenF
Bobul
katechampagne
onbackstreetsinbackseats
moreblue
gchestney
BKO5950505
23Punk
AndWithTheWindowDown
njguy99
Unorthadox1080
Shrewsbury_Stars
B701
loazis
HaveMercyMae
bringiton
ccr_2108
bt211
Jack
Labhras
Harbortown
HolyBreakOfDay
Steve70s
chigurh
TooMuchGaslight
jensomniac
PennStateRLZ
CapedAvenger
Anya_TGA
cdala
No Retreat
Chappers
dmckella1
Holland
kappanera
kristyn
Keele
lol_paul_ledoux
magnificentdreamer
ral
Boy From Little Eden
danny4690
nebraska
Kasia
JimmyB
jonnyz83
DeathoftheCool
MKULTRA
SouthJerseyTGA
Mountie
sinkorswimmydear
SirBrad
JacksSmirkingRevenge
borrowedcar
jzancan
HorribleCrowe
CasanovaBaby90
Hasler09
ivienco
rumham
pepperedham
The_M23
NotLikeWeBleed
mingus
bradleyjp
White Man In Hammersmith
The_River
33RPMHero
Christophe
Jaws
eagles1139
poormrpitiful
mja271
miked331
bringiton_ty
Jerseyrain
zerb012345
The Angry Johnny Revue
riversedge
StateOfMind
steady now steady now
Vanderlyle Geek
The Last Jukebox Romeo
bobbyjames
Prisoner
Hanswurst
crsmsi
StitchesOnTheRadio
colmillionaire
Yozzy
pleasepassthesoup
Thunder Peel
enola
Casey
TGAFAN25
NervousFeet
TGA30
bigbug
RobertODonnell
Debonair
Franco3088
116 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Kasia
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm surprised that "Selected Poems" doesn't get any love from people who are missing the 'old gaslight' sound.
it's pretty perfect imho.

And; I have just listened to the whole thing just once; it feels like it's a classic grower record.

It feels good.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 5:47 pm

i haven't listened closely for lyrics on every track, but i'm getting a very dark, depressed kind of vibe from what i've heard.

in the past, the characters were lonely but they had some hope and healing from music (Boxer, Handwritten, Angry Johnny, Woody, Came to Dance, any song with the radio in it) and that americana stuff (Elvis, Casanova, Lincoln). sometimes the pain even brought people together, like in Blue Dahlia.

pain isn't romanticized at all here.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Enough spins in now to begin the parsing out process. Final opinions wait until the lyrics are all out - I feel like I might be missing something in the songs I feel are more boring.

Tracks 4-8 are weak compared to the rest of the record - I actually love R&T, but it's surrounded by IMO the forgettables on the record. The middle dips hard, and I wish R&T and Red Violins were swapped in placement.

Stray Paper is pretty much filler.
Helter Skeleton ends so much stronger than it starts; the intro is so cheesy I don't know if I'll get past it.
Underneath the Ground has grown on me a bit but remains boring.
Red Violins is pretty much filler, along with Stray Paper probably the most forgettable to me.

Selected Poems starts weak but once it picks up about 45 seconds in it becomes one of the best on the record.

Break Your Heart is nice but I'm pretty much just bitter Have Mercy didn't get its placement. Have Mercy is slow and delicate and catchy and big without being big. Break Your Heart never quite gets anywhere for me.

1,000 Years, Get Hurt, Selected Poems, Ain't That a Shame, Dark Places - IMO the better songs on the album (not counting bonus tracks).

Stray Paper, Helter Skeleton, Red Violins - probably get skipped on those road trip album playthroughs (unless I can get past Helter Skeleton's intro because I really do like the second half of the song).
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:00 pm

NervousFeet wrote:
Enough spins in now to begin the parsing out process. Final opinions wait until the lyrics are all out - I feel like I might be missing something in the songs I feel are more boring.

Tracks 4-8 are weak compared to the rest of the record - I actually love R&T, but it's surrounded by IMO the forgettables on the record. The middle dips hard, and I wish R&T and Red Violins were swapped in placement.

Helter Skeleton ends so much stronger than it starts; the intro is so cheesy I don't know if I'll get past it.
Red Violins is pretty much filler, along with Stray Paper probably the most forgettable to me.

Selected Poems starts weak but once it picks up about 45 seconds in it becomes one of the best on the record.

Break Your Heart is nice but I'm pretty much just bitter Have Mercy didn't get its placement. Have Mercy is slow and delicate and catchy and big without being big. Break Your Heart never quite gets anywhere for me.

1,000 Years, Get Hurt, Selected Poems, Ain't That a Shame, Dark Places - IMO the better songs on the album (not counting bonus tracks).

Stray Paper, Helter Skeleton, Red Violins - probably get skipped on those road trip album playthroughs (unless I can get past Helter Skeleton's intro because I really do like the second half of the song).

Interesting...Red Violins and Stray Paper are two of my favorites. Stray Paper's lyrics are really unlike anything Brian's written so I don't think it can dismissed as filler. Filler to me is something like "Desire", just a run-of-the-mill song that does what a ton of their other songs do better.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Brian's vocals sound miles better than Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
NervousFeet
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
NervousFeet

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:09 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
NervousFeet wrote:

Interesting...Red Violins and Stray Paper are two of my favorites. Stray Paper's lyrics are really unlike anything Brian's written so I don't think it can dismissed as filler. Filler to me is something like "Desire", just a run-of-the-mill song that does what a ton of their other songs do better.

The best and worst thing about people -- we all have opinions and they won't always align! Razz

I actually think of Stray Paper and Red Violins as being exactly like Desire. Good, but forgettable.

Again, I'll wait it out for all the lyrics to be out before making any final calls
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
It's a shame this has leaked. I know many leak downloaders will buy the album too but many will take their free rip off whatever site is streaming it and be content with stealing, which is what it is I guess. Give the band their due and buy it guys. People who have been excited for so long about the album surely could have waited one more week to hear their own copy. I know the band will likely be annoyed by this leak and rightly so. As much as I'm looking forward to it and especially after some favourable reviews, I'll be waiting to have a real copy not some download. Shame on those who leaked it.

No, it's not a shame. This is entirely the promoters and record label's fault.
Seriously. What do you think will happen when you open up a stream? People will rip it and post it. Now factor in that the stream is only open to people in the US, now you create a massive demand from everyone outside the US. This is entirely the promoter's fault, this was a poor decision to create a stream for only one country.
Anyways, I'll post my opinion after I pirate this album (but I will still be buying it, pirating it is out of necessity because I'm impatient as hell).
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Casey wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
It's a shame this has leaked. I know many leak downloaders will buy the album too but many will take their free rip off whatever site is streaming it and be content with stealing, which is what it is I guess. Give the band their due and buy it guys. People who have been excited for so long about the album surely could have waited one more week to hear their own copy. I know the band will likely be annoyed by this leak and rightly so. As much as I'm looking forward to it and especially after some favourable reviews, I'll be waiting to have a real copy not some download. Shame on those who leaked it.

Seriously. What do you think will happen when you open up a stream? People will rip it and post it. Now factor in that the stream is only open to people in the US, now you create a massive demand from everyone outside the US. This is entirely the promoter's fault, this was a poor decision to create a stream for only one country.
Anyways, I'll post my opinion after I pirate this album (but I will still be buying it, pirating it is out of necessity because I'm impatient as hell).

I could not agree more. I had to download it illegally cause everyone in the US is hearing it but since I am in South America I couldn't. I'm not cancelling my preorder but it's still annoying that they choose to restrict the streaming for US users only. That's actually a stupid move, what else do you want than having the band you're promoting be known and successful worldwide? Especially knowing how successful bands like this are in SoAm (Brian and co. can talk to all the bands they tour with, and most of them have played in Brazil, Argentina, Chile.) and knowing they're far mor known in the UK and Germany than in their own country. I can't get my head around it, really.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Lots of mentions of a California girl. And really love some leads by Alex. Great use of delay in 1000 years.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Anyone else think Sweet Morphine and Mamas Boys could be tracks on a separate EP? Both have a nice country vibe with harmonica and slide guitar etc Would love an EP in that style by Gaslight!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:29 pm

ivienco wrote:
Casey wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:

I could not agree more. I had to download it illegally cause everyone in the US is hearing it but since I am in South America I couldn't. I'm not cancelling my preorder but it's still annoying that they choose to restrict the streaming for US users only. That's actually a stupid move, what else do you want than having the band you're promoting be known and successful worldwide? Especially knowing how successful bands like this are in SoAm (Brian and co. can talk to all the bands they tour with, and most of them have played in Brazil, Argentina, Chile.) and knowing they're far mor known in the UK and Germany than in their own country. I can't get my head around it, really.

Yeah, I'm guessing there is some logic behind the decision. Maybe iTunes pays them based on the number of streams and it's part of their policy to only make the radio streaming available to the US (and Australia?). There definitely has to be some decent reason involving money and business for them to do this, so I don't really hold it against the label much. More iTunes fault than anyone else.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:35 pm

NervousFeet wrote:

Break Your Heart is nice but I'm pretty much just bitter Have Mercy didn't get its placement. Have Mercy is slow and delicate and catchy and big without being big. Break Your Heart never quite gets anywhere.

Spot on. I love how Have Mercy is a big song even though it's slow, quiet and almost mumbled.

That's the track that has made me sit up and appreciate the band doing something new. It's the most confident song on the album (though technically it's not on there! Why?!).

So I tip my hat to Brian and the boys, 'cos that is a brave step and ultimately a great song.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
NervousFeet wrote:

Break Your Heart is nice but I'm pretty much just bitter Have Mercy didn't get its placement. Have Mercy is slow and delicate and catchy and big without being big. Break Your Heart never quite gets anywhere.

Spot on. I love how Have Mercy is a big song even though it's slow, quiet and almost mumbled.

That's the track that has made me sit up and appreciate the band doing something new. It's the most confident song on the album (though technically it's not on there! Why?!).

So I tip my hat to Brian and the boys, 'cos that is a brave step and ultimately a great song.

This, have mercy is the most different song and I can't believe how good it is, I love that lana del rey vibe and it's better with brian's voice
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 pm

The intro to Dark Places reminds me of the Goo Goo Dolls, especially Stay With You.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Casey wrote:
The intro to Dark Places reminds me of the Goo Goo Dolls, especially Stay With You.

A lot of the sounds on this record remind me of great 90s bands- Wallflowers (Underneath the Ground, Have Mercy), Third Eye Blind (1,000 Years), Goo Goo Dolls (Dark Places)... I love it
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Just listened through the album tracks. Early favorites are Stray Paper, Underneath the Ground, and Dark Places. Like every new album from one of my favorite bands, it's going to take a little getting used to before I can actually form an opinion. But immediate reaction is thumbs up.

Edit: The bonus tracks should be on the album. I don't know what I would swap out (or if I would swap anything out at this point) but the trend continues with this band and bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:56 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Casey wrote:

A lot of the sounds on this record remind me of great 90s bands- Wallflowers (Underneath the Ground, Have Mercy), Third Eye Blind (1,000 Years), Goo Goo Dolls (Dark Places)... I love it

Yeah good call, agreed.
Is it just me or does Break Your Heart's intro sound similar to Wake Me Up When September Ends? I don't know much about guitar but they do sound similar, but obviously the songs have totally different melodies.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:57 pm

Casey wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Casey wrote:

Yeah good call, agreed.
Is it just me or does Break Your Heart's intro sound similar to Wake Me Up When September Ends? I don't know much about guitar but they do sound similar, but obviously the songs have totally different melodies.

I'm getting a really big Tom Petty vibe from the vocal stylings and guitar of Break your Heart (particularly from his jam "It'll all work out")
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Well, my iTunes is being idiotic. It only let me listen to it once, and will not play any of them again. Well, at least I enjoyed my ONE listen.....
Back to top Go down
danny4690
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Can't listen to this in the UK which is a pain. I had been doing my best to hold off and not listen to any of the songs or see any of the videos before the release date so I could listen to the whole thing as it should be heard - as a whole album.

I gave in though when I saw that it was streaming, then found I couldn't listen to it so I had a listen to a few of the songs already released.

Overall, I like what's out there so far, it is a change and it is a progression which some people will always resent - heck I'd be delighted if another SOS type album came out.

I think what annoys me more is what I see as the more recent change towards a much more corporate machine style management - this is separate to the sound so maybe off topic. Earlier albums were always heart on the sleeve, what you see is what you get. It struck me with Handwritten when I worked in a record shop and the Deluxe Editions came in and I was like "what the hell is this?!?"

Having bonus tracks and secret stuff for paying more just instantly struck me as a really un-TGA thing to do and this latest album is the worst so far with what - four or five bonus tracks?

Shoot me down if it's something they've always done - but I guess it ties into the streaming and the leaks, it's designed towards more sales, drum up more interest for the band.

That's great and all, but for me TGA's music is enough to do that, they don't need to employ dodgy marketing techniques designed to hit their most loyal fans (like me) who will pay the extra just to hear more of them and have the CD/LP rather than a stream or a download.
Back to top Go down
Boy From Little Eden
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 8:34 pm

I personally am enjoying listening to these songs already, Some of them I loved instantly... Others I know will grow on me. For the people who are writing the band off because of this album, I am sorry.. but I wont miss you.. You can go cry in your room and listen to the 59 Sound until the needle on your record player breaks. The Gaslight anthem to me is like a family in the sense that I will always love them, no matter what... Good albums, Bad albums..Brian has done enough for me to realize that he is a very very talented songwriter and musician, and for that ill follow him for the rest of his career.

Last edited by Boy From Little Eden on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm

First impression was a lot of this sounds like it could've been on a second Horrible Crowes album. It's definitely not going to be my album of the year but there are a few keepers throughout.

It'll be interesting to see how well they can pull these songs off live, especially Brian's vocals.

Also worth nothing that the sound quality of the "rip" once again isn't the best. Better than the HW preview but I'm looking forward to the actual release.
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 pm

I dig it.  Some tracks needed a few listens to grow, but overall another strong Gaslight album.
Back to top Go down
magnificentdreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
magnificentdreamer

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:20 pm

I like it a lot so far.  Definitely not as weird as I was expecting though. Stay Vicious and Underneath the Ground are the only songs that feel really different to me, the rest sound like they wouldn't be too out of place on the last 2 albums aside from some of the production flourishes. It's a little early to say definitively, but I think it's better than Handwritten, especially in the lyrical department. Stray Paper is probably my favorite right now. I love the surreal lyrics and the vocals. I feel it should have had at least one more verse though, since it has such an epic feel, then just ends after less than 3 minutes. Others that stand out to me so far are 1,000 Years, Helter Skeleton and Dark Places.  Underneath the Ground is weird, but it's growing on me. The only one I'm not crazy about is Break Your Heart. It's a pretty tune, but I feel like they've done a lot of slower acoustic songs like this better before. I agree that Have Mercy should have been swapped with it on the official album. Regardless, I think it's a strong rocknroll record that updates their sound without getting too crazy.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 pm

I can't agree with anyone calling Red Violins filler, that track is such a hoppin booty shaker god damn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]   'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now] - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Get Hurt' album (general discussion) [Out Now]
Page 7 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next