DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics

Go down 
+10
The_River
TGAFAN25
ivienco
pleasepassthesoup
eagles1139
scarsrsouvenirs
DeathoftheCool
Tincan Sailor
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Empty
PostSubject: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 5:25 am

rendeer Lyrics pulled from The "Molly and the Zombies" thread (https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t5331-molly-the-zombies  ) Edited lyrics and discussion of song here. Not guaranteed to be accurate.

Thank you to the following members for Lyric revisions: (Jack, Tincan Sailor, Teton'sBlame, pleasepassthesoup, ivienco, zombietime, StitchesOnTheRadio )

Long drives

Listen to me
I know I never got much relief
I limped when I walked
S-s-stuttered to talk
and the achin’ was just part of me
listen to me
I know all about agony
when you say that it hurts
more than anybody sees
with a heart colder than
the heart oughta be

‘cause you married a man who lied to you love
But it wasn’t like that when he first picked you up.
When he drove you around and he bought you some flowers
Until something had changed and the temperature soured

But I’m alright
Baby I don’t mind
I’ll get on just fine
On them long long drives
Call it a lie

Well whatever brings you back to life
We could turn it around we can drive it straight home
If you wanna be alone for the night
Whatever song you like

From The Souls to Mack the Knife
(here we go, here we go, here we go)
we could turn it up loud
we can put the pedal down
With the rain beading up my love

'Cause you ache for a drug that’ll never be enough
You’re never gonna feel like when he first picked you up
when he drove you around, bought you powder and flowers
until the thrill was gone

but you said  
I’m alright
baby I don’t mind
I’ll get on just fine
on them long long drives

last night I remembered being 17
I met a girl with a taste for the world and whiskey and rites of spring

spent every night with cassettes that she liked
in a car that I borrowed a lot.
and I could never get her to believe.

'Cause we tasted a kiss that was sent from below
it was cool in the night I was old as a stone
in the back of the car with a child at heart
who suddenly showed you their teeth

but you said
I’m alright
Jamie, I don’t mind
I’ll get on just fine
On them long long drives without you
drives without you

And I still see him sometimes
and he doesn't look right
you left me for him
then you left him for spite
I hope you never pay that price
Wherever you are tonight

-----------------------------------Begin Original Post--------------------------------

This is what I have for "Long Drives" (I don't claim it to entirely make sense or be gramatically correct but it's what I heard)

Long drives

Listen to me
I know I never got much relief
I limped when I walked
S-stuttered to talk
And my aching foot’s bothering me
So listen to me
I know all about agony
when they say that it hurts
loving anybody seems
?
?
‘cause you married a man who lied to you love
But it wasn’t like that when he first picked you up.
When he drove you around and he bought you some flowers
Until something had changed and temperature soured

But I’m alright
Baby I don’t mind
I belong just fine
On that long long drive
Call it a lie

Well whatever brings you back to life
We could turn her around I can drive you straight home
If you want me alone for a night
?

From the souls of 9 to 5(????)
we could turn her around we can put the pedal down
If it ain’t good enough my love

?..cause you ain’t….
Like when I first picked you up
when he drove you around and he bought you ?? and flowers
until the thrill was gone

but you said  
I’m alright
baby I don’t mind
I belong just fine
on that long long drive

last night I remember being 17
I met a girl with a taste for the world and whiskey and rites of spring

……sentences she writes in a car that I borrowed a lot.
And I remember her better than…
?
……..in the back of the car….
?

but you said
I’m alright
?? I don’t mind
I belong just fine
on that long long drives without you
drives without you

I still see him sometimes
and he doesn’t look right
you left me for him
then you left him for spite
I hope you never pay that price
Wherever you are tonight

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:16 am; edited 19 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm pretty sure it's "rites of spring" instead of "rights of spring". But yeah, it was hard to pick up on the lyrics live. And the Youtube videos don't help much.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: merge   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Jack wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's "rites of spring" instead of "rights of spring". But yeah, it was hard to pick up on the lyrics live. And the Youtube videos don't help much.

haha, I knew I wrote that wrong and made a mental note to fix it, but apparently I forgot, haha, oops  Embarassed

Okay, first round of edits have been made. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm hearing bought you powder and flowers...not sure if that makes sense, though.

And I'm definitely hearing "tell me, I don't mind".

I feel like I can get a lot of these lyrics if I sit down and really listen closely. I have to shovel a boatload of snow right now, though, so it'll have to be later on Sad
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 6:39 pm

It's "Whatever song you like" so I'm guessing it's "from the Souls" to something else to do with music.

"Sentences she locked in a car"

"I still see him sometimes and he/it doesn't look right"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 3:04 am

Dammit, I keep editing the wrong post! I did this on one of the other songs too. As you can see I had your last correction "I still see him sometimes and he doesn't look right" but I put it in the bottom "original" post. oops.

Anyway, I agree with all your corrections, I'll ad them in a sec. I'm also hearing that line about "POWDER and flowers" so I'll go with it even though I'm not sure it makes sense either.
Back to top Go down
Tincan Sailor
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Tincan Sailor

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:21 am

I THINK that it's "from the souls to Mack the Knife"?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am

Tincan Sailor wrote:
I THINK that it's "from the souls to Mack the Knife"?

Sounds close enough to me. I'll go ahead and put that in. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 am

Bouncing Souls and Bobby Darin, alright!
Back to top Go down
scarsrsouvenirs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm dying to know what the lyrics are that none of us can make out! Haha I wonder if we'll ever know...
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 1:40 pm

In the back of the car with his eye on the...

.....showed you their teeth

Again, this is really hard to hear.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 pm

I put in your edits.

I'm so mad I didn't get a recording of this one. I tried to remember as many revisions as possible, but that basically consisted of like one for this song and one for another song. If he plays it at the second show, I will be recording it.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 am

I'm bumping this thread because I made a decent number of changes after watching my crappy video of the song and listening to Andrew's nearly perfectly clear recording. If anyone can help with a few questionable lines, particularly the ones surrounded in ???s please do!
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Pretty interesting how he changes the chorus to "Jamie, I don't mind" at the end...This song strikes me as one of the most painfully personal songs he's ever written. If a song like this had come out pre-Handwritten I wouldn't have a problem with the self-seriousness of him wondering if he has "put too much blood on the page".
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 pm

I think it's "them long, long drives" instead of "that long, long drives"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 am

eagles1139 wrote:
Pretty interesting how he changes the chorus to "Jamie, I don't mind" at the end...This song strikes me as one of the most painfully personal songs he's ever written. If a song like this had come out pre-Handwritten I wouldn't have a problem with the self-seriousness of him wondering if he has "put too much blood on the page".

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that one at first but after hearing it live and up close two more times at crossroads it's very clearly Jamie. And I agree. I don't think I appreciated the depth of emotion in this song at first but it's intense. Haha, "self-seriousness" I never looked at that song that way but I see your perspective. Maybe the concerns he expresses in too much blood relate to a desire to put more blood on the page (with songs like this) but a fear of what that will mean for him. Hmm... you got me thinkin' now, haha.

Jack wrote:
I think it's "them long, long drives" instead of "that long, long drives"

I thought I changed all those scratch. Wups! nice catch.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 1:23 am

Updated now that the recordings are out. I left a few ??? next to a couple lines because i'm not entirely convinced they're right but unless anyone else has any ideas then I think that's the closest we're gonna get for now. Please comment on here if you hear anything else!

FUN FACT: I'm pretty positive the "Here we go" background part is a reference to the bouncing souls song by the same name.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 12:16 pm

So, I don't post on here often (and it's been a while since my last post), but I'm really excited about this whole MATZ thing. I was at the Home for the Holidays and 2nd Crossroads shows, so I've been looking forward to this.

Great job with the lyrics. It's a big help. I heard a couple lines slightly different and wondered if you thought they might be right:

last line of the first verse: "with a heart colder than the heart off-beat"
in the bridge: "Spent every night with cassettes that she locked in a car that I borrowed a lot"
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 2:57 pm

pleasepassthesoup wrote:
So, I don't post on here often (and it's been a while since my last post), but I'm really excited about this whole MATZ thing. I was at the Home for the Holidays and 2nd Crossroads shows, so I've been looking forward to this.

Great job with the lyrics. It's a big help. I heard a couple lines slightly different and wondered if you thought they might be right:

in the bridge: "Spent every night with cassettes that she locked in a car that I borrowed a lot"

I could hug you right now. Thank you for figuring out that line! I'm not 100% confident that it's 100% accurate but it's far closer than anything I could come up with and I'll never feel confident about any configuration of words there unless Brian himself says what they are, but it's probably right. Fixing it now!

And nice catch with "cassettes"! It seems so obvious now.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:20 pm

pleasepassthesoup wrote:

OK I'm impressed by the long list of shows!!

BTW couldn't it be "She spent every night with cassettes that she liked in a car that I borrowed a lot"?
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:36 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

I could hug you right now. Thank you for figuring out that line! I'm not 100% confident that it's 100% accurate but it's far closer than anything I could come up with and I'll never feel confident about any configuration of words there unless Brian himself says what they are, but it's probably right. Fixing it now!

And nice catch with "cassettes"! It seems so obvious now.

Haha Thanks. I'm not 100% on it either. It's just the closest I could figure out after listening to that line over and over again.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 3:38 pm

ivienco wrote:
pleasepassthesoup wrote:

OK I'm impressed by the long list of shows!!

BTW couldn't it be "She spent every night with cassettes that she liked in a car that I borrowed a lot"?

Thanks! I've been following the guys for a long time, now!

Hmm. that could be it too. Can't tell. The two words sound so similar.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Listening now and I agree with it being "liked". I'll edit that when I get home. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Does it sound to anyone else like he's singing "I'll get on just fine" instead of "I belong just fine"? I'm actually pretty sure that's what it is now that I've listened a couple times.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 1:32 am

"We spent every night with the sex that she liked in a car that we borrowed a lot"

I don't hear enough syllables for cassettes... I hear sex...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next