DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics

Go down 
+10
The_River
TGAFAN25
ivienco
pleasepassthesoup
eagles1139
scarsrsouvenirs
DeathoftheCool
Tincan Sailor
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 1:37 am

Haha I'm definitely hearing cassettes. Interesting theory, though.

Also, "cassettes" is the same number of syllables as "the sex". Not to be that guy...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 2:20 am

Jack wrote:
Does it sound to anyone else like he's singing "I'll get on just fine" instead of "I belong just fine"? I'm actually pretty sure that's what it is now that I've listened a couple times.

If you check out the current lyrics, you'll see that it's already been changed to "get on" Wink

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
"We spent every night with the sex that she liked in a car that we borrowed a lot"

I don't hear enough syllables for cassettes... I hear sex...

Hehehe "the sex". I'm still hearing cassettes pretty clearly. Your idea is more amusing though! Razz
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 2:29 am

Ha. Guess that's what I get for not reading the updated lyrics. But man, is it just me or is Brian getting harder and harder to understand these days? Songs are undoubtedly great, though.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 2:41 am

Jack wrote:
Ha. Guess that's what I get for not reading the updated lyrics. But man, is it just me or is Brian getting harder and harder to understand these days? Songs are undoubtedly great, though.

I was actually thinking that the other day while listening to the Senor and the Queen EP. Songs like "Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?" should be difficult to understand. He uses a bajilion words and sings it relatively quickly, and yet I understand every word in that song perfectly. But then you go an listen more recent stuff with half the words and it's much less clear. I don't think that's a bad thing though. Part of being an interesting vocalist is getting creative with how you sing different words. The singers I find the most interesting, tend to make no fucking sense sometimes, haha. Vedder, Springsteen, etc.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:06 pm

I assume the "rites of spring" relates to the band, which is pretty cool to me.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:24 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Jack wrote:

I was actually thinking that the other day while listening to the Senor and the Queen EP. Songs like "Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?" should be difficult to understand. He uses a bajilion words and sings it relatively quickly, and yet I understand every word in that song perfectly. But then you go an listen more recent stuff with half the words and it's much less clear. I don't think that's a bad thing though. Part of being an interesting vocalist is getting creative with how you sing different words. The singers I find the most interesting, tend to make no fucking sense sometimes, haha. Vedder, Springsteen, etc.

Oh yeah, he definitely has his own thing and it's very interesting. But I think it's crazy how much he slurs something simple like "where they brought" on Smoke haha. Especially the first time. But I like his pronunciation on this EP particularly. He's got this very Southern/alt-country thing going on that I dig. Definitely fits in with his description of his solo album as Americana.

For example, I still think the opening line of Red Lights sounds more like "Iago's face is cinnamon."
Back to top Go down
brunswick18
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
brunswick18

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:00 pm

so does anyone have any idea what brain means in the line:

in the back of the car with a child at heart
who suddenly showed you their teeth

specifically the teeth part... lol
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:21 pm

brunswick18 wrote:

child: innocent, carefree, not dangerous.

Showed you their teeth: danger, aggressive/aggression. Think about dogs or animals they "show you their teeth" when they're angry or as a back off sort of thing.

So lured into a false sense of safety? Sound good?
Back to top Go down
brunswick18
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
brunswick18

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Debonair wrote:
brunswick18 wrote:

Showed you their teeth: danger, aggressive/aggression. Think about dogs or animals they "show you their teeth" when they're angry or as a back off sort of thing.

Ah ok, so taking it all into account:

Cause we tasted a kiss that was sent from below
it was cool in the night I was old as a stone

so sharing something special in the back of this car, when suddenly it all goes to shambles for whatever reason, is that it in a nut shell?

wonder what he meant a kiss that was sent from "below"
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 5:54 pm

brunswick18 wrote:
Debonair wrote:
brunswick18 wrote:

so sharing something special in the back of this car, when suddenly it all goes to shambles for whatever reason, is that it in a nut shell?

Brian's a religious guy. So from hell? Basically sin/lust/desire. Too strong to say no to.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:32 am

Debonair wrote:
brunswick18 wrote:
Debonair wrote:
brunswick18 wrote:

Brian's a religious guy. So from hell? Basically sin/lust/desire. Too strong to say no to.

I think that's a pretty good assessment. I think you could take it back a step though even. Like it doesn't even have to be a specific situation where a person suddenly got aggressive. I just see it as a shift in a relationship. That moment where things stopped being all nice and fun and comfortable, and suddenly someone's pissed and showing that they won't stand for whatever is going on. OR maybe it's just early in the relationship (As much of this and the previous verse implies) and it's that first moment when you realize the person you're with isn't....perfect/innocent.

That's an interesting thought on the "kiss from below" line. If you look at the verse before this one, he talks about being 17 and what sounds like the start of the relationship. So assuming the verse after is a continuation of that (going into the next phase of said relationship) it makes sense that "kiss from below" would relate to lust, and then you could look at "below" not just meaning hell but also meaning the kiss was driven by a desire to do a heck of a lot more than kiss Wink. Which brings it back around to the "from hell" concept because it's like they kissed and it made them wanna do "sinful" things. And then there's that loss of innocence thing going on in the following lines...

Also, if you wanted to, you could look at this verse as describing a horrifying first sexual experience Razz(but I believe it's more complex than that, haha)

Ah I've missed diving into Brian's lyrics and thinking of all the possible slight (or drastic) variations of meaning. I love Handwritten, but it's his only album where I feel like we didn't really get to do that. Too direct.
Back to top Go down
zombietime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
zombietime

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 12:34 pm

old thread, i know... but i just realised the lyrics are

when you say that it hurts
more than anybody sees
with a heart colder than
the heart oughta be
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 5:14 am

zombietime wrote:
old thread, i know... but i just realised the lyrics are

when you say that it hurts
more than anybody sees
with a heart colder than
the heart oughta be

That makes more sense to me than what we have up now so I will make the edit. Thanks for that!
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 1:12 pm

next time i go back to CT i'll check the lyric sheet i have too (although i know some of it is wrong or at least not what Fallon sings)
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 4:06 pm

So I guess we'll need a new thread for the solo version of this song because it's so different. I finally figured out what I was hearing differently in the bridge. Instead of "a child at heart" it's "in the back of a car where they try on your heart and suddenly show you their teeth." If you listen again it lines up exactly with what he's singing and the line makes more sense in the context of the song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics   Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Molly and The Zombies : Long Drives Lyrics
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2