DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A life In letters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Boy From Little Eden
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:50 am

I am a big John Steinbeck fan, His writing has always fascinated me. After Finishing "The Grapes Of Wrath" I finally put two & two together...Noticing that Bruce Springsteen's Album "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" was named after a character from the book which I found interesting...

Anyways... I started reading " A life in letters " all of John Steinbeck's letters he had mailed off over the years to his family, friends & publishers etc.. Im about 200 pages in and im finding that the more I read, The more I hear brian talking. I feel like these two men have a very similar outlook on both there life & there work.

One quote I highlighted... John is talking to his friend about the book this man had just written " I am pleased with "Not in a day" Dont let it make a slave of you... I mean, If it sells well, people will want another just like it, and dont let them have it. For right at that point of capitulation is the decision wether the public is going to rule you or you your public"

I found this quote very relatedable to Brian, the band, and the 59' sound.Maybe he is influenced by J.S... Who knows! I wouldnt doubt it if he knew the meaning behind the Boss's albums name & decided to give Stienbecks work a look...And Felt like he could really relate to it.

I would highly recommend reading it if you haven't, Lots of knowledge & life lessons!

cheers,

Boy From Little Eden

Last edited by Boy From Little Eden on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 am

Boy From Little Eden wrote:
I am a big John Steinbeck fan, His writing has always fascinated me. After Finishing "The Grapes Of Wrath" I finally put two & two together...Noticing that Bruce Springsteen's Album "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" was named after a character from the book which I found interesting...

Anyways... I started reading " A life in letters " all of John Steinbeck's letters he had mailed off over the years to his family, friends & publishers etc.. Im about 200 pages in and im finding that the more I read, The more I hear brian talking. I feel like these two men have a very similar outlook on both there life & there work.

One quote I highlighted... John is talking to his friend about the book this man had just written " I am pleased with "Not in a day" Dont let it make a slave of you... I mean, If it sells well, people will want another just like it, and dont let them have it. For right at that point of capitulation is the decision wether the public is going to rule you or you your public"

I found this quote very relatedable to Brian, the band, and the 59' sound. There always seem to be a line or two that I sware I have heard come out of brians mouth..(probably just my imagination) Maybe he is influenced by J.S... Who knows! I wouldnt doubt it if he knew the meaning behind the Boss's albums name & decided to give Stienbecks work a look...And Felt like he could really relate to it.

I would highly recommend reading it if you haven't, Lots of knowledge & life lessons!

cheers,

Boy From Little Eden
Awesome find, man. It is definitely a good representation of what seems to currently be the band's philosophy. Definitely like seeing the similarities between these two great artists. Brian is very influenced by literature as we both know
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 pm

hmm really interesting....may have to check this lot out
Back to top Go down

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 3:41 am

I haven't read a ton of Steinbeck, only Of Mice and Men and The Winter of Our Discontent, but I really, really enjoyed them both and have been meaning to read some more of his stuff. I never made the connection between his and Brian's writing before but after thinking about it I can definitely see a similarity in their writing styles, and I'm glad you pointed it out. I'll have to get a copy of "A Life In Letters", sounds like a good read!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 4:01 am

I love what I've read of Steinbeck's work so far. Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath are two favorites. I can definitely see what you're talking about with the comparison to Brian and not just from that quote you shared. I'll have to check out that book now, thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
Commander Vimes
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Commander Vimes

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:30 am

I actually did a comparison between Of Mice and Men and American Slang for english. If I find it, I'll see if there's anything worth posting on here. I can't remember what I wrote.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A life In letters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: A life In letters    A life In letters  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A life In letters
Page 1 of 1