DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out

Go down 
+28
TGAforLIFE
Shrewsbury_Stars
AngryJohnnyN1930
lol_paul_ledoux
Debonair
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
40 Miler
pjk
bringiton_ty
eagles1139
Daire
Jack
Jerseyrain
DeathoftheCool
TGAFAN25
thomas94
steph
mercedesberg
Harbortown
StitchesOnTheRadio
The Last Jukebox Romeo
vamike
rumham
NeverTrustAJunkie
CluckyB
A_Regular
GuitarMike
Clementine
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender
Clementine

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 4:50 pm

40 Miler wrote:
Ha. I edited my post slightly. Sorry to be so rude, but with all the interviews i've seen and shows i've been to, Brian has always maintained that he doesn't like the fame and attention that brings. So i wish people would just let him get on with it in his own way.

The music is what matters. Getting slightly drunk the last show of tour is letting off steam.

Sure, sure. I get what you're sayin. He didn't appear to be just slightly drunk and the other members didn't seem amused. Concern stems form thinking that maybe the music that matters may not be for much longer if he continues sloppy behavior. Isn't that what we would all hate to see, so soon?

Back to top Go down
40 Miler
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 4:55 pm

No i agree with that. But let's not worry about that until it happens. He's writing a new solo record and continuing to tour, he's keeping busy, if it's to stop him thinking about other things then good for him.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 5:10 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
I cannot belive the hysteria caused by one man having a drink or getting a bit drunk and then that launches into a psycho analysis of his current state. Im sure he would be laughing his head off if he read some of the comments

You're right with your first point. But with your comment about him laughing. I actually think he'd be pissed off and a bit freaked out about people speculating about really personal issues which may not even be true.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StateOfLoveAndGaslight

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 5:53 pm

I think people are speculating way too much about the extent of (if any) the problem and especially the cause of any problem. I haven't seen him play "drunk" yet so I can't really say anything personally.

Obviously I don't have a problem with him choosing to drink - BUT given the insufferable and holier-than-thou douche he's been about drinking at times, its more than a little obnoxious to see him getting Eddie Vedder-style sh*tty on stage.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Ok guys lets just keep this topic back on track.

It's fine to discuss whether or not you think TGAs( or Brian) new stage perception is hindering or enhancing their live performance. Live shows are just as fair to be discussed about - as whether or not you like an album.

That being said though- Please steer away from speculation what personal issue(s) may or may not be causing it. It's not anyone's business what goes on in the bands personal lives. Being concerned is one thing but speculating as to a cause is completely another and shouldn't be posted on here.

Comments really shouldn't exceed the likes of: "It seems he has something(s) going on in his life. Wish him all them best"

Brian is usually good at talking when he is ready. This means sources that come from interviews or band member personal, GENERAL PUBLIC, accounts (twitters/instagrams/blogs etc.) Things heard from "close friends" of the band "friend of a friend" do not count. Accounts meant to be private to the outside world do not count as well. (This includes family accounts)

Also please be respectful and respect other people's opinions. Passive aggressive, sarcastic, and back handed comments are really not needed. I was happy to see a few people go back to edit/delete posts that initially were too aggressive. Take a breather before sending a post - walk away for five - ten min. Usually that helps and puts you in a calmer and better place. And remember emoticons always help when you're making a joke or to convey a message. Very Happy

This topic has been ok so far but it's been borderline to over the edge.

So stay friendly and respectful to, the band and, one another!

Thanks!

Feel free to message admins or post in the complaints topic with any issues.
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4293-forum-complaints-constructive-criticisms
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:31 am

Debonair wrote:

Comments really shouldn't exceed the likes of: "It seems he has something(s) going on in his life. Wish him all them best"

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4293-forum-complaints-constructive-criticisms

Most of this post is fairly reasonable, but this part made me shake my head and chuckle. I get what you're saying, but that's micromanaging people's posting to a ridiculous degree. Just in my opinion. No venom or anger. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:44 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

I'd be careful about reading too much into tweets, especially retweets and lyric tweets. Sometimes a person's listening to a song or reads something and it's powerful, they like it, so they repost it. It doesn't mean they're feeling what the tweet says.

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Vanilla_ice+-+word+to+ya+mother
Back to top Go down
pjk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pjk

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:38 am

Jack wrote:
Debonair wrote:

Most of this post is fairly reasonable, but this part made me shake my head and chuckle. I get what you're saying, but that's micromanaging people's posting to a ridiculous degree. Just in my opinion. No venom or anger. Cool
I'd have to agree. We are all just sharing opinions, no harm no foul, we all like the TGA still!

Interesting story: back in their very early days, a few of my brother's friends were drinking with them after a show, and one of the friends offered to buy them all shots. All of them accepted, except Brian, who said he didn't drink.

The only reason all of us are having this discussion is because it is a change to what we're not used to seeing. I think we all agree the performances are still great. I talked to a friend who went to the Denver show on Monday and he said he didn't even notice that Brian was drunk. So it isn't causing any problems as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:05 am

pjk wrote:
Jack wrote:
Debonair wrote:

I'd have to agree. We are all just sharing opinions, no harm no foul, we all like the TGA still!

Interesting story: back in their very early days, a few of my brother's friends were drinking with them after a show, and one of the friends offered to buy them all shots. All of them accepted, except Brian, who said he didn't drink.

The only reason all of us are having this discussion is because it is a change to what we're not used to seeing. I think we all agree the performances are still great. I talked to a friend who went to the Denver show on Monday and he said he didn't even notice that Brian was drunk. So it isn't causing any problems as far as I know.

i think Deb makes a good point, though. true, all of us that have read interviews over the last few yrs & such would naturally find it odd to see Brian drinking w/ abandon now, but if there is anything to discuss, it is if he is different on stage, the alcohol may be the mechanism that causes that, but it's not important in and of itself. and even so, i still think "famous" people are extended a certain amount of privacy & just cause we know what Brian is "showing" on stage doesn't mean we know him one fucking bit. just like his lyrics...they may make ppl feel like we know him, but that may just be a reflection of, oh you know what, i don't fucking care, i'm gonna keep drinking & not pay attention to this thread Smile
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 4:50 am

steph wrote:
... but that may just be a reflection of, oh you know what, i don't fucking care, i'm gonna keep drinking & not pay attention to this thread Smile

Best end of a post ever cheers
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 10:08 am

Also, I'd just like to point out it is perfectly natural (and in my opinion, okay) for hardcore music fans to idolize their favorites to a certain degree. I'm sure a lot of us look up to Brian as a songwriter/singer/whatever. And, by the same token, Brian clearly idolizes Eddie Vedder. He said himself he has a picture of him on his wall. So it's not like Brian is immune from hero worship. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's natural.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender
Clementine

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Jack wrote:
Debonair wrote:

Agreed Clap
Back to top Go down
lol_paul_ledoux
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

i think its funny because at the Cambridge Middle East show in July of last year, Brian asked the crowd to stop being so rowdy because the fans in front where getting smooched. And he also asked, in a joking manner, to stop throwing beer on him because he doesnt drink. or something close in nature.

I could care less about how he acts on stage, as long as it doesnt get out of hand. I personally think the Denver performance is a riot and it shows a different side to Brian.

I know that I am personally anxious and having a beer or 2 (aka or 7 or 8 ), hopes me to loosing up.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

I was a mere few feet away up front on the rail there, Monday night. I don't think he was drunk-drunk. It was definitely the last part of that leg of the tour and it was clear they were feeling it. Brian didn't make the band nervous, or worried, he constantly made them laugh and smile. He wasn't an ass, he was super-charged!

I get the bummed out portion though, but in hindsight, him soaking his hair (with water I THINK) and soaking the audience with water and then jumping all over, hitting the ground, rolling, laughing, laying in a pool of water looking at an upside down some thousand people was something I can never forget NOT because it was crazy but because there was something iconic and timeless about it.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Quote :
because the fans in front where getting smooched

I imagined that they were all kissing and this freaked Brian out. I don't know what that says about me.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 4:27 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :
because the fans in front where getting smooched

I imagined that they were all kissing and this freaked Brian out. I don't know what that says about me.

That you're a lover not a fighter.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm

I can't get the image out of my head.

Brian: "HEY EVERYONE CALM DOWN. PEOPLE ARE GETTING SMOOCHED. WHAT IS THIS."
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 7:10 pm

lol_paul_ledoux wrote:
i think its funny because at the Cambridge Middle East show in July of last year, Brian asked the crowd to stop being so rowdy because the fans in front where getting smooched. And he also asked, in a joking manner, to stop throwing beer on him because he doesnt drink. or something close in nature.

I was one of those "smooched" fans haha. That was the best show because he told them not to crowd surf and because short people don't get as crushed when the stage is low.

But yeah, he said that about the beer and compared it to throwing meat at a vegetarian, haha. I remember thinking this was funny because a couple months earlier I remember seeing him at the 45 shoot and he was drinking a beer and commented on how he'll drink like 1 or 2. I gotta say though, drinker or non-drinker, who really likes beer spilled on them anyway?

Haha Lorraine I'm picturing that now too!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Tumblr_m9axkeCP3X1qbrdf3o1_r1_500
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 8:43 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
lol_paul_ledoux wrote:

I was one of those "smooched" fans haha. That was the best show because he told them not to crowd surf and because short people don't get as crushed when the stage is low.

But yeah, he said that about the beer and compared it to throwing meat at a vegetarian, haha. I remember thinking this was funny because a couple months earlier I remember seeing him at the 45 shoot and he was drinking a beer and commented on how he'll drink like 1 or 2. I gotta say though, drinker or non-drinker, who really likes beer spilled on them anyway?

Haha Lorraine I'm picturing that now too!

Ahhh that show was the first time they played Mullholland Drive, it was fucking awesome.
Back to top Go down
lol_paul_ledoux
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 6:28 am

hahaha fuck. smushed/smooched. same difference. wait, i just got a weird visual of all those TGA kissing infront of them playing. how romantic.
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:31 pm

This has to be the weirdest thread in awhile. lol But... I don't have much room to talk. I haven't been here in awhile. :/

But, he's young...he's a rock star having a good time." Can't blame the fella.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:17 am

eagles1139 wrote:
thomas94 wrote:

btw: I think at the other shows he was playing one of the three guitars, which he apparently didn't do that night..

Yeah see in cases like that, if it was any other artist that a lot of us love (Dave Hause, Chuck Ragan, etc.) we'd be posting this video and saying Wow that was badass. He didn't do anything offensive and didn't forget the lyrics or something so as far as I'm concerned this is fine...It's actually what I'm LOOKING for in a rock show: a moment of pure release where he's going as wild as the crowd is. If a few drinks get him there then that's fine, I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise.

When he goes off stage to vomit or says something offensive, then we can discuss the extent of his drinking. Right now I see no real issues.

Is he singing the song a bit differently? A bit higher?

This vid makes me think he should play less guitar. He seems a bit freer, has a bit more room to "perform" and it gives things a different dimension. They already have two guitars on stage now with Ian, and those songs were recorded with two guitar parts... maybe stripping it back a bit would work better.

I do see the Eddie Vedder aping at points, but I think that would go away and become more his own if he sang without the guitar more often (and I know he's done it on a song here and there for a while, but Backseats has a different energy than, say, Every Cowgirl Gets the Blues).
Back to top Go down
OutlawTorn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OutlawTorn

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:58 am

I know he said before he doesn't drink, but a few drinks on stage, loosens you up and it becomes more enjoyable. He isn't going to fall off the wagon, he has a good head on his shoulders. He's writing for the Horrible Crowes, their music in my opinion, is a bit dark, the is probably getting into that mindset by reading Sylvia Plath poetry.

Everyone chill out.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 2:41 am

I just hope Brian is doing well and is at peace, I would hate to see a personal issue drive a wedge between the band or put stress on the band (Let alone Brian and the bands well being) Brian seems to be a guy with a good head on his shoulders and the people I know that have met them throughout the years have said that the band are great down to Earth dudes. I am not worried its just a blip on the radar hopefully he worked it out or whatever.

If he wants to drink some on stage that's fine it seems to be loosening him up in a good way. I just hope its not a sign of something else. I feel that when you have been listening to a band for years you get attached to the band and who they are. Brian and the guys always gave off the vibe of good dudes from Jersey that love music. So when they drift from that even in the slightest it makes you raise an eyebrow.

Going to see them in Asbury Park Saturday hopefully Brian is in good spirits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out   Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drunkity Drunk Brian = Better Performance and Bummed Me Out
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next