DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'

Go down 
+16
Reinvent good times
JimmyB
bringiton_ty
33RPMHero
matkins
Steve70s
NYYFAN523
Holland
DeathoftheCool
Labhras
njguy99
Jerseyrain
'49mercury
eagles1139
StitchesOnTheRadio
LuceroDiehard
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Empty
PostSubject: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' 20121214-gaslight-anthem-x600-1355502949

By Steve Baltin
December 17, 2012 11:20 AM ET

Gaslight Anthem frontman Brian Fallon knows the New Jersey rockers will be on the road until at least October supporting Handwritten, their breakthrough album released this year. After that, it will be the perfect opportunity to start writing songs for the next record.

"I think some bands stop and they're just like, 'Oh, we made a record, time to make another record.' But you lose something in that," Fallon told Rolling Stone backstage at KROQ's Almost Acoustic Xmas in Los Angeles. "If you start writing your songs now, you've got essentially a year to get all the bullshit out of the way – like all the songs where you're like, 'That's too weird, I don't like that.'"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/gaslight-anthem-singer-it-might-be-the-weird-album-coming-up-20121217#ixzz2FKYshv89

Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm scared, haha. It'll be really odd if I go from "There isn't a single song written by TGA that I don't like" to having to add "...except every song on their latest album". Hopefully I'm just getting ahead of myself. Elsie was a bit different and had to grown on me, now I think it's the best thing Brian's ever done. And if doing something different allows them to grow artistically, can't argue with that.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm

I think a different approach to songwriting is what they need right now. And let's be honest, Brian has promised "big changes" before but they've been minimal so I don't think we have to worry about them becoming a different band or anything.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
And let's be honest, Brian has promised "big changes" before but they've been minimal so I don't think we have to worry about them becoming a different band or anything.

Good point
Back to top Go down
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I think whatever they come out with will be good. And to be honest they have changed. If you listened to Sink or Swim then Handwritten, they're very different sounds but both very good. Now fill in the rest of the albums and EPs and the timeline makes more sense. you can listen to how they got to where they are now. Whatever Studio Album 5, I trust it will make sense in the long run.

And to quote another Rolling Stone Interview pre-handwritten release.

"If you want to hang with us, you've got to grow with us. That's the deal. –Brian Fallon"
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 6:24 pm

In the build up to new albums Brian has come out with all kinds of comments about what it will sound lke, half of them contradict each other so in this very early stage you gotta take it with a pinch of salt. He'll change his mind, those comments just explain his frame of mind right now. In a years time when they're writing etc he will have had many other frames of mind and will have a shit load more ideas by then. Worriers, don't! We'll all like it and yeah it will be a bit different but I'd put money on nothing too drastic.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
In the build up to new albums Brian has come out with all kinds of comments about what it will sound lke, half of them contradict each other so in this very early stage you gotta take it with a pinch of salt. He'll change his mind, those comments just explain his frame of mind right now. In a years time when they're writing etc he will have had many other frames of mind and will have a shit load more ideas by then. Worriers, don't! We'll all like it and yeah it will be a bit different but I'd put money on nothing too drastic.

High Five High Five High Five

Exactly. Remember, Handwritten was supposed to be a huge deviation from what they've done in the past; an entirely new sound. It isn't. It's just Brian being Brian...

And note this quote:
Quote :
"We're looking for some other thing – not some other genre, but something else. And it might not be the favorite of everyone, but [it] might be the 'weird' album coming up. I'm pretty sure it is." Then again, he isn't willing to call his shot just yet. "Every time I end up saying what I think it always ends up being different."
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 6:45 pm

good! more change the better. if any of you jive turkeys wanna hear the same stuff over and over again just put the last four albums on repeat.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:08 pm

so happy
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 pm

I hope its Brand New style weirdness as in transition from Your Favourite Weapon to The Devil and God.. thats what I would hope for. But I cant imagine too much change, we shall see.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 pm

they have to make it weird. they have to do it or else no more gaslight
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Holland wrote:
I hope its Brand New style weirdness as in transition from Your Favourite Weapon to The Devil and God.. thats what I would hope for. But I cant imagine too much change, we shall see.

That is exactly what I am hoping. Brand New changes a lot every album but still stay true to themselves. Brian never has hid his love for Brand New, either.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 pm

'49mercury wrote:
I think whatever they come out with will be good. And to be honest they have changed. If you listened to Sink or Swim then Handwritten, they're very different sounds but both very good. Now fill in the rest of the albums and EPs and the timeline makes more sense. you can listen to how they got to where they are now. Whatever Studio Album 5, I trust it will make sense in the long run.

That's so true, and I love that about them. Most artists don't seem to change up their sound enough. These guys tend to do it the perfect amount. I love that I can be in the mood for one of their albums in particular because of how it sounds or I can put them all on shuffle and not think anything of their differences.

I do find it funny though how many people are saying "yay, more change the better" when right after Handwritten came out, lots of people were saying "oh no, they changed, it's not bad but not great either." And "I wish it was more like T59S".

Back to top Go down
'49mercury
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
'49mercury

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
'49mercury wrote:

That's so true, and I love that about them. Most artists don't seem to change up their sound enough. These guys tend to do it the perfect amount. I love that I can be in the mood for one of their albums in particular because of how it sounds or I can put them all on shuffle and not think anything of their differences.

I do find it funny though how many people are saying "yay, more change the better" when right after Handwritten came out, lots of people were saying "oh no, they changed, it's not bad but not great either." And "I wish it was more like T59S".

To me all the albums hold a particular perfection about them and I love all of them equally which is why I initially was like O NO THE WEIRD ALBUM then read the article and went "O yeah, brian always says this and the result is always awesome". A little change shows growth and maturity, they're not angry 20yr olds any more. they're settled down a bit and know their sound.

Also this is quite a ways off so he could decide to completely change that idea and go a whole other way between now and when he starts getting into a final draft pre-recording.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 am

Yea you never know with these "Brian says he wants make a record which sound like...". I remember he wrote in his diary something like maybe early 2011 he said that the new record are gonna be very bluesy and sound like Dire Strait. Or something. But then it kept chancing. I cant see them doing like totally 'weird' album like for example Radiohead did with Ok Computer and after that with Kid A even more 'weirder' especially compared to Bends. Maybe he do the second Horrible Crowes and revival tour and wants to make a Rock record again Rolling Eyes Smile. But whatever. As long as its good I dont care...

Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am

The Gaslight Anthem reveal Pearl Jam inspiration on next record New Jersey band already have plans mapped out for album number five

The Gaslight Anthem frontman Brian Fallon claims that Pearl Jam have inspired his band's plans for their next album.

The New Jersey four-piece, who only recently released their fourth album 'Handwritten', already have ideas for their fifth LP according to frontman Brian Fallon. He told Rolling Stone: "I want to do the 'No Code' record [Pearl Jam's fourth album], that one. They did these three rock records, and [then] they all of a sudden went left turn. And everybody went, 'What the hell?' Then later, five years, they went, 'This is amazing.'"

He added: "We're searching for something new to do with songwriting, rather than just piecing together verses and choruses in more of a traditional sense. We're looking for some other thing – not some other genre, but something else. And it might not be the favourite of everyone, but [it] might be the 'weird' album coming up. I'm pretty sure it is."

ttp://www.nme.com/news/the-gaslight-anthem/67772
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
'49mercury wrote:

maybe they weren't the same ppl? there's more than a handful of ppl on here santa
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 am

Pearl Jam had also sold shitload of records to reach their No Code record - not sure TGA have as much leverage as that?
Back to top Go down
matkins
A Contender
A Contender
matkins

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 pm

How much of a say does Mercury have? I was just wondering what might happen if they came up with something completely off the wall. Would Mercury have the right to ask them to change it? I really don't think TGA would do that, but I'm curious nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm

matkins wrote:
How much of a say does Mercury have? I was just wondering what might happen if they came up with something completely off the wall. Would Mercury have the right to ask them to change it? I really don't think TGA would do that, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Gaslight Anthem drummer Benny Horowitz talks --Oct. 2011

We’ll see, man. I’m a worst-case scenario guy. I went into this with as much skepticism as you could possibly have, and even me, the neurotic, paranoid guy, I’m comfortable with the [record] deal, I’m comfortable with everything we’ve built and everything we’ve done, and as long as I’m comfortable with the songs that come out, I really don’t give a fuck, man. I don’t. I don’t have any scruples about what we did, and as long as I’m proud of the music that comes out, I sorta don’t give a fuck what happens.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/gaslight_anthem_drummer_benny_horowitz_interview_itunes_session

Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Mercury wants to make as much money as possible - that's why they are in business! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Steve70s wrote:
Mercury wants to make as much money as possible - that's why they are in business! Twisted Evil

Yep--like INSTAGRAM

Instagram Can Now Sell Your Photos Without You Knowing

http://fox4kc.com/2012/12/18/instagram-can-now-sell-your-photos-without-you-knowing/
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:14 pm

bobbyw24 wrote:
Steve70s wrote:

Yep--like INSTAGRAM

Instagram Can Now Sell Your Photos Without You Knowing

http://fox4kc.com/2012/12/18/instagram-can-now-sell-your-photos-without-you-knowing/

Mad
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 pm

matkins wrote:

I hope they don't have much say. I mean, sure they should have a little, but when it all comes down to it, it should be up to the band to decide what they want to do in the future. If Mercury doesn't like it, they can drop it. I am sure the band wouldn't have a very hard time finding another label. Haha, but I guess they should play it safe for a little bit more before they get wild.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Im sure they wouldnt have a probelm getting another lable but it would depend how long they have signed with mercury for. Mercury im sure have a lot of input with TGA as theyre a buisness and everyone knows reputations of major's
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'   Brian  says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian says band plan to Experiment on Next Record --'Might Be the Weird'
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next